“Well managed hostel, great stuff.”
Review of Barra Guest Hostel

Barra Guest Hostel
Ranked #23 of 158 Salvador B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed over New years, 2012 and was sad to leave. I felt it's a nice place to stay for single travelers. They have a caipirinha hour and the communal large table for breakfast is inviting to meet each other.

The owners are always around to help, emails answers on time, staff is incredibly helpful. One feels welcome. Even in hectic New Years time.

Locations is great, feels safe and close to the beach (walk) and party area Verlmelho (taxi).

Clean rooms, good breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank jsilberhorn
Barra Guest H, Owner at Barra Guest Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

We were all giving our best to make you guys have fun saying buy to the Old Year and Wellcoming the New Year, it was fun, great time and it was a pleasure to have you here :)

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Barra Guest Hostel was absolutely wonderful. Best stay at a hostel I have had in any of my travels. It was extremely clean, with air conditioning in the rooms and an en suite bathroom in every room, complete with the biggest lockers I have ever seen in a hostel, allowing you to store your entire suitcase with no worries (not that I worried anyway; it was very secure). But most importantly, the people were wonderful. I made so many friends that I didn't even feel like I was traveling alone. Keyko is a doll, always willing to help, and the staff in general is very happy and fun. Easy walk to the beach and the bus, and the tour guide the hostel recommends is excellent. I wouldn't stay anywhere else, and I was very sad to leave. It felt like a home away from home. Also, I can't forget the free caipirinhas every night. Truly a special experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank RuthieLD

Thank you Miss Sunshine!!

It was great for us all, we had a great time together, with time we all became very close as you are a very open young lady, wanting to know everything about our culture, curious and easy going. The hostel is also made by the travellers we have and you were a very special guest that everyone wanted to have around.
Hope you come back from US soon, some news here, like the chill out area for you to experiment.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

The hostel is very cozy, spacius rooms, great furniture and extremely clean. Keyko takes very good care of us and help with whatever issue or doubt that shows up! Really lovely place!!! I will come back there soon.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Fgraft
Barra Guest H, Owner at Barra Guest Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Thank you very much, it was really really great to have you girls here at Barra Guest Hostel, whenever you left to somewhere else I wondered if you were coming back and when you did I felt really happy, it was really cool when you guys played the harmonica giving a chill touch to everyone - I hope you carry on spreading this peace everywhere you travel sharing some joy with other travellers, you're really cool girls :)

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Had a very good stay at Barra Guest Hostel. The owner is always around and very generous, always giving advice and directions as needed. She is approachable and helped us with whatever we needed. The environment is very safe and everyone is very friendly here.
In response to the review bellow, I am very surprised to hear that this was the reaction of the owner. In my own experience she was very invested in making the experiences of her guests positive. I am sorry to hear if that was your experience, but Brazil is a wild country and travelers should always heed to the advice of locals.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank rooty_12
Barra Guest H, Owner at Barra Guest Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

You girls were so sweet we all enjoyed when you played the harmonica peacefully. Always smiling and distributing smilies.
So nice to have you around :)

Reviewed October 15, 2012

You'd think that after being assured that my car would be fine if I left it outside the gate, that at least an apology would be due if someone smashed the window (seemingly for fun), right?

And you'd think that if I was forced to spend an extra day in Salvador and spent the entire day getting the window fixed, that considering my room was completely empty that the owner would offer an extra night for free (considering I had just spent 5 days there already) or at least at a discount, right?

Apparently not. The owner's method of dealing with problems is pretending she's unaware of the conversations and events passing in front of her.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank ben t
Barra Guest H, Owner at Barra Guest Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Let's clear things up, shall we???

1) At the check in, though the booking was in YOUR name you gave me your friend's passport. Refused to give yours and took time to handle yours.

2) The number of the phone you have given doesn't exist, neither the e-mail

3) The payment is due at the arrival but you delayed it and I had to insist - such an unecessary situation

4) Your car was parked on the STREET --- why is it MY FAULT??? I offered to go to the Police but you laughed and said that the Brazilian Police is corrupted and wouldn't do anything.

5) YOU have broken my bed - a very solid bed and I didn't charge you a penny - did you offer to pay??? NO!!

6) I was Always saying I was sorry for what had happened to you and really wanted to try to find out why someone would break your car (maybe because you're a troublemaker???)

7) Your check-out was at night and I left you guys at the room till you left, including having a shower and I had not even a " Thank You"

Everything went wrong with you during all your staying in Salvador, everywhere you went. Are you going to blame me about Pelourinho as well?? Every little thing you do always come back to you!!!
Your car broken sure wasn't an accident as you were drank most of time and I'm not sure it happened in front of the Hostel otherwise the neighbours would have listened.

Shame!

Reviewed September 11, 2012

During a long travel, my experiences in various hostels were - mmmh, let´s say not only good..
And as I wanted to enjoy my last four weeks I made a intensive research about Hostels in Salvador. After reading tons of reviews I decided to have a look at the Barra-Guest-Hostel - and it was the best decision I could have made! From the very first moment the familiar atmosphere let me feel not beeing in a hostel but at home. The rooms are perfectly cleaned every day and every room has a seperate bathroom with a standard I only knew from good hotels. The same with the breakfest: every morning the day started perfectly with a huge breakfest where I never missed anything. The friendly staff was helpful in every situation and the whole team seemed to be there only for me. Whenever I had a question or needed some information I had the answer before I could ask ;-). And when I was bit ill I even had a better treatment than in a hospital.
Additionally the Hostel is located perfectly between two beaches and the main sights of salvador are easily and fast to reach. It´s also a very safe place with nice restaurants and bars around the corner. The bus-stop is just 5 minutes to walk and from there I made some nice trips to places that Keyko (the sweetheart of the Hostel) recommended and I never would have found by myself. And I really recommend to do at least one of the tours to must-been-places around salvador which are also completely organized for the guests by the Hostel.
All together I will never forget this wonderful time and I will come back for sure - because when I had to leave the Barra-Guest-Hostel I had to leave my home.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
11  Thank Ronald N

I'm wordless... what can I say?? thank you for staying with us and seing beyond, not being a tourist but a traveller and listening to all the suggestions, asking for things to do, places to go, where to eat, what to eat, etc,etc... It'll be great to have you back!!

Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed there only for 2 days, the owner accepted us as running people. She is super friendly and helpful, cares about a good quality rather than making huge profits.
There is a nice breakfast with "hot food", that means they serve eggs and ohter stuff when you recommend it. Then, there is a Caipi-guy who makes great cocktails, the first one for free.

The rooms are clean, only 4 bed dorms (to the price of a 10bed dorm!), whith a window (which is important for fresh air) and a nice and clean bathroom.

The atmosphere is chilled and not anonyme, it is a hostel to "reload your batteries"

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank dannytuerk
Barra Guest H, Owner at Barra Guest Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Thank you so much for your review, it was very nice to meet you guys here and as I said, I never accept walk ins but you guys were special and I could "feel" it - one of the nicest couples I've met (not only at Barra Guest Hostel but in general).
Keep on enlinghtning the places you both pass by
Warm hug from Salvador!!!