“kind of time-travelling experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Rozafa Hotel

Rozafa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Shkoder
Dresden, Germany
“kind of time-travelling experience”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed here just for one night in may on my way to the north of Albania because I heard about this cheap and interesting place.
The location is right in the center and easy to find. When I entered with my big backpack I felt like being in the wrong place because everything was so shiny and with ****...but after leaving the entrance hall and the elevator everything changed and I was send back in time....worth an experience! The rooms were clean with en-suite bathroom. I payed for one night without breakfast (because I was leaving early) 11€, with breakfast included it would have cost 16€. So it seems to me that prices are not really fixed...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Uli_00
Greta G, Manager at Rozafa Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2016
Thank you for the review on our hotel. We know our weaknesses and we hope you give us another chance to change your opinion. We have reconstructed the hotel from July 2016, and we have tried to post as many pictures of the new rooms.
As I read, the only thing "not good" in our hotel were the room conditions, but If you visit us again from now on, I am sure you will be very satisfied.
And yes... The room windows have been isolated, sound proof from the outside noises.
All the best

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed there for one night during the low season at the beginning of april. Had a two bed room on the fifth floor. For 8€ per person it was a fair deal. The room was pretty clean, bathroom had a shower with warm water, soap and towels were provided. Just the toilet didnt have a seat and the whole room looked very used. (water stains on walls and ceiling). And the location of the hotel is perfect. Next to the place where the busses go to other albanian cities. Staff was friendly and helpful and spoke english very well.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank manubgh
Düsseldorf
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Hotel Rozafa has a very central location, with English-speaking-staff and a decent breakfast. They also offer free wifi (only in the restaurant area!) and a variety of cheap rooms, which go from shared room without bathroom until double rooms, with shower, etc etc.

It's really an interesting ambient, for a very, very cheap price. We paid 11 euros for the double room with breakfast. Yes, there are holes in the walls, architecture miracles (how the hell did that wind up here?) and problems with the elevator, but the rooms are nicely furnished, the bed is comfy and... well, how often do you have the chance of witnessing a truly Soviet construction?

Room Tip: Prefer rooms on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd floor. Sometimes we had trouble with the elevator.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nicole J
Torun, Poland
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I have stayed there for 2 nights and I am not sure how should I rate this hotel. On one hand it has lot of advantages: central location, english speaking staff at the reception, it`s just next to the tourist information center, all bus stops and so on. However on the other hand when we asked for toilet paper the receptionists said: 'I will give you key to antoher room, ok?', breakfest is rather poor and we were asked to pay in advance.
But the most amazing thing is the difference between ground floor and the rest of the hotel.
Ground floor with reception and restaurant is really very nice - air conditioned, clean. And then you go to your room and I am pretty sure the there is teleport in the elevator. Cause the difference between ground floor and the rest of the hotel is really big. Rest of the hotel is rather communist style. Anyway - it`s totally enough if you are not expecting luxury so as it cost around 20 euros for double room it`s still a good choice. Maybe my rate would be higher if there would be no such strong 'teleport' feeling. It`s just as someone would give you a candy and then it will turned out that it`s not sweet at all.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tomasz S
North Wales
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in July 2012. I believe I was probably fortunate in being allocated a room with a/ a balcony b/ shower & toilet & c/ a fan - to offset the absence of air conditioning. I understand this hotel is in the process of a change of ownership and will be receiving a major refurbishment, which would go some way in explaining the "rough edges" . The very upper floors are not even in use at the moment.
The lobby / bar area / restaurant are fine. Air conditioned and smart . I believe that there are no rooms at present with air conditioning ( which is where my balcony , fan & COLD shower came in very very useful ) . There was hot water for the shower if I had of needed it, but given the high temperatures a hot shower was NOT needed at all :-)
The reception staff were friendly and spoke English very well. The bar and restaurant staff were lovely as where the chambermaids. What more can be asked for ?
The location was excellent .
The room price was cheap and the service was good : just don't expect 5 star luxury .
I may have felt differently if I had not had my own bathroom and balcony however.
The price was approx 40 euros per night.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have showers and toilets so if you want them make sure you ask for them . A balcony...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Some of the reviews I've read about this hotel are extremely dramatic. The Rozafa is most definitely a creepy old communist building, but it's not THAT bad. The lift works.... sometimes... and the lobby is well kept. The staff we encountered were friendly enough. We paid 8 euros each for our beds. I've never paid such a cheap price for a bed in a hotel or hostel, so for that price, you can't expect the Ritz. For that we got clean beds and our own bathroom.

It is clear that all of the money put into the hotel goes to upkeep for the lobby and probably no where else. If you take the stairs up, there is a clear line that distinguishes the lobby from the rooms. Every bit of the rest of building is very run down looking, uniform and ugly. That said, it is quite a unique experience because you really feel like you're in the eastern bloc in the communist era.
It is very centrally located, right next to the bus meeting point, tourist information centre and some of the town's sights.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Habiba S
East Lansing , Michgan
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Recently stayed at the Hotel, yes, it is possible to stay for around $ 20 a room/night, but, you are not getting a bargain. Renovated ? Like a dungeon with a bigger light bulb. Historic ? Like getting your teeth pulled by a blacksmith. Centrally located ? Like the Addams Family house at 1313 Mockingbird Lane. There is free, "guarded" parking, the staff at the desk is cheerful , and the renovated bar/dining area must be better than it was under the Red Army but, unless you'd like to sleep in the renovated bar/dining area, you are going to be grossly underwhelmed. Try to summon up a few extra bucks to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mickey M
All the best

Travelers are raving about these Shkoder hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shkoder
Hotel Colosseo
#1 of 3 in Velipoje
Jolly Hotel
Jolly Hotel
#1 of 2 in Lezhe

Been to Rozafa Hotel? Share your experiences!