“very cosy and welcoming guesthouse”

Florian Shkodra Guesthouse and Hostel
Ranked #1 of 29 Shkoder B&B and Inns
Cologne, Germany
“very cosy and welcoming guesthouse”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

florians place is great! you will stay in one compound with the family and the other guests, making your stay a very memorable and familiar experience! we all had dinner together, which was prepared by the family only using self-grown ingredients. we played with all the animals and strolled around in the gardens! we only had time for a one night stay in shkodra, but i recommend taking your time and spend a couple of days to relax :)
highliy recommended for couples/families or small groups!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Florian and his guesthouse are amazing! you stay in the countryside with a real Albanian family. Food is included so you can try the local favorites and its all locally grown, delicious and vegetarian, even home-made wine! Florian is more than willing to show you around shkoder and arrange travel and accommodation in beautiful nearby Theth. I would definitely recomend this guesthouse to anyone!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Podgorica, Montenegro
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Actually, I come to Shkodra just for to transfer from Albania to Montenegro.
And when I arrived, it rained heavily....
But everything became amazing and wonderful when I was in Florian Guesthouse!
The owner and his family members are friendly and nice. They prepare real Albanian food and everything is homemade make me feel really amazing. Everyone ate together so that you can experience the real Albanian life. Because of the trip schedule, I stay only one night here. But trust me, this is the best experience what I have in Albania! I think if you stay more longer, you will not only love the guest house and also all the things in Shkodra. Shkodra is worth you to stay long time. Beautiful countryside,breathtaking lake... This guest house is very very special than others. Talk more will not be better that you come yourself and enjoy it!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The Florian Shkodra Guesthouse was, as all the other reviews have pointed out, a great place to stay.
I stayed there for about two days in late June / early July of 2012, after which I went a little over the border to visit and stay in the Montenegrin beach-resort town of Ulcinj (where most of the people actually are ethnically Albanian) for about 1.5 days. After my thoroughly pleasant jaunt to Ulcinj, I came back to stay at the Guesthouse for another 24 hours or so.
The Guesthouse was great -- the price was reasonable, the food was good and plentiful, the accommodations were decent and the hosts -- Florian and his family -- were really nice and interesting to talk to. Florian deals the most with the tourists, as he is apparently the only one who knows English (though I spoke to him fairly extensively in my intermediate-level Albanian) and, in short, I had a great time there. The other members of his family constantly wanted to feed me :-)
Perhaps my favorite thing about staying there was that included in the price (I think around 18 - 20 USD in local money) was the opportunity to take one of the bicycles in the Guesthouse's very pretty vineyard-style courtyard and go for long afternoon rides into the city, where I did a lot of exploring and took zillions of photos.
The other couple of guests who I encountered there were generally cool (Florian arranged with us the time that we'd have a common and sumptuous dinner) and Florian was genuinely a nice and interesting guy more than willing to offer you his (well-informed) opinions on his city, country and the larger world around us.
On top of all of this, the accommodations were, as I already mentioned, quite good, with an excellent wi-fi connection and nice, spacious rooms with comfortable beds, cable TV and clean bathrooms which had well-functioning modern toilets and showers with lots of hot water.
I lived in Tirana (the capital of Albania) more-or-less continuously from late August of 2011 through early July of 2012, and I can say that I liked Shkoder (and other cities like Berat, Korce, Pogradec and Sarande) more than Tirana. I will probably return to Albania around May of this year and, if I do, I will definitely head off to Shkoder (not more than 2.5 hours away from Tirana) and stay with Florian and his family at their guesthouse again.
This place is not to be missed !

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank 77AJW
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Florians during my walking trip through Albania and it is the guesthouse embodiment of Albanian hospitality.Hidden behind a metal gate and a painted sign on the wall of a lost backstreet is the oasis of Florians' family house and garden. I spent 2 really relaxing days enjoying the peace and quiet of the garden and it's grape-vine ceiling. In the daytime his mother and father are making homemade wine and raki from the grapes and in the evening I was treated to homegrown and freshly cooked dinner and the chance to sample the wine. All the time hearing fascinating stories about Albania's history, people and troubles. I would recommend this place to anyone travelling nearby. A lovely haven from which to explore the vibrant and wonderfully chaotic city.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank nicster82
Duisburg
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I was there in April 2012 for two nights. A very warm and cordial atmosphere. Florian, the ownwee, was very helpful, showed and explained my everything I wanted to know. I spend the mornings and evenings in the living room with his family. We had dbreakfast and dinner together. The most food (vegetables, meat and eggs) was from the family´s garden itself ore their animals. Even the bread was made by them. It was the only time I spend together with a real Albanian family in theier home. I felt very taken care by them. Thank you. If I go to Albania again, I would highly recommend Florians guesthouse to all who are in Skoder.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is a really unique place to stay. Pretty much everything they cook is grown in their own garden, and the family are really welcoming. We watched them producing home-made grappa and they even cooked a whole lamb on a rotating spit. I'd recommend this place to anyone who wants to see the 'real' Albania - and Florian is really knowledgable about the area as well as the history of Albania. Hopefully I'll make it back to Shkodra some day!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple