Hostel Manaus
$39
$58
$55
  • Breakfast included
Go Inn Manaus(Manaus)(Great Value!)
$40
$39
$60
$49
HolidayInn.com
$76
  • Breakfast included
Da Vinci Hotel & Conventions(Manaus)
$64
$61
Boutique Hotel Casa Teatro(Manaus)(Great Value!)
$67
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsjungle tourcold showertour agencybreakfast areaincluded breakfastcommon areasair conditionedwi fiteatro amazonasericswoodcarvingbackpack
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I just wish I had never been there. Really! We gave up on sleeping there and escaped to a near hotel.

I've booked a double room with shared bathroom and the room was really awful! It smelled like mold so badly it gave me allergies.

The shared bathrooms at the first floor are just nightmare. They only have cold water and are infested with cockroaches - that was the point when I decided to go away from there ASAP.

Not even the staff made it better, since the girl at the front desk never showed us the place in the first time! She just said "your room is number 11" and that was all. Not even showed where was the breakfast room, the bathrooms we could use, nor explained the rules about the kitchen, the breakfast time, nothing.

I have no idea how this place can be affiliated to Hosteling International.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank TeffaMonsu
Reviewed April 9, 2014

- Staff: very unfriendly,impolite, lazy staff. Everything you ask for seems to be to much for them (for example: calling a taxi to the airport, helping to find something on the map, giving recommendations for local restaurants) . Although there are heaps of them hanging around all the time- but they just feel like guest and not like staff. Most of the time the reception was empty. The paying of the room rents, drinks and the deposit for towels e.g. was also not so easy- because you always have to control what the staff is doing (register the right sum, give back the right change- although everything was calculated with a calculator)... Summarised: just importent people.

- Rooms: Good opportunities to lock your things although you have to bring your own lock- and the staff is not able to tell you where to find a lock if you dont have one...The dorm room I slept in was sometimes smelling like somebody pissed in the corner- maby this was because of the aircondition of the next room. I have no clue.

-Breakfast: Nice fruits. The breads have been already done with ham and cheese with no opportunitie to put the things you really want to have. If you ask for a bread just with cheese you will get starved before you will get it. ( Not so nice for vegetarians and muslims or other people who dont want to eat ham or also cheese...).

Lot of people I met escaped from this place after one night although they have bookd for a longer time. This is defenitly one of the worst hostels I have ever been all over the world.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We only stayed here for one night before we took a pre-arranged jungle tour. Stayed in a double room which was fine for what we needed, nothing special (hostel quality). Location is good and walking distance to the opera house, bars and restaurants. It was raining a lot so didn't get to take advantage of the outside patios/terraces. Breakfast was pretty good - all in all good value for money.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We originally tried to find a different hostel but after getting lost, stumbled on this. With it being a Hostelling International hostel, we expected it to be of some decent standard, but no.

The staff were bad, especially Erik (or something along those lines) who was arrogant and cocky and quite argumentatve to most people we saw him serve. The hostel is dark, outdated and when I walked into the bathroom, I appeared to have interrupted a cockroach party as they all scuttled away into the woodwork...eww.

We did the jungle trip (really good!) through their travel agency which is on site and before leaving, we booked a private room. Upon our return, we spoke to the same guy who had booked it for us, who told us ur reservation had gone missing. He remembered doing the reservation so he called his boss who had told him he had changed it (cheeky sod!). We were told the only room available would cost more!!! when we said that wasnt how it worked, he called his boss again who said we could go into an aircon room but wasnt allowed the aircon on! No apology, nothing from the boss. The poor guy serving us was clearly embarrassed and was very apologetic.

To top it off, the key got stuck in our door and the lock broke, which meant having to leave our door unlocked (and it didnt shut properly without being locked) in the main area where people hung out.

On the morning of us going to the jungle, i was looking for some food that was ours in the kitchen that had been moved. The cleaner/kitchen lady asked me if I was OK but she didnt speak English or Spanish and I couldnt explain to her that I had lost some food. She started wagging her finger at me I guess telling me off in Brazilian, not entirely sure why but I was not overly pleased!!

Overall, our stay at this hostel was awful. I would not reccommend this hostel to anyone and think Hostelling Internation should look at what type of hostels are bearing their name....

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank StephieAlice_13
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

The staff speak English, the rooms are moderately clean, and the building is interestingly designed. It is located close to the centre of the city, and buses stop nearby. Some reviews have complained about the noise: this was not a problem; it is very quiet.
I did see a rat rubbing around - that's probably the worst thing.
If you're staying in Manaus en route to the Amazon, this place shall suit you well.

• Stayed: January 2014