“Great Hotel”
Review of Hotel Bosna

Hotel Bosna
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Banja Luka
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

Hotel is ideal for visiting Banja Luka. It is located in the center of the town. Rooms are generaly ok, choose A type of rooms. Food is traditional serbian cuisine and it is not bad. I am reading previos comments and during my visit i did not have any problems with staff. I recommend this hotel based on location and it is ideal for business visits.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 31, 2014

No point in going into detail but read the previous reviews. There is an underlying theme:
Staff are unfriendly, shower is problematic, breakfast is sketchy, coffee is awful and the wifi is pathetic.
Such a shame because it is a great location and town. All the staff in other establishments I visited in the town were friendly and helpful.
The management of this hotel don't read the reviews or ignore them. Either way, I would suggest they don't deserve your business.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Billybobbage
Dalibor B, Manager at Hotel Bosna, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Dear sir Dana, I'm sorry for the bad experience during your stay at our hotel. Seriously, we understand your concerns, and we will try to improve quality of service. On this occasion, I invite you to visit us again and we will do everything to make your stay pleasant.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Before I arrived at this hotel I was told that it was one of the best hotels in Banja Luka - I didn't book it - it was a business booking for five nights and on the face of it, it should have been a good week. The hotel is in a great central location.

On arrival after several hours of driving over the cold, snowy mountains from Sarajevo I had to first find a receptionist and then got the frostiest welcome I have ever received. Maybe frosty is being kind, fortunately I had a colleague who confirmed that it wash't personal.

The decor of the hotel is a little dated as other reviewers have said but it was clean and the cleaning staff obviously try very hard, at some point the owners have spent a significant sum of money refitting it. Despite several small lights around the room even in daylight the room was dull.

My room had plenty of storage but the desk was tiny, because of the minibar fridge taking up most of the underside of a tapered desktop. I had been planning to work some evenings (and needed to) but I swiftly found that this was going to be unlikely as the wifi signal only just made it inside the bathroom and then only if the wind was blowing in the right direction - every day I would hope that things had been adjusted but the wifi was just about non-existent except in some of the downstairs public areas.

I even tried to sit outside in various parts of the hotel corridor on my floor within view of the wall-mounted wifi routers but this still failed miserably. (Just to rub salt into the wound less than 100 metres from the hotel there is free wifi in the street but in snowy and freezing January spending time outside was not really an alternative). Being in business and travelling a lot is difficult enough without a reasonable chance to at least read and answer emails.

The bathroom had a modern-ish glass sink top with a glass bowl and waterfall tap that leaked after every time it was used and the solution offered by the cleaner (bless her) was an extra towel to soak up the water before it got to overflow onto the floor - this was when the tap was turned off not on!

The shower had been designed by russian rocket scientists and had it been connected had a radio and integrated speakers as well as a bewildering array of nozzles and pipes and only two controls that had to be in exactly the right position or the water would flow into the bottom without ever coming up the hoses and over the occupant. Getting warm water was a task as well. It was so confusing that my neighbour next door actually knocked and asked me for guidance after apparently struggling for 10 minutes.

The hotel information file in the room consisted mainly of a raft of maybe 20+ rules, with threats if items were damaged or lost, without really making any suggestion that the staff were there to assist or make the visitor comfortable. No real information about Banja Luka or actual hotel services was supplied.

There was no trouser-press and no irons are allowed to be used - one of the above-mentioned rules. They apparently have a laundry although I never found a laundry bag or any price list.

Dinner on the first night - a Sunday was frankly not good, both myself and my colleague felt unwell and vowed not to eat dinner there again.

Breakfast the following morning (Monday) was very strange with hardly any food and grey coffee that made the 'fresh ground this morning' joke seem like a true story. (There are at least three coffee shops serving proper coffee in this hotel!) I mention this because there were only three or four other people at breakfast that day - however, on the following days breakfast was almost a feast, even fresh fruit appeared on day 3 but then there were lots more customers - but should it really have been so bad on the first day because there were only a few customers?

Anyone reading this may think I just like to complain but check my other reviews - I always see the positives - so the bed was quite comfortable and some of the staff were pleasant but mostly the reception staff had no idea how to even smile, never mind attempt a 'have a nice day'. Maybe a training issue - good luck to the trainer!

Finally we asked for a late checkout and this was agreed but when we returned to the hotel 2 hours before the agreed time we found that our keycards no longer opened the doors.

My local contacts tell me there are much better hotels in Banja Luka - I really hope so.

The only positive I can take from this experience, is that I have left now and will never, ever return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Banja Luka is quite a nice place but don't stay at this hotel, use this service to find a better...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Jimbo732
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for one night. The first thing I noticed was on arrival there was no one at reception. I had to ring the bell for the receptionist to present herself from the back office. This was not a major problem but didn't present a very good impression. The room was pleasant enough, the bathroom only had a shower and was a bit nasty round the edges. The room had a cheap nasty tv with a remote that barely worked. The breakfast was a very bleak experience. It was OK but am not sure I would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Donald093
Reviewed November 7, 2013

The hotel is dated, even the renovated rooms have an eighties feel to it. Breakfast is not great. Staff is friendly. There are not many alternatives though so I keep going back for the great location.

Room Tip: Book a deluxe or "A" class room
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Headline aside, this is probably the best pick in town. The hotel has definitely seen better times, and although some rooms have gotten an overhaul the general standard leaves some improvements to be desired. Generally the rooms are on the smaller side but with still equipped with the usual: Minibar, closet, desk, TV. The bathrooms have an awful dim lighting and the "fancy" shower cubicles are in dire need of replacement. Typical for the Western Balkans though.

Breakfast is plentiful with a modest choice of cereals, white bread, eggs and lunch meat. You don't leave hungry, but I will not describe it as delicious either. Restaurant Ambassador offers decent international food.

Wifi is very slow and unreliable at best. The reception or the bar offers the most reliable connection. TV has no English speaking channels, so you better bring a book if you do not speak Serbian/Bosnian/Croatian

Staff gets the work done - but without smiles or the "personal touch".

On the positive side the location is right in the center of Banja Luka within walking distance of all places of interest - for business and pleasure.

I will stay here again - but only because the other alternatives in town also leave much to be desired.

Room Tip: Do get one of the "A" rooms - these are the modernised ones.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank WorldTraveller413
Reviewed October 23, 2013

The hotel is the best one you can get in Banja Luka - which itself does not mean much. Opt for deluxe rooms as they are situated in more quiet hotel zone, are renovated and only cost a bit more. Internet is a joke - very slow and unreliable. The upside is a great location and walking distance to all key city popular destinations. If you have a car be aware there is no covered parking only in front of the hotel open spot.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Hotel Villa Viktorija
Motel Nana
Motel Nana
#5 of 8 in Banja Luka

Been to Hotel Bosna? Share your experiences!