“Superb hotel”

Hotel Casa do Amarelindo
Ranked #1 of 110 Hotels in Salvador
Reviewed July 13, 2008

We stayed at the “Casa do Amarelindo” at the end of march. It was only 4 days but they where fantastic. I was a bit worried about the size of our room, as someone wrote that the cheaper rooms are too small. For us the room was just perfect, good size, absolutely clean and comfortable. I can only reinforce the excellent reviews and thank Didier, Gilles and the staff for such nice place and great service!
Salvador is an incredible city! It is so intense it touches your senses! No need to be afraid, we felt safe all the time.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,110)

Reviewed July 9, 2008

Based on the glowing reports here on TravelAdvisor I spent two weeks at Casa do Amarelindo last month and am still basking in the afterglow of this fabulous holiday. It was as close to perfect as any hotel I’ve ever stayed in, and for all the reasons that previous guests have noted in the 72 reviews preceding this one. I believe that a two week stay *anywhere* can uncover small problems or unexpected difficulties in even the best run hotel but it just didn’t happen in this case... never an off-key moment!

As so many travellers have posted in detail descriptions of the hotel, the very much hands-on owners, the ambience, staff including Sammy--bartender extraordinaire and creator of the best caipirinha anywhere--and the grand duchess Prunelle, who can be found most afternoons holding court in the bar or lobby, I’ll skip that part and write about some of the daily experiences which made my stay so special.

I loved Pelourinho and spent lots of time just wandering around the streets, looking in shops and galleries, sitting out at cafes and watching the very interesting world go by. When you step out of the hotel it’s like entering a psychedelic world-- people, music, brilliant colors, constant movement --the activity is ongoing from morning until late at night, and it’s very hard not to get swept up in it. But it is safe to do so, and I found myself going out after dinner most nights and taking in the scene, thanks to the special tourist police force who patrol the area 24 hours a day making it about the safest place in Brazil.

Although the historic Pelourinho area is closed to traffic there is still lots of street noise, but the amazing thing is that once back at the hotel in your bedroom with the door closed there is no noise at all! I asked the owners about this phenomenon, and they explained that a first priority when rebuilding the hotel was to provide completely sound-proofed bedrooms. This is a major asset; even given the other wonderful features of the hotel I don’t think I could have lasted out a week if I couldn’t have returned to the peace and quiet of my room each night.

In one of the small shops facing Terreiro de Jesus I found a notice in English tacked on the wall offering Portuguese lessons; I called the telephone number and arranged with the teacher, Cristiane, to give me daily lessons at the hotel. This certainly enhanced my Pelo experience and was at the same time lots of fun... she was a gifted teacher and I was surprised at how much I learned.

The 24 hour breakfast is a cool feature... sometimes I didn’t get up and moving until nearly noon but it was no problem, breakfast was always served with a smile and usually it was enough to tide me over until evening. I ate in the hotel restaurant all but one night during my stay and was delighted with the menu: it is unusual in that it is ‘Bahian fusion’ which translates to Bahian dishes which have been lightened up and turned into delicious healthy fare. Everything I ordered was terrific, and the only thing that I could have wished for in addition would have been sorbets on the dessert menu.

The Brazilian “valentine’s day” fell during my stay and it was celebrated with a festive dinner in the restaurant that evening... it was an extraordinary feast and although I was on my own I enjoyed every minute of it. I’m attaching an image of this special menu; this gives a good idea of the kinds of dishes found on the regular menu too.

Gilles and Didier, the owners, were the most helpful, gracious hosts I’ve ever come across; they keep on top of everything that happens at the hotel and still have enough energy and enthusiasm to charm their guests and make them feel completely at home. It was really a wrench to get in the car the last day and be driven away from my “home away from home” to the airport, but the trip was made much easier because Gilles accompanied me, ran interference with the TAM staff, and saw that all my luggage was correctly tagged and loaded on the belt.

I certainly plan to make this a yearly holiday, I don’t know of another place where I can feel so relaxed and happy, have such superb food and accommodations, wonderful owners and staff, and a ring-side seat in the center of a gorgeous historic city. My only regret is that I didn’t bring my laptop along as the main floor public rooms all have wireless!

Recommendation: make arrangements ahead of time with the hotel for airport pick-up. Their vehicles have permission to enter the narrow street where the hotel is located but taxis do not.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank primrose87
Reviewed July 7, 2008

First time visitors to Brasil went to Rio first (not impressed) then Salvador for 4 days. Hotel staff were very attentive and FRIENDLY.
Rooms and restaurant are excellent. Location was right in the middle of historical district could not ask for a better place to soak up that Bahian atmosphere.We recommend highly that you stay there you won't be disappointed.

Darryl, Kim, Ivy and Phyllis

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2008

This is a fantastic little hotel. We stayed there toward the end of May 2008. If you wish to stay in the historic district of Pelourinho, this is the place. The staff, led by owners Didier and Gilles, are incredibly friendly and helpful, always willing to go the extra mile; the property is impeccable; and the food in the restaurant (modern cooking inspired by traditional Bahian cuisine) is superb (plus they have a great selection of cachacas for the perfect caipirinha). There is also a very nice rooftop terrace, a pool, and a small but perfectly adequate gym. A wonderful hotel!!!

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed June 10, 2008

A small boutique hotel (10 rooms) that could easily be at the top of the offerings of "Small Luxury Hotels of the World", gives sterling service, lavish and lush decor and all the comforts and conveniences of home.

Personalized service by the owners (purchasing and delivering theatre tickets), friendly and accommodating staff, and a facility kept to the standards of 5 star hotels of Europe. What they say about their hotel in their brochures and ad are actually what you get--the very best.

Don't miss this treasure when you go to Salvador--you'll not find what this hotel offers anywhere else in Salvador!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank bwsquared
Reviewed June 2, 2008

My husband and I picked Casa do Amarelindo based on the TripAdvisor reviews and we were NOT disapponted!
Although the hotel is in one of the old colonial buidings in Pelourinho, and is around 200 years old, the owners Gil and Didier gave it a makeover head to toe in a wonder modern style with all kinds of creature comforts like flat screen TV and a wonderful walk-in shower. But what we liked the most was the friendly staff, like Samy, who loved to practise his English with us and was so sweet, and Gil who really went out of his way to be helpful, like walking us over to the big Cathedral sound and light show so we wouldn't miss it. We really enjoyed the view, from both the pool and the roof-top bar, of the bay. We had breakfast everyday overlooking the atrium, there that was a lot of yummy food and also tried a dinner there too, that allowed us to sample some Bahian influenced cuisine. I would recommend Casa do Amarelindo to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2008

The rooms are absolutely beautiful. It was a pleasent surprise. Nothing is missing. I could spend a week there and never leave the building. The view from the pool is great. The breakfast was excellent and the staff is very helpful. I can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple