“Bad, bad, bad.”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Dez de Julho
Ranked #46 of 46 Hotels in Manaus
Reviewed October 28, 2010

This hotel has bad service, grumpy staff, and basic rooms with no windows to the exterior. It wasn't dirty, but the place definintely needs a facelift. Thankfully, it is right off a main street with internet cafes and restaurants nearby. The ONLY reason we stayed there is because Gero Amazon Tours has an office located inside the hotel lobby, and the Gero Tour staff are a godsend - we really couldn't figure out why such a fabulous Amazon company chose this hotel to link themselves to. I would never recommend this hotel unless you are arriving really late at night and departing on a Gero Amazon tour early the next morning.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank globetrotter130
There are newer reviews for Hotel Dez de Julho

Reviewed May 22, 2010

So many negative reviews. Why? The hotel is very basic but clean and with a spectacular location, smack in the center of town and 2 minutes walk from the Opera House. The breakfast is basic but adequate and there is free wifi in the dining room--which I found also extended to my first floor room. The price is right and the hotel is meant as a stopover to/from the jungle. C'mon folks, it does what it is meant to do and there are lots of places where you could spend more and get less.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
6  Thank uskuhlmans
Reviewed March 25, 2010

I found this hotel on Google and stayed here as I was coming close to the end of my 3 month trip in Brasil and wanted to visit Manaus and do a quick tour of the jungle.

I wanted to offer some feedback on my stay as I felt that I had both positive and constructive feedback. Thankfully, I didn't have a horrible experience when I stayed here, but I can see how others can have a bad experience as I feel that the main problem with travelers to Manaus and Amazonia have expectations that cannot be met by anyone. Also, if you have bad luck, you can get robbed anywhere even in your home country.

About Hotel Dez de Julho
I thought the location was great, close to the Amazonas Theater which I wanted to be close to. Manaus in general is quite dirty. This is something that can be deceiving as it has a lot to offer, but again, most travelers to Manaus are not there for staying in Manaus, but traveling into Amazonia, jungle and visiting nature.

The hotel has the feeling that it was either a morgue or a hospital before. I had a hard time falling asleep the first night. I am sensitive to seeing spirits (I know most people don't believe this), but I can tell you that there was a lot of death here. And someone died here on the first floor like the owner or someone related to an owner. Anyway, I won't go on about this as this is not important to most people. The place is not haunted, just spirits that visit and stay behind this place.

The rooms are very cheap and for me there is no difference between a regular room and a suite. The suite is just a larger room, but same plain thing. Again, I think it's fine for the cheap price of this place. I wasn't expecting more.

I left my belongings in the secured closet and quite frankly nothing happened to my things. My honest opinion is that this place has honest workers and quite possibly has bad workers every once in a while that do steal. It wasn't my experience. I think Amazonas people are very humble, honest and friendlier than other Brazilians in other southern states.

Jungle Tour:
As I have learned that I can have more fun by having fewer expectations, I was generally pleased with the jungle tour. From the 8 people in my group, 6 of them were completely unhappy and dissatisfied. I think that the problem with most tourists is that they have extremely high expectations and expect to pay less because they are in a third world country.

Also, the jungle tour companies do a very poor job in explaining what to expect. They simply feed on your illusion that you will get what you expect. My observation is that it would be appropriate to have each person wanting to do a tour, do a questionnaire, so to assess exactly what this person wants. Then, explain what exactly they can do and what they cannot do.

If you think about it, it is not realistic to expect to go deep in the Amazon jungle and do hard core jungle exploration if you are not mentally and your body is not ready for this type of experience. Also, doing a questionnaire can help the jungle tour company put the right people together on a tour and charge higher prices for people that want more and are ready and people that simply want to go to a farm on the river and hike in someone's backyard.

For me, I was generally pleased as I wanted to do something simple. As I plan to go back many times, I figure the first time would be to get familiar with everything. I went with Amazon Backpackers Tours. They helped me get what I wanted and even helped me get my boat ticket to Santarém.

I was unhappy at the end with their service because they failed to explain to me my pick up time and the owner Claudio was extremely rude to me at the end. I ended up paying my own taxi ride because another taxi came at another time for me that he had arranged without explaining to me. Anyway, I think that Claudio had my money and was done with me, so I just wanted to get out of there at the end. I won’t recommend this agency to anyone as they have poor service.

I think most of these Jungle Tour companies are owned and managed by people that have very little education and have no sense of how to run an effective business. They lack communication skills, lack a long term vision and only focus on short term (your money), fail to really explain their product and services to tourists, therefore, 80% of them leave with a bad experience, and are pushy as hell to get your money.

Summary
1) I recommend Dez de Julho Hotel to people that want a cheap place to stay
2) I would not recommend the jungle tour companies in the lobby. I encourage anyone wanting to go into the jungle to really list out what expectations they have, email different jungle companies in Manaus, ask a lot of questions not only on the tour you want, but also who else is going (lots of tourists are annoying, I hated that part because I was stuck with very annoying tourists)

Good luck!
---
Julio

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
6  Thank jdk1245
Reviewed August 15, 2009

this is a great hotel if you are just stopping in Manaus on your way somewhere else (like into the jungle).
the rooms are large, clean and air conditioned, its old and not that flash, but its clean, the bed is comfortable, the shower hot and the air conditioning is cold.
its also only about 100 metres from the teatro amazonia.
a great cheap hotel

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank gregandcath
Reviewed October 19, 2008

I spent two nights at Hotel 10 de julho, and have almost nothing to complain about it. I was a bit disappointed with the room at first, but what could I get for that price?

The room is too simple: grayish-white walls, tiled floor, a bed, a TV and an awkward metal wardrobe/closet (in which, by the way, I found a very useful resource to getting around town: the phone catalog with a city map!). The room was clean and smelled OK, as well as the sheets. The double bed was soft and comfortable.

The air conditioner really worked, and I even had to turn it off in the middle of the night, because it was really cold. It made me forget I was in such a hot city.

There was this adjacent room leading to the bathroom, which was the most disappointing part. Shower stream was very feeble, and it took me hours to wash myself. On the other hand, hot water was working just fine. Bathroom lights took minutes to turn on. Besides, the door wouldn't lock.

Also, the bedroom door would only close if you locked it. It was bent on the upper part. Not a big deal, though.

Breakfast was OK, but I expected a little more. Ham looked like it was from the day before, and bread had been noticeably re-heated. Even so, it was ok.

Staff were not that likeable, but they were polite and avalilable. All in all, they did their job.

I just wouldn't recommend you went on the tour trips through the Hotel. It is about 30% more expensive than at the travel agency at the Manaus harbour. You can just go down there and buy the tour yourself. Just be careful with the lots of boatmen who try to catch you at the entrance.

Overall, this hotel is OK if you're not too demanding and intend to spend most of your time going round the city.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank GregOliveira
Reviewed August 22, 2008

Hey travelers! Just a bit of advice for anyone traveling to Manaus Brazil. If you are looking for a good tour company to visit the Amazon - stay away from the Hotel Des da Julho. I stayed there one night and the room was simple and overpriced. The a/c was pitiful and made so much noise my boyfriend and I were up all night. The next day we went looking for a jungle tour with an agency. There were 3 tourist agencies in the Hotel right next to each other. Well... before we even got a chance to talk to anyone these two salesmen started fighting over us. It got really nasty and we checked out of the hotel and booked with another agency. The hotel has these 3 tourist offices so close together and it is a ´´recipe for disaster´´ as the desperate salesmen fight over the tourists. I went to the Amazon to see wild animals in the rainforest, not my hotel lobby. Remember fellow travelers, it´s a jungle out there!
Midniterider

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank midniterider
Reviewed August 9, 2008

Our experience in the hotel was really excellent. I may note that we stayed in the overpriced Hotel Plaza the night before and were searching for a decently priced, centrally located hotel in Manaus. We asked at the tourism information desk at the Opera House and they recommended us Hotel 10 de Julho. It was just a stone's throw away and we were surprised how nice it was! The rooms are simple but clean, and staff was very kind.
The hotel also offers jungle tours (Amazon Gero Tours) one of which we booked. The tour was an absolute life experience!!! So if you stay in the hotel, you can conveniently book your jungle tour there directly. It is absolutely worth it.

We were warmly treated by the staff to which we owe a lot of gratitude. Thanks to them and especially Geraldo our experience of Manaus was the best of our entire Brazil trip.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Viccy