“Wonderful!”

Ranked #112 of 8,277 Restaurants in Salvador
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful family restaurant with good, fresh, tasty, honest food. Good price, the best we found in salvador for the quality. We liked it so much that we went back for more. Try the appetizer of Siri catado and the Moqueca. We also tried a chicken dish and it was simple and delicious.
Not difficult to find at all, just look for the sign and then go up the stairs.

1  Thank angelamjesus

Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Definitely worth a try! We went to Axego for dinner (after trying to go to Zulu for dinner but it was closed) and it was great. The food was fantastic, great traditional dishes and seafood. Most of the main dishes are meant for two and easily shared. We had the arroz de hauça (coconut rice with shrimp and beef) which was great. I normally don't like coconut things but the rice was well balanced. We also tried the moqueca mista, a Brazilian seafood stew with fish and shrimp and a fantastic broth. The drinks were also good. And best of all we felt like we had a feast and great drinks and our bill came to about US $25-30/person. Great value!

The service was very nice. Limited English so we spoke in French. Either way they are very helpful and have good recommendations.

The only downside was that we were the only ones eating in the restaurant (which wasn't so bad since we were a group of 10). The place deserves more patrons.

1  Thank Magpie2710
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Like other reviewers, I had a hard time finding Axego, but the food I had was so delicious, I want to ensure that everyone looking for it has a chance to try it out.

First of all, neither Google nor Nokia maps was able to find the address: Joao de Deus, 1. For your reference, Google places it at Rua Maciel de Cima, 1. It is located off of Praça 15 de Novembro (15 of November Plaza) at the corner of Largo Terreiro De Jesus and Rua Das Laranjeiras. When you get to the plaza, find the church called Igreja Ordem Terceira de São Domingos. When facing the church, look immediately to the left and go down the street Joao de Deus. You will see the sign for Axego hanging above.

Now the food. I ordered a half portion of the moqueca de camarao (shrimp stew) and it came with a salad, rice, and beans. The stew was a delicious combination of shrimp, coconut milk, dende (palm oil), and spices. I also had a refreshing shake with morango (strawberry) and a dessert of goiaba (guava) in syrup. Total bill came to R$40 or $20 USD.

I was the only person in the restaurant when I went, but it allowed me to practice my Portuguese with the friendly waiter. I recommend Axego and it was a terrific introduction to Bahian cuisine for me!

2  Thank el_Rey_de_SF
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Axego is upstairs (just look for the hanging sign and the stairway, just off Praça da Sé), and is a fairly big restaurant and bar. When we were there in December 2011, there were only six customers (two international tourist couples, and two locals just having a drink). It was all a bit quiet and sad, which is a pity, because the staff was helpful (not much English, but good humoured), the food was good (authentically Bahian... no suprises, lots of seafood, manioc and palm oil), the beer was cold. This was a good meal, and the place deserves more business.

1  Thank Bluey99
Reviewed April 15, 2012

We wanted to sample some authentic Bahian food and had heard about Axego before we tried it. It did not disappoint. The location on a quiet first floor looking over a garden with a cool breeze blowing through was was fine after the bustle of Salvador. The food was excellent, freshly cooked crab and prawn moceca in big portions, with lots of side dishes. The service was friendly and attentive and everthing seemed very clean and well run: the caiprinhas were well made and potent. The bill seemed very reasonable for the quality and quantity of food and the ambience