“Go to Shkoder and when you do, visit the Florian Shkodra Guesthouse !”

Florian Shkodra Guesthouse and Hostel
Ranked #1 of 30 Shkoder B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The Florian Shkodra Guesthouse was, as all the other reviews have pointed out, a great place to stay.
I stayed there for about two days in late June / early July of 2012, after which I went a little over the border to visit and stay in the Montenegrin beach-resort town of Ulcinj (where most of the people actually are ethnically Albanian) for about 1.5 days. After my thoroughly pleasant jaunt to Ulcinj, I came back to stay at the Guesthouse for another 24 hours or so.
The Guesthouse was great -- the price was reasonable, the food was good and plentiful, the accommodations were decent and the hosts -- Florian and his family -- were really nice and interesting to talk to. Florian deals the most with the tourists, as he is apparently the only one who knows English (though I spoke to him fairly extensively in my intermediate-level Albanian) and, in short, I had a great time there. The other members of his family constantly wanted to feed me :-)
Perhaps my favorite thing about staying there was that included in the price (I think around 18 - 20 USD in local money) was the opportunity to take one of the bicycles in the Guesthouse's very pretty vineyard-style courtyard and go for long afternoon rides into the city, where I did a lot of exploring and took zillions of photos.
The other couple of guests who I encountered there were generally cool (Florian arranged with us the time that we'd have a common and sumptuous dinner) and Florian was genuinely a nice and interesting guy more than willing to offer you his (well-informed) opinions on his city, country and the larger world around us.
On top of all of this, the accommodations were, as I already mentioned, quite good, with an excellent wi-fi connection and nice, spacious rooms with comfortable beds, cable TV and clean bathrooms which had well-functioning modern toilets and showers with lots of hot water.
I lived in Tirana (the capital of Albania) more-or-less continuously from late August of 2011 through early July of 2012, and I can say that I liked Shkoder (and other cities like Berat, Korce, Pogradec and Sarande) more than Tirana. I will probably return to Albania around May of this year and, if I do, I will definitely head off to Shkoder (not more than 2.5 hours away from Tirana) and stay with Florian and his family at their guesthouse again.
This place is not to be missed !

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank 77AJW

Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Florians during my walking trip through Albania and it is the guesthouse embodiment of Albanian hospitality.Hidden behind a metal gate and a painted sign on the wall of a lost backstreet is the oasis of Florians' family house and garden. I spent 2 really relaxing days enjoying the peace and quiet of the garden and it's grape-vine ceiling. In the daytime his mother and father are making homemade wine and raki from the grapes and in the evening I was treated to homegrown and freshly cooked dinner and the chance to sample the wine. All the time hearing fascinating stories about Albania's history, people and troubles. I would recommend this place to anyone travelling nearby. A lovely haven from which to explore the vibrant and wonderfully chaotic city.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank nicster82
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I was there in April 2012 for two nights. A very warm and cordial atmosphere. Florian, the ownwee, was very helpful, showed and explained my everything I wanted to know. I spend the mornings and evenings in the living room with his family. We had dbreakfast and dinner together. The most food (vegetables, meat and eggs) was from the family´s garden itself ore their animals. Even the bread was made by them. It was the only time I spend together with a real Albanian family in theier home. I felt very taken care by them. Thank you. If I go to Albania again, I would highly recommend Florians guesthouse to all who are in Skoder.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is a really unique place to stay. Pretty much everything they cook is grown in their own garden, and the family are really welcoming. We watched them producing home-made grappa and they even cooked a whole lamb on a rotating spit. I'd recommend this place to anyone who wants to see the 'real' Albania - and Florian is really knowledgable about the area as well as the history of Albania. Hopefully I'll make it back to Shkodra some day!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrSchad
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed at Florians on my way cycling through Albania and the Balkans. Was a really nice place to stay at the start of my trip through Albania as Florian and his family are very welcoming and easy to talk to about all things Albanian. Really great service when I couldnt find the way they sent out someone to come find me and I managed to jump on a pre organised tour of the city sights.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed January 21, 2013

To visit Theth, we were looking for a place to stay in Shkoder to start our trip to the Albanian alps. If you like to get in touch with local way of living, enjoy delicious local food, gather some tips for traveling and meet other travelers, this is the place you are looking for! He can also provide you a nice afternoon trip to see the highlites of Shkoder and watch the sunset at the old castle.

Florian arranged transportation and accomodation for us in Theth. The guesthouse is located just along the main road where all furgeons pass to the alps, so it really is an ideal place to start. It is also a good starting point to cross the Koman lake, which we did to travel to Kosova.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin W
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have stayed twice in Florian's guest house. Florian family made me feel very welcome in their guest house. I got along very well with those nice people. They were surprised when they heard me speaking Albanian. Florian and his family are friendly, open-minded people. We had many conversations about different issues. Florian talks about his country (which celebrated 100th anniversary of Independence) in a very interesting way. I was lucky to have dinner with guest house owners. They prepared inter alia, vegetable soup. It was delicious and I liked it so much. After dinner, Florian offered a glass of homemade rakia and wine. I had such a great time there and I recommend this guest house to every traveller!
Greetings from Poland!