“Excellent experience, very good teaching”
Review of Dialogo Brasil

Dialogo Brasil
More attraction details
Owner description: Portuguese language courses, including accommodation, transfer,cultural excursions and lectures, Capoeira, Samba, Salsa, Gastronomy, Yoga and Surfing. Special Programs for universities, organizations, volunteering and internship.
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I studied at Dialogo during 6 weeks in the summer 2012 and arrived with little knowledge of portuguese, though I already could speak spanish. My stay there was excellent in many aspects : first, teachers were very good, and adapted their teaching to the students' interests and levels. They were flexible to have you jump a level if they was that your progress was faster than expected and always welcoming. A very important aspect for me, besides the teaching, was also the cultural part. At Dialogo, teacher were particularly keen on sharing their brazilian culture, telling you about events, shows, and any cultural venue that would happen in the city. In short, an excellent stay, with perhaps the chance to have been there with few other students, so classes would be 2 to 5 students most.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I loved my class at Diálogo and studying in Salvador was a great experience. I spent a month with Kleber and though I paid for group classes, most of the time I had individual lessons. My language skills improved tremendously and while travelling in Rio after my month at Diálogo, I was mistaken for a Brazilian.
The school is in a great neighborhood with fairly easy access to other areas such as the historic and tourist center of O Pelourinho and others like Rio Vermelho.
I stayed with a host "family" that wasn't very welcoming, but I don't think the school placed me there knowing that it wasn't an ideal situation for foreign students. Other students had wonderful hosts, but students also have the option of staying in a nearby hostel if they prefer.

***Note: I studied at Diálogo in August 2009. The options for date of travel don't go that far back.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I had excellent teachers. Acommodation was excellent! I cannot thank Dialogo enough for my confidence with Portuguese now! thanks all

1  Thank tanyta90
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I spent three months in salvador to learn the portuguese, and this school was the biggest mistake i've ever done because their teachers were not enough to teach the language, even most of them didn't graduate from the branch of teacherness from their university. after three months i had to go back to my country which poor portuguese thanks to them

7  Thank guideosman
See more reviews
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I enjoyed the class experience and was able to make considerable improvements in Portuguese. Group classes were engaging. They had no more than five-seven students, at least for the time I was there. Individual lessons in the afternoon may be not as efficient because their 50 minutes go fast and because not always objectives are met.
More efforts can be put in delivering a clear information regarding classes. Although I had paid for individual classes in the afternoon, I was told that my second week I may end up without them because of lack of professors. I ended up having the classes anyway, but not at the time I expected.
Particular emphasis should be given on assisting students with getting involved into activities outside the school where to meet and socialize with other Brazilians, very important for practicing the language. The Capoeira and Dance classes at the school cannot and do not fulfill that need.
Outside activities would be particularly helpful because people in Salvador, at least the ones I met, are not reliable when it comes to social relations. If they tell you they would meet you, they either show up one or more hours later or never show up at all. They may give you their phone numbers and emails but never reply to your emails nor answer your calls. For example, one teacher at Dialogo school, who graciously gave us the students her email, never replied to any of the emails I sent her.
Maybe it is just part of the local culture. I find Salvador the most beautiful city in Brasil in every sense, but the motto for everything seems to be "Calma!", the pace of life is "devagar", and the goal for many of its people is a daily "Carnaval".
Overall though the experience at Dialogo was a positive one and a fun one. And what I learned there helped me to pass the Portuguese test I had in the US for my company. So thank you, Dialogo! :-)

2  Thank AntonioinNYC