“Fantastic Amazonas jungle experience with Gero and his team!”
Review of Amazon Gero Tours

Amazon Gero Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed December 2, 2010

My friend and I decided to spend 7 nights in the Amazonas jungle with Gero and his team. You can spend less or more time if you would like as well. Firstly, we were took a van and boat to the Ararinha Jungle Hotel where we were greeted by the staff.
Some of the highlights of the trip were:
- Fishing and eating pirahnas...and if you fancy, also swimming in the Amazon! Just be sure not to go to the toilet, as apparently there are bugs that can crawl up inside you!
- Amazing fresh food served at the jungle hotel, in particular the banana fritters.
- Watching the sunrise and sunset, from the boat and from a floating bar on the side of the river.
- Caimen (crocodile) spotting and catching at night. You can even hold one if you wish, which does not harm them at all.
- Face painting with jungle plants.
- Finding fresh jungle fruits like cupuasu to eat.
- Sleeping one night in the middle of the jungle and having to build our own hammock setup.
- Visiting an Amazonas family and having a go at mowing their lawn for them with a machete!
If you want an Amazonas jungle experience, then I highly recommend doing a tour with Gero. We chose to sleep in the hammocks upstairs, which were very comfortable. But if you prefer the luxury of a bed, there is of course that option.

1  Thank shackas
Write a ReviewReviews (1,222)
All reviews
in 16 reviews
"dry season"
in 21 reviews

Reviewed November 20, 2010

Took a 3 days trip with Gero tours. Very good service received: the guides spoke English, the personnel very attentive, the food was delicious. Guides in the jungles were well prepared, looked after the tourists and the track was really exciting.

Reviewed November 16, 2010

We booked this trip at least 3 months in advance before we arrvied in Manaus, the emails correspondence and arranged transfer from the airport went well. The journey to the lodge is an adventure in itself incorporating boat, 4x4, and another boat and a 30min treck to the lodge as it's low water.
Unfortunatley for us, we were put into the worse room in the lodge (compared to the other)s, there was no view, no where to hang clothes outside, beds were very old and hard. Even though we mentioned that we had booked this tour well in advance of others in our party and paid either more or the same amount of money, we were given the worse room. I felt this was unfair as I know that people who had signed on that morning were given a much better deal. I was assured we would be moved the next day, but then no one arrived to faciliate the move.
That aside the time in the jungle and the activities that were arranged were fab, the guide very knowledgable and Gero did deliver on that. Nevertheless due to a feeling of being shafted over the rooms (lets face it not much you can do in the middle of the jungle, but bite the bullet), it was all a bit of a let down. Shame!!

3  Thank RizzoLondon
Reviewed November 9, 2010

I just returned from a 3 day Amazon Jungle Trip with Gero Tours. The Tour was the highlight of my month in Manaus - truly awesome. Accomodation is basic but very comfortable. Just what you want to feel you are experiencing the Amazon without cheating in a 5 star hotel! Food was great and the tour guides were superb. We saw so many fabulous animals and insects and reptiles and really feel we got the Amazon experience. My only regret is that I didn't stay for 5 days.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 30, 2010

An absolutely must-do in Brazil!!! My boyfriend and I visited the Amazon on a 5day/4night package through Gero Tours, who we chose after doing a fair amount of online research, and we it certainly met (and often times exceeded) our expectations.

Getting there is by car/boat/4x4/boat and is tons of fun. The waterfront Gero Tours Amazon lodge is right off a main tributary of the river. A wonderfully rustic lodge, offering a dorm room with both hammocks and beds for single travellers - all have mosquito nets, and private rooms with either hammocks or a double bed. The food is magnificent - some of the tastiest we had in all of Brazil, with a lot of variety - we didn't eat the same thing twice ever! Every morning and afternoon we were doing something or another, from caiman watching to piranha fishing to nature walks to medicinal talks to tribal visits and dolphin spotting. We even swang on a Tarzan vine.

The local guides are very knowledgeable, some of whom study biology at local universities. Most speak some English. I highly recommend our guide, Cobra, who speaks perfect English, taught us the Latin, English and Portuguese names of every plant, animal or insect we asked about, and showed us Amazon survival skills. He took us on an overnight in the jungle, made us a camp, roasted chicken on a big fire and cut pineapple with his jungle knife for our dessert. He even sang Scorpion and Taio Cruz songs in the deepest jungle. If that is not a selling point, I don't know what is. lol.

The only downfall was the bed in our room - it was so old the middle of the mattress really sunk in, so we didn't have great sleeps. Also, our room (and all of the other rooms we saw) did not have AC or a fan, which would've made a HUGE differnece in cooling us off in the Amazon daytime heat, which doesn't cool off a lot at night, FYI. Keep in mind that although it is a great lodge, it really is roughing it. I don't know how many of my girlfriends would've been up to it because of how sweaty and hot it gets. We ended up taking 3-4 showers a day to rinse and cool off, and if I'm being perfectly honest, sweat through every single thing I wore. We ended up rinsing our clothes off in the shower everyday as well, and hanging them to dry to be able to keep clean, dry clothes to change into three times a day. We went in the hot season, when the river was low, so in the rainy season I'm not sure about the temperatures. Look into it before you go for sure.

So if you go in October like we did, where temps felthigh 30s and low 40s the entire time, bring light, cool clothing, a handheld mini-fan, a water bottle, lots and lots of bug spray, a good book for the downtimes, and don't forget a pair of light hiking pants and hiking shoes. And have a blast!!!!!!!!

3  Thank globetrotter130