“Looking for the real deal? - look no further!”

Amazon Mystery Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Specialists in adventure tourism Amazon Mystery Tours is able to bring you the most unique places in the Amazon rainforest. Kayaking, Adventure sports, forest trails, nocturnal, sport fishing, canopy tours are some of our specialties are also a good company in their holdings in Manaus as historical tours, meeting of the waters, interaction with dolphins and other options. Amazon Mystery Tours - beyond the beaten trail.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Reviewed May 23, 2011

If you're looking for a 'canned', don't get your hands dirty kind of tour - then this is NOT the one for you. If you're looking for an authentic off the beaten path kind of tour - meaning no bathing for a week, sleeping in hammocks, walking through water and mud, kayaking the amazon, eating with chickens, pigs, etc, hiking to waterfalls, fishing for piranha, and gaining a true appreciation for the Amazon with some of the finest people, then this tour is for you. From the first email to the last goodbye, this was a well organized and fun filled trip. I can't say enough about Rinaldo and his crew and making this tour a great experience and well worth every penny spent! If you're looking for the real deal with a tour of the amazon, these folks and their tour is as real as it gets! You will have a great time and won't be disappointed.

All reviews
"camp"
in 8 reviews
"shoes"

Reviewed February 22, 2011

My fiance and I visited Manaus in October last year looking for an authentic Amazon experience. After doing a lot of research it appeared to us that most of the tour companies in Manaus were just offering farm stays in the "jungle" as authentic Amazon experiences. So we turned to Amazon Mystery Tours for something different. Jean-Claude the owner was fantastic to deal with. He was very helpful and went to a lot of trouble coming up with a custom tour consisting of 2 x two days kayaking in two different rivers. We camped in hammocks overnight in the deep jungle (not just on someone's converted farm!) and on a magical white sand beach.

Our guide Rinaldo was fantastic. A cross between Steve Irwin and Bob Marley. He was a constant source of humour and knowledge as well as being a great cook. We had some unforgettable fresh fish meals cooked by him over an open fire on the river bank. They always had a few snacks or cold drinks available for us. All this was part of the service. We never went hungry!

In conclusion, I highly recommend Amazon Mystery Tours to those TA members looking for a unique Amazon experience. There are so many operators looking to sell "farm stays" as jungle lodges and this somehow being an Amazon experience. Don't be fooled and come away disappointed!!!

1  Thank DanAndChris
Reviewed February 20, 2011

I'm from the US, but I've travelled all over Asia, Africa, and South America. My trip into the Brazilian Amazon rainforest with Amazon Mystery Tours was one of the best trips of my life!

Top reasons I recommend Amazon Mystery Tours:
-Authentic, ecotour experience
-Never saw other tourists on my jungle trip
-Guides you can feel confident in and safe with
-Awesome food, especially Amazonian fish, local fruit juices, and great fire side Brazilian drinks
-Exhilarating rope climbing experience
-Being so close to unspoiled nature and see animals in their natural habitat

Daily routine: Everyday it changed, but each day we moved campsites so we got to see different places and things. Usually we did a combination of motor boating or kayaking, and jungle walks. One day we did the rope climb which was tough, but gave us amazing views from the top of the rainforest. Also, we got to see some beautiful falls! Some nights we went out looking for caimen/alligators which was also very cool. When it rained, it was like tropical rains so it usually blew over in a short time rather than rained all day.

Education: Our guide was super knowledgable about the local flora, fauna, and animals and we learned alot about how to survive in the jungle by lighting tree sap on fire or drinking from a vine filled with water!

Culture: All the guides are Brazilians so you get a chance to talk with them and learn alot about the culture. Amazon Mystery Tours also hires local guides as you travel to different locations so you get to help support the local economies where ever you go. We also spent some time at a community village and watched how manioc, the local food staple, was processed. We donated some supplies to the school kids there, too. Since they know the people in the communities so well, they are alot of options if you want to get more involved by volunteering and/or donating, too.

Cost: I read the company website and some reviews on forums and things, but I still wasn't sure what to expect when I signed up for a tour into the jungle. I considered the cost alot before deciding on this type of customized trip versus a jungle lodge and I was really happy with my choice\. Once I arrived in Manaus and saw the cost of everything, especially gas and food, I understood why the tour was the price it was. The guides explained there are no roads into Manaus so everything gets flown or shipped in!

Food: As others wrote, the food was fantastic and not at all what you'd expect on a camping trip. All the supplies are carried with you during the trip so you don't have to worry about not catching enough for dinner :P Although, we did supplement some dinners with piranhas or other local fish we caught. Loved the exotic, local fruit juices in the morning and tuna spaghetti is one of my favorite dishes now! And can't forget the delicious local drink we had every night by the camp fire- caipirinhas made with lime, sugar, and local rum. We bought a bottle of the rum and made it for friends when we got back home :D

Caveats: This is not a trip for people that want an organized tour with a minute by minute itinerary planned in advance. Or for those that want hot showers and flush toilets. Or for germaphobes. This is for those that are adventurous and willing to be flexible and go with the flow in the hopes of stumbling upon something extraordinary like watching capybaras- giant guinea pigs- staring at you and wonder what the heck you are or seeing ancient Indian carvings that no archeologist has witnessed.

I had an incredible trip with Amazon Mystery Tours. I think going into the Amazon rainforest with this company made all the difference in the world. I don't think my trip would have felt as magical and special if I was staying in a lodge with 50+ other people, eating buffet lunches, and watching animals that are hanging around because they are fed.

If you can afford to go on a trip with this company, you won't regret it!

3  Thank shanghaiexpat2003
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Amazon mysterie tours is very helpfull. They give you all the information you need and more! A tight budget and wanted to do something different then the usual appaered to be unduable...Because the trips organised by Amazon Mystery were to expensive, they helped finding something that did match the budget. They even have a good option to go swimming with dolphins somewhere where you can really interact with these animals, so not just be in the same water....it's for half a day and cost about 50BRL. Even though I haven't been on a trip with them they were very helpfull.

1  Thank Kachu79TheHague
See more reviews
Reviewed December 23, 2010

The 4 days spent in the Amazon rain forest were a priceless experience we're sure never to forget. Besides having picked us up from the airport and driven us to the hotel, the Amazon Mystery Tours team have ensured that our first encounter with the rain forest be an uniquely pleasant one: exceptional ambiance at camp, incredibly delicious food, and, most importantly, Rinaldo, a great guide and a good friend. He and many others catered for all we needed and were always ready to help with whatever problem we had, or to answer any of our questions. Always bantering with each other, all of them were jovial, amiable and light-hearted, but also extremely responsible, assiduous and reliable whenever the situation demanded it.
Throughout those 4 days we have done lots of exhilarating activities: kayaking, hiking, tree-climbing, rappelling, zipping down a rope from one of the tallest trees. It was truly amazing how, by doing all this, we were able to completely detach ourselves from everything related to our life at home. Especially by spending the night there, sleeping in hammocks and listening to the sounds of nature. At first the heat and humidity were unbearable but, strangely, we got used to it incredibly quickly. Such trips offer one a different perspective on life. How I miss all the relaxing bird sounds of the forest... Now, I would much rather hear a howler monkey at midnight than the awful sounds of cars and trains.

1  Thank Balasiu