Hostal Intikala
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Isla del Sol
See available hotels
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
Hotel Wendy Mar(Copacabana)
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 7, 2012

The view was simply gorgeous. The place seems to be under construction or something (?). The room was adequate, but really lacking in furniture - no closet/hooks/coat racks/towel racks or furniture other than bed and bedside tables. We had a tour guide who handled the formalities for us, so we can't actually speak to the attitude of the staff, except to say that they were willing to give us glasses to take to the room for our wine. There is a charming little girl who enjoyed interacting with the guests.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JetSetATL
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I have spend two night on this wonderful island, one night at Inti Kala, unfortunately they were booked out for my second night. but they helped me to find another hostal.
I have enjoyed the sunset from their massive deck and the view on the lake is just undescribable.
The rooms are spacious with private bathrooms, couloured in warm orange and very clean. I can highly recommand this hostal! Guides seem to stay here also with their guests, I eperienced them to be very helpful.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Zauberberg1
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Inti Kala is rated in the Lonely Planet as one of the better "mid range" options, but sadly I feel that's long out of date. In 2009 perhaps this was one of the few hotels with a nice view, and the building was in better shape, but since then dozens of newer places have popped up while Inti Kala has literally been crumbling.

To be fair, there is a lovely view from the terraces that run along the western side of the building. We had a happy hour or so sitting on the terrace with a beer watching the sun set.

But other than the view, the place is not nice.

For a start it's really run down. Peeling paint, mold, broken light fittings, rickety beds, stained bedding and rough old towels. The bathroom door would only open half way before jamming, and the latch wouldn't hold it closed. Luckily there are various bits of timber, bricks, tiles etc lying around, so I easily found a rusty nail to hold the bathroom door shut. I really hope this building rubble is because they're doing some repair work as the place is just falling apart.

Security is also a concern - we looked at several rooms and didn't see a single one where you could lock the doors from the inside. The downstairs rooms only seem to have one door, which is secured by a padlock from the outside. With the upstairs room we ended up taking, you could lock the internal door into the hotel, but the door to the terrace wouldn't stay closed by itself and had no lock. We were provided with a tree stump to hold the door shut and discourage intruders.

The "hot" water just isn't hot. The little South American electric showerheads simply don't have the power to heat water that's been stored outdoors in near freezing temperatures (this is true of almost every hotel on the island - if you value hot water look for solar/gas).

The food in the restaurant was OK (the usual bread & jam breakfast, dinner is a local set menu with a choice of chicken, meat or omlette), but I suspect the bread we were given for breakfast was leftovers from the people before us, and we finished most of our breakfast before clean cups were brought out for coffee.

At the heart of it, the hotel's issues seem to boil down to the fact that the staff simply don't seem to care. Their attitude to us ranged from indifferent to rude, and you really get the impression they just don't like running a hotel. Everything we asked (i.e. checking in, dinner, an extra blanket, breakfast, checking out) appeared to be an inconvenience to them. It's no wonder the place is falling down as I can't imagine these staff lifting a finger to maintain it.

Don't waste your money. Stay elsewhere for half the price, and if you want to check out the view then eat dinner at one of the nearby restaurants with an almost identical view (or simply wander in and sit on the terrace, the staff wouldn't notice).

Room Tip: If you must stay here, insist on one of the upper level rooms with a door leading out to the terrace. Check whether the doors can be closed/locked, and if not whether you can find some other way to secure the door.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Not sure what positive reviewers liked about this place, unless it was the view. No water and no power for most of our one night stay, and a staff that was desultory and even nasty at times.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I tried to book this place through www.boliviatravelsite.com for new year's eve 2011-2012.

The travel agent booked the place and I paid via Paypal on Nov 12. One week later, we were contacted by the travel agent because the administrator had decided that he was going to host a party during new year's eve and hence, WE WERE INCREASED THE PRICE PER ROOM, AFTER HAVING PAID AND SECURE THE BOOKING.

As this didn't make sense, I cancelled the reservation and went to Phalla Khasa where we were robbed 120 USD in the rooms.

Bad experience at Isla del Sol. In general, my experience and that from all the tourists we came across was that you are never certain on how much you are going to spend at the island.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family