“incredible amazon basin pampas experience with Indigena”
Review of River Yacuma

River Yacuma
Reviewed May 3, 2014

unfortunately we missed out on visiting the amazon basin while traveling thru colombia, ecuador and peru. we had only heard good things about many places and thought this was our last chance to do so. what a fantastic experience!

Firstly, Indigena were well priced and had received many great reviews here on TA and also from a few other travelers we met in town. the 3 day pampas tour was fantastic - action packed and very enjoyable. swimming with pink river dolphins, catching and eating piranha, and observing wildlife galore. our guide, victor, was very knowledgeable and environmentally-friendly (he did not like when other guides fed or caught animals for their groups enjoyment - this is the wild and these animals are wild, just leave them be and enjoy the natural beauty of them in their natural surroundings!)

unfortunately for Indigena, they had 1 guide filling in for them as their usual guides were sick - this guide did catch a wild animal for his group to hold and take photos with. this leads to poor practice and poor examples for other guides and groups. when 1 guide makes a poor decision like this it may encourage other people to want to hold wild animals. this will destroy the natural beauty of this wonderful place.

1  Thank JPescape
"rice"
"flecha"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Had a fantastic time - Indigena is well worth the extra money over some of the cheaper tours. Our guide was Choco, we always felt safe, he was full of information and had a great sense of humour.

Accommodation was fine, some might find it a little rustic but for backpackers it was perfectly adequate. The food was very good quality.

We found a lot of wildlife, more than expected. Basically you spend most of the time on the boat cruising around the wetlands, at night caiman and anaconda spotting, during the day birds, monkeys, sloths, anteaters and capybara can all be found.

Rurrenabaque is also a pretty relaxed little town which is well worth spending a day or 2 afterwards. I would highly recommend paying a visit if you are into wildlife watching, don't mind a bumpy ride or two and are not afraid of mosquitoes or sand flies

1  Thank Nicholas A
Reviewed April 15, 2014

One of the absolute highlights of our five month trip in South America. This company was reccomended by a friend and we have since recommened to at least ten different people. We took a flight from La Paz to the amazing jungle town of Rurrenabaque. Showed up the day before and booked on this tour for I think between 700 and 900 Boliviano (very cheap).

You take a 3 hour drive to where ther boats are (very bumpy road) but this allows you to meet your group. Then its about another 3 hour trip down the river in a long road where our guide pointed out a huge number of animals, caiman, tutles, birds and snakes. Really amazing.

I think the difference between Indigena and the other operators is the food provided and the level of English spoken by the guide. We were hugely impressed with boat. Also on the trip you go searching for Anacandos, go fishing for piranha and go on a night trip on the boat.

If you're in the area you definitely have to go the Amazon jungle, particularly Rurennabaque and definitely do this trip. Best trip we have done in our nearly 10months travel so far.

1  Thank LiamoBergin
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We were picked up in the morning and drove with a jeep to santa clara (takes abot 3 h) were we had lunch. Than we got into the boats, our group just consisting of four people! Our guide showed us different plants an animals in the trees passing by. In the evening we arrived in our lodge, where we got plenty of good food and were able to chill in nice hammocks or go for a swim. The next two days we searched for snakes on an island, went piranha fishing, swimming with dolphins, sunset - and sunrise watching, always accompanied with our lovely and englishspeaking guide. Thank you very much, indigena!

1  Thank grinsekat z
See more reviews
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I spent my last 3 days (8 to 10 March)in South America in a lovely country, Bolivia. I wanted to visit a place that all my friends suggested to me: the Pampas of Yacuma River. But before the trip, I heard and read lots of things about the flooding, but I got correct information in the agency of La Paz. And as I did not want to miss out this attraction, I booked a tour with all the updated information the agency gave me. My friends were right, in spite of the mud on the route, this place is marvelous.

I saw some dead animals on the route due to the flooding of the last weeks, but on the river it was all great, It seemed to me that there wasn't a flooding at all!!. We did all the activities and the lodge was comfortable. Moskito (alex) , our guide was very polite and helpful, He had a lot of knowledge about the Park and a very good english.

I had a lot of fun and my friends were right to reccommend the service of indigena tour.