“Nice, colourful accommodation!”

Ranked #48 of 111 Hotels in Salvador
sweden
“Nice, colourful accommodation!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This house really stands out from others with its beauty and colours! We were impressed by the interior when we arrived as well as with the service. Nicely decorated all over! Beautiful terrace and day room where one can relax and enjoy the bay view or watch tv since the rooms don't have one. Our room on the top floor with the bay view was very nice and big but double bad was rather small so we (my husband and I) had to sleep on separate beds since it was too warm to squeeze and there were 5 bed-places in that room. The room is nicely decorated as the rest of the house and has a nice terrace but the lightening is very week so it was almost impossible to read there. Another thing to improve is water drainage from the roof; it rained a lot when we were there and the noise from the water falling from the roof on the terrace was rather annoying. So it might be better with a room on the first floor if it's raining. WIFI is free of charge but very weak, you have to stay on the ground floor or next to the modem to get the signal. The breakfast served on the terrace was very good with all varieties of food.

Room Tip: Noisy top floor rooms if raining. Otherwise beautiful!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LolaSweden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Beautifully decorated place with a warm welcome, stunning views, feast for breakfast and placed just on the edge of the Peilourinho which gives good access without the noise. We arrived on a festival day and the place was buzzing. Good experience and a demonstration of how the Salvadorians celebrate carnival in a more demotic way than the Cariocas.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
EricGougui, Owner at Pousada des Arts, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thank you very much for your nice review. San Jhon Festival is very important in North east Brazil and very bad known. This year it was very good in the historical center.
Paris, France
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The BEST place ever. This is THE pousada you want to sleep in when you stay in the Pelourinho. It's gorgeous, all decorated with bright colours and plants and hamacs and old-fashioned furniture. The breakfast on the terrace with the port view is great, as much as the rooms on both sides (sea or street view)... Even the key to the rooms are part of all the romance of the Pelourinho. The staff is absolutely lovely, speaks both French and English and they kept one of my bags for me for one week, when I was travelling in the region. You cannot miss this pousada. Just Go.

Room Tip: All rooms on the upper floors are GREAT.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank karine2013
EricGougui, Owner at Pousada des Arts, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
It has been a pleasure to receive you.
We hope to see you again,
Best regards,
Eric
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I really do not understand how could this pousada won the award!! My husband and I stayed in this pousada for 4 nights in September. Due to the good reviews on the pousada, I tried my best to get in to this pousada and i believed that We would have a good stay here. At that stage, Eric was very helpful replying my emails and tried his best to secure a room for me in his pousada. He arranged a car to pick us up from the airport, we were charged to the normal taxi fare RS90 but this SMALL OLD SMELLY car is belongs to his 'friend' that own a travel agency. On the way to the hotel, she was selling us all the trips that offers from her agency and 'Eric's boat trip'. We wasn't happy with the taxi arrangement.

The hotel really just a run down colorful pousada. We checked in to the room that still have a died cockroach on the bathroom floor, bath towels would never been changed until the 4th days, 2 small bath soaps & 2 rolls toilet papers provided through the 4 days, I went to the reception to request for more supplies on the 4th days as our own soaps has finished. We did not complaint until Eric sale us the worst sail boat trip we have ever been to. He showed us a great video that the boat will stop in a few beautiful places for swim. Lobster, scallop and seafood will be served for lunch and will visit some local fisherman culture. I am seafood lover, I double confirmed with him with RS250 per person, these seafood sure would be served during the trip and he said yes. At the end, the boat trip turned out to be a totally disaster, the boat has no backup engine and navigation lights. we spent 3 to 4 hours to sail with no wind to the island that was only 600m away from the shoal for lunch. Swimming spot, the same place we had lunch, the water is dirty and muddy. Of course then, we were told by Eric that he called the food hut last night to reserve some lobsters and scallops and they told him that they were not available. he knew the day before and i have specified told him that i went to the trip just for the lobster and scallops, but he chose not to mention until we arrived there. there were no lobsters and scallops for lunch for sure, only some crab meat and little prawns moqueca for lunch. On the way back, there were no wind, and the boat has no navigation lights, we sailed in the dark for 2 hours, until a boat offered to tow us back in to the harbour. Ended up we spent RS500 for both of us to sail/ float to the nearby island for a small prawns moqueca dish, swimming at the same lunch place full of boats and motor boats when you swam you could smell the diesel. On the way there, as the pousada was the organizer of this, maybe on the saving cost Method, we were supplied max 3 beers in the whole boat trip until we got to the lunch spot. On the way back there were no beers, so if you joint make sure you bring your own beers! we got stucked on the boat from 9am-9pm, wasted for whole day, shared taxi with 4/5 people to the/back from harbour, at one point I thought we were paying money to join a family boat trip. This really upset me as this is obviously the pousada are trying to save cost with caring about the client's benefits.

The pousada had arranged the same old agent's car to drop us to the airport but we requested a proper taxi then only they canceled that arrangement and has a licensed taxi to drop us to the airport.

We were tired and upset and felt been cheated after the trip. We were supposed to discuss this with Eric during our check-out, but he wasn't around we were not able to. We found the boat experience did not reflect as what was shown to us through the video and the discussion with him. By charging Reis 250 per person, we expected better arrangement and food quality from what have been provided on the boat trip. And there are much better and well organized tours out there but I do not understand why all the tours recommended by this pousada are all from their friends and I checked with the hotel nearby, the tour prices that this pousada charged are far more expensive than other provider.

Later we sent an email to request for refund on the boat trip, guess what, the friendly and helpful owner never replied us and not even an apologize from him. I have travelled a lot over the last 10 years; I am always easy going with the hotels/ B&B that I chose and have never cared too much with the small defects. I have never written a bad review on any hotels that I stayed, but this pousada is the first that made me felt so disappointed and upset. I wrote this very first tripadvisor review for this pousada as I really do not feel that i should sit silent here with all the low quality service provided by this pousada without consider the benefits of the customers. I will never suggested any of my friend to stay in this pousada ever!!!

Room Tip: Double bed is tiny
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Abu555
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Eric & Rosi are a lovely couple with an equally lovely pousada. I highly recommend a stay here. Eric has a boat that he can take his guest on. He is a wonderful host with great drinks, food & stories!

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Kitty2222
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is a great pousada offering a tasty and varied breakfast, clean and colourful rooms, great views of the pelhourina and friendly and helpful staff.

What really stood out though was the decoration of the place. Everywhere you looked there was amazing colour, art, hangings, books, plants. It was a feast for the senses.

At breakfast there were great views of the harbour and a cool breeze coming from the sea.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank paulrossvideoart
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Very special place! Me and my wife on honeymoon loved the place.
Decor:
A beautifully renovated colonial house very colourfull and full of local arts
Rooms:
Very spacious, also full of arts and colors. Hammock on the big balcony
Location:
10-minute walk from Pelourinho, it looked like a safe area.
Breakfast
Very good. In top 3 of all places we stayed in Brazil.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pawel_Warsaw_7
EricGougui, Owner at Pousada des Arts, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Thank you very much for your review about the Pousada. It is very good to receive people from Polska and other country from east Europe,
Best regards,