“Romantic little gueshouse with gorgeous views!”
Review of Pousada do Pilar

Pousada do Pilar
Ranked #58 of 111 Hotels in Salvador
Toronto, Canada
“Romantic little gueshouse with gorgeous views!”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I stayed there for 3 nights by myself but wished I was there with my loved one the whole time. It's a romantic place! This little guesthouse is slightly out of the way and yet within walking distance from the old town. It's on a quiet street and away from the hustle and bustle of the town center. However, within 10 minutes walk on the STEEP cobblestone streets, you are in the middle of everything.
The views from the rooftop patio are spectacular! I spent a full hour having breakfast every morning and taking in the amazing views. Apparently, it's the only guesthouse that has an elevator in the old town. I never used it myself. But for someone with knee problems or heavy luggage, it would come in handy.
I was there during the low reason. The owner graciously changed my street view room to an ocean view room and what a difference it made! I was on the balcony every evening watching the spectacular sunset while sipping a cold bear. It doesn't get better than that!
Thanks to this little gem, I really enjoyed my trip to Salvador. In fact, I loved it more than Rio!

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room even if it costs a little more. It's worth it!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank TravelEnthusiastYYZ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We enjoyed our 3 night stay very much. The location in the old town is perfect for exploring. We loved the colourful street view from our top floor room and didn't find it noisy at all. There is another lovely view from the breakfast room terrace at the back of the property. Also a big thank you to the owners who made the effort to find me at our next port of call in Ilha Grande. They got in touch to let me know I had left my jacket behind and said they would post it back to the UK - it arrived this morning!

Room Tip: Street view is lovely
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank imm58
Haastrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I liked the place as it is perfectly located in the old town, but is is somewhat remote and not safe after dark. After my booking thet still managed to raise the price by 40 euro per night because of the soccer conferedations cup, but this was a triack as the place was >50% empty. For that reason I truly do not know (and they did not explani) why I was goiven the worst room of the pouda, at the street side directly above the entrance, lot of noise starting at 5am, but worse that romm had not been used for months as the batteries of both airco and tv were leaking and out of juice and the bed linen was damp and foul smelling. After complaining they gave me another room for the second night, but this place was obviously poorly organized and managed, as there was zero sign of understanding and apologie

Room Tip: examine the room first, ask for 2nd or better 3rd floor
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank soek
Pousada_do_Pilar, Gerente at Pousada do Pilar, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
The reservation of this cliente was made through his agency!
Before confirm, he knew the category of your room ( street view) and the amount they would pay.
We have only 12 rooms ( 05 rooms street view and 07 bay view). We don't have rooms better or worst. All offer the same quality! The the bed linen is new and is cleaned by a specialist laundry !

The problems with the battery could be resolved!
Thanks !
Reviewed March 31, 2013

When the car dropped us off in a little street I was unsure of the location but when we travelled on the super "fast lift" to our room and opened the doors to the balcony we knew we had chosen the right place. And in the morning it just got better breakfast is taken outside on the balcony at the top of the building fantastic views and the lady's prepared the fresh breakfast (fresh coffee) best breakfast so far :) Ideally situated for exploring Salvador and even an old elevator down to the lower town (When its open) Beware the roads are very steep and very uneven for walking on. On reception was (Mr P) he really went out of his way to help us and gave us some great tips. I would go back. Philip may be see you in Europe?

Room Tip: Room 8 Amazing
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gosearch
Scottsdale-AZ
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Location:
We had no car, we either walked or used the bus.
The pousada (little Hotel) is located Between 10 to 15 minutes from the Pelourinho, ups and downs, cobblestones, small or non existent side walks, not a big deal for health and young people, but it was a problem for my 71 years old mother with a weak knee.
Nearest pharmacy is about 20 minutes in the opposite direction.
Bus stops are either 20 minutes away towards the Pelourinho or about 20 minutes away towards Cidade baixa (lower city).
The pousada is within walking distance from most of the historical center attractions, we had to take the bus to go to: Igreja do Bonfim (Bonfim Church), projeto Tamar (Tamar project, this we actually got a full day tour), and farol da barra (museum)

Room:
Very nice, with elevator, air conditioning, safe, good furniture, cable TV, nice shower, very clean and well decorated.

Noise:
Quiet, can hear some noise from the streets but not bad at all, I am picky with noise and I can't complain at all.

Breakfast:
Starts at 7:30, but they can prepare something for you if you need to leave early, typical Brazilian with fruits, breads (made in there) cakes, juices, coffee, milk, but I think they can prepare eggs if requested. I really liked a papaya passion fruit jelly they served, I found out they make it there.

Front desk:
Very helpful and knowledgeable, we got everything we asked for, like changing a mattress, early breakfast, etc... but I would go to the visitor center to get information, in the visitor center the maps are free and I found they explain things very well and they know about the busses too.

Visitor Center:
In the Pelourinho, it appears to be always open, that is the place I recommend to ask all questions, it is that good.

Eating out:
Pelourinho is strange, not all restaurants open for lunch, Sundays are very difficult to have a decent lunch in there, there aren't many cheap & good options, some places we liked are:
Cafelier, French style, good and close to the Pousada, but not always open, I could not figure out when it is open.
Senac, there are 2 restaurants here, one is eat all you want, good to know the local food because I think they have it all there, the other less expensive option is the por quilo (per weight, 1 kilo about 2 pounds).

Violence:
We stayed there a whole week, we saw nothing during week days, but Saturday and Sunday were kind of crazy: Saturday morning we saw police beating up hard two drunk guys, I thought it was more than what was needed and left us with a bad impression. There are lots of police men in there that gives a sense of security, but then Saturday evening we saw police chasing two guys that robbed an older turist. Sunday we met a lady in the Tamar tour
that told us someone in her hotel was robbed on Saturday. Hummm.

Things to do:
Tamar project, very nice tour to see young turtles and how they are protect also nice beach.
Farol da Barra, nice beach and has a very interesting Navy museum, I learnt some things in there.
Pelourinho, interesting to stroll around.
Show folclorico ( Folk show ), interesting show, high level capoeira, and afrodances are performed.
Sao Francisco Church, must see.
Bonfim Churce, just OK, it has some value to the locals, it is possible to take nice pictures because the gates are very colorful.

I hope this review helps you!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank __-___-_____
Delden, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This Pousada is very nice. The staff is very friendly. The Pousada is located in the historic centre of Salvador. The neighbourhood requires an iron door that has to be locked all the time. We wanted to do some sightseeing of the historic centre, but that was a party going on. A local couple advised us not to merge in the crowd, so we went back to a restaurant next to the Pousada.
After that we went back to our room and worked on emails and reading our books.
In the morning we found out that this Pousada had the best shower I have ever experienced!!
Also the breakfast was very well. It is on the 3 floor, offering a nice view over the harbour of Salvador.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jan S
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed here after spending 10 days moving up the coast from Rio, and after some of the places we stayed along the way, this was like an oasis in the desert! We had a seaview room which was well worth the extra money, and the terrace was large and lovely. The entire facility is very well done, modern in decoration, yet still charming and unique. It is quite close to Pelourinho, and was well secured. I highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Try to book a room looking out over the bay. There is little to see in the street view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple