“Cosy - will do for 2 nights”
Review of Pousada do Pilar

Pousada do Pilar
Ranked #58 of 111 Hotels in Salvador
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Cosy - will do for 2 nights”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Located in historical side of town, so good for sight seeing. This isn't a hotel with too many luxuries. It is just a cosy bed and breakfast. The rooms are spacious and very well maintained! They have around 2 laptops which you can use if you want to check email etc (free of cost). Loved the breakfast floor which had good views. They have about 4 - 5 fresh items for breakfast, not too lavish but fine by us. I met only two of the staff at front desk - a lady during the day shift and a gentleman in the evening shift. Both were very very friendly and helpful. Would have been nice if they atleast served dinner - because the area didn't seem very tourist friendly. We were a bit nervous to step out at night. I'm sure it is safe - the hotel staff convinced us that as long as we don't carry valuables (huge cameras etc.) we'll be fine. I guess if you want to stay in a touristy location you have to pick one of the beach side hotels, where you can go for walks by yourself without getting strange looks from people. To summarize - the hotel itself was good. The area was just ok.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 22, 2011

This charming pousada in a quiet street has clever designed rooms. Most rooms have lovely balconies with a great bayview. The staff is very kind and helpful, most speak English. And they offer all day long excellent coffee in their beautiful, spacious lobby. Wifi works fine and is free.
The good (basic) breakfast is served at the rooftop with an even better bay- and cityview. The sound inside the very slow elevator reminded us (with a smile) of the Doctor Who police box.
It is not easy to find a good and strategic located pousada in the Pelourinho, the most interesting part of Salvador. Pousada do Pilar, where we stayed for five days, is probably your best option in the midrange category. The location is not ideal, because the main square in Pelourinho is a 10 min. walk, and the going is steep down hill and up again to visit the centre of Pelourinho. If that´s a problem, you can take a taxi. You have to use them often if you want to explore 'down town' Salvador (Bonfim church, beaches, museums). Remember always to look at the taximeter that should show a display with a 1 during daytime (06.00 - 21.00). Otherwise you pay the more 'expensive' nightrate (2). Safety in suspicious neighborhoods is another reason to take a taxi.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pluskat
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 8, 2011

Speaking as an experienced world traveler and a repeat visitor to Brazil, I found the Pousada do Pilar to be one of the worst stays I've had anywhere on the planet. Not because of the accommodations, which were better than average, or because of the location, which was okay though not spectacular. I'm white and my girlfriend is black. I speak fluent Portuguese, but it was her first trip to Brazil so she was at the entry level with the language. We're from the U.S. and are not strangers to funny looks and worse from intolerant strangers. I'm also fairly aware of the forms racism takes in Brazil, and that the image of a black woman (who happens to look like a Bahiana) and a white man creates certain assumptions in some Brazilians' minds. But we weren't prepared for what happened at this pousada.

Arriving at the pousada door after a Saturday night out, we were let in by the portero on night duty. I told him in a clear voice what room we were staying in, so that he could give us the room key. He immediately informed me in a very stiff manner that "irregular persons are not allowed in the pousada" (a literal translation of what he said). I suspected racism right away, and asked him what he was talking about. He repeated himself and said I'd have to pay extra to bring a 'guest' in. Which told me two things: 1) he assumed my girlfriend was a prostitute, and 2) they seem to allow this kind of thing at the pousada. I told him he was being very offensive and racist, and that this was my wife (in Brazil there are two definitions of 'wife/husband', one of which is a kind of common-law version when two people live together). I think my vehemence in confronting him caused him to rethink, because he then shuffled some papers on the desk and said he'd confused me with another single guest who was staying at the pousada. This in spite of the fact that I'd clearly stated upon entry what room we were in. I again told him he was racist and that I'd be speaking with the manager. He denied the racism, claiming it was a case of mistaken identity. We got the same song and dance from the manager the next day, and NO APOLOGY FROM THE POUSADA OF ANY KIND, which didn't surprise me much since the manager and the doorman had clearly gotten their stories coordinated. Though not surprised, this denial only added insult to our injury.

I would say these people need to learn how to run a business at the very least. Amateur and parochial. Minus five stars.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
20 Thank ConsciousP
Uberlandia, MG
Reviewed January 30, 2011

I remained for almost a week at Pousada do Pilar with my wife while traveling in my honeymoon. The stay was good, the staff is very polite and helpful, they gave us lots of tips about where to go and how to go. Even Pelourinho is not a quiet and clean place to be, it's a postal card from Salvador. The Pousada do Pilar has few rooms, but all of them seems to be perfect to take some rest and enjoy your trip in the capital of Bahia state.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tvsoliveira
New York
Reviewed January 27, 2011

We stayed at Pousada do Pilar for 3 nights in Jan 2011 with two very young children. We arrived late night from the Amazon and as soon as we came to our room - we were delighted. It was large and open and we had a giant balcony. We had one of the suites with the ocean view and there were two extra beds for the children and there was just so much room for the kids to run around! We loved it!

We were picked up at the airport by the pousada driver and as we were driving up to the Pelo` I started having doubts about my choice so I had my fingers crossed. But the pousada is so charming. They serve breakfast on the terrace, and its a really nice continental breakfast. The ladies are very sweet. They even did our laundry (hand-washed!!!), we saw them drying from our balcony.

Its a little bit away from the main square but we did the walk quite easily carrying our babies so its not that big a deal! Cabs are easily available. Beware of taking cabs though, there are many one ways and cabs will happily take you for a ride around town once they know you're a tourist!

Oh, the best thing about this pousada is Filipe. I was already impressed with him by the efficiency of his replies to my various requests by email. But he is just the most helpful, polite and friendly person. He even drove us to the Barra in his brand new car. He was always full of advice and recommendation, and spent an hour on the phone, translating for my husband, confirming the rest of our trip! He is very nice!

I saw the last two reviews about the linen and mattress -we did not have the same issues but may be they stayed in a different room. We found the room very comfortable with a great view of the bay!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank travelomnewyork
Mérida, Venezuela
Reviewed January 20, 2011

When travelling I'm happy if my accommodation offers three basic things: a comfortable bed to have a good rest, a clean decent bathroom to clean up, and a good breakfast to start the day the right way. If the place is nice and well located, that's a plus but not a requirement. The bed I had in this pousada was a complete disaster: the mattress was collapsed, the sheets were so small that hardly could cover the mattress, leaving me in plain contact with hundreds of previous users, and the pillows smelled, badly. So, although most of what is said about this place is true: location, decoration, etc., for me, if I can't get a good sleep, it is unacceptable and wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank carlutxo
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Thouroughly enjoyed our stay at the Pilar. Can recomend without hesitation.
The rundown;
The Pelourinho is the ancient part of the city and is in the process of being restored. The Pilar has been completely redone and is gorgeous. The drive through the Pelourinho made me nervous at first but I was completly won over after being there only a few minutes.
The staff was awesome. Filipe went far above and beyond for us on many occasions and made our entire stay amazing, as well as arranged for us a great getaway for a few days at their sister Pousada in Morro de Sao Palao. The cleaning staff and front desk staff were all great, but Filipe made the trip memorable.
The rooms are HUGE for South America standards. We had a view of the ocean with a verranda that made us not want to leave the room. We often ended the evening with some wine on the verranda watching the view. The bathrooms are big and updated and there is a couch and wardrobe. The only thing I had an issue with was the bed and the linens. The bed was much too firm but what really gets me personallly is the linens. The sheets were gauze like and there was no mattress pad between the sheets and mattress so you feel the mattress. This is my pet peeve and didnt seem to bother my partner but if you are a bed guy like me it can be disturbing. (I travelled weekly for work for 3 years and am a bed snob, this is mostly my issue but the property could spend some money on the final touch to complete the transformation)
Breakfast is served on the roof with sweeping views of the bay. The food is typical continental with lots of breads, cakes, fruits and some meats and cheese. There is fresh juice and coffee.
It is a bit of a walk to the closed off pedestrian portion of the Pelourinho and there are hills. Its not a big deal but be prepared. The staff gives great recomendations for food and we even just did a shot in the dark a few times with amazing results.
Stay here, no doubt. Cannot recomend higly enough. Only issue for me was the beds and linens.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple