“a fun hostel to stay at especially after a Jungle tour”
Review of Hostel Manaus

Hostel Manaus
Ranked #5 of 186 Specialty Lodging in Manaus
Travelling!
“a fun hostel to stay at especially after a Jungle tour”
Reviewed April 5, 2010

we stayed here one night before going to the jungle and one night after. its a good little hostel and most people are doing that. the kitchen and living area are all open plan with loads of communial areas to meet other travellers.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
São Paulo
Reviewed January 20, 2010

The biggest problem was the lack of rules for sleeping time. I was in a collective room with 4 other girls that kept talking with the lights on until 1 in the morning. I tried to talk to them, but It didn´t work, so I decided to talk to the receptionist and guest what? I found out that there were no rules for sleeping time and that there was nothing I could do about it... felt really uncomfortable! Organization and breakfast are the lowest points there. Only one bread (sandwich) is allowed and you cannot choose flavors.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Manaus hotels

Argentina
Reviewed September 3, 2009

The reception in the hostel never really try to help and special the one who came from Pakistan, he is really bad attitude to the guest!! I am very surprised that the owner why don't fire him. The most worst stuff i have ever seen. Also couldn't understerstand such bad service and it was recommended by HI hostel link. Inside the room , there are many bugs and mosquitoes also the cockroach jump to the bed at night!!! Terrible hostel!! Do not stay!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank elcalafate
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Reviewed March 26, 2009

Wouldn't really say that this is a great place, but certainly good enough as a pit stop before departing to one of the many jungle tours offered in the town. One of the best things was that they allowed me to store my larger luggage while I was away on a 3-day/2-night jungle excursion. Not very difficult to find. Pretty big place and a bit impersonal. When checking in, the reception showed me to my dorm room but didn't bother to point out bathrooms/toilets, mention breakfast, offer sheets, etc. Some areas of the hostel had a slight odor, but the room itself was clean. Kitchen was not very well equipped. Cheap, fast internet. Warm water in showers, clean bathrooms/toilets. Simple breakfast. No bar area, but reception sold beverages. TV and DVD player seemed to be the social center of the hostel. Maybe a bit far for some people, but walkable distances to Municipal Market, Amazonas Theater, and other main sights around Manaus.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Miami
Reviewed May 3, 2007

had a great time in Manaus! When I arrived I made it through the hassle at the airport and went strait to Hostel Manaus. I booked a tour with Jungle Experience and the next day we left. Everything went wrong!
The bus trip to the place was way too long, the canoe that picked us up couldn't stand any security standards, the how can you call it lodge? was a sleazy place, no moskito nets so I wis bitten like hell. The next day I made it back on my own. When I arrived at the hostel I found that my documents which I deposited whith the hostel owner where stolen. Further on they even refused to refund my money for the trip. I went strait to the police where there told me thaat there are many complaints with this hostel. I'm waiting now to get another passport and for new credit cards.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank oceanriders
Sydney
Reviewed April 25, 2007

Surprisingly there aren’t many traditional hostel options in Manaus, so luckily I heard about Hostel Manaus through another traveller - although apparently it will be in the guidebooks soon. Being a single traveller, I like somewhere friendly with a backpacker vibe and communal areas to meet other travellers, so this place worked perfectly for me. A few of us organised a great big piranha feast one night which was definitely memorable!

I felt completely secure within the hostel, the staff were lovely, the whole place was thoroughly cleaned every day that I was there and, because it's so new, at least for now I can say that the bunk beds were the most comfortable and clean I experienced all over South America. Unfortunately, renovations were not quite complete when I was there, but it will be great when the rooftop is ready for BBQs etc. Booked in for one night - stayed for over a week.

NB. If you know what you’re looking for in terms of accommodation – whatever that is – don’t be pressured into going with one of the persistent touts at the airport who will diss the other hotels/tour companies, and offer you free transport to their hotel if you commit to doing their jungle tour. If you’ve spent thousands getting to the Amazon like me, you might as well take your time choosing the right tour rather than being pressured into something when you’re jetlagged.

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — renovation noises during the day (temporary)
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Genster