“My opinion of Albania”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Mediterrane

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saranda
Hotel Mediterrane
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Saranda
Portsmouth
“My opinion of Albania”
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I deliberatly planned this 2 night trip before booking a two week stay in Corfu.

OK! The hotel was definately not the RITZ in any standard but the staff were the best I had ever come across. From the minute I arrived I was treated so well but in a laid back way. The manager reminded me of Basil Faulty with his attention to his staff in a strict manner then turning to the guests smiling.(the german couple next to me were in stiches). The food was good as was my cool room(albeit a power cut at 9pm).
The pool was cleaned every two hours by my calculations. Drinks were reasonable but were much cheaper in the city.

Lets get one thing clear, if unlike myself was to come her for a peaceful time, don't bother. The whole of Sarande was a building site of unfinished hotels restaurants, shops and houses. The promanade was beautiful with a nice walk . After ten minutes I stopped for my water in the heat. I turned away from the sea and there it was!! A huge flashing Neon "VODAPHONE" display. I felt quite sad because it seemed (realized) I was ten years too late.

A trip to Bruinti is a must if not for the ruins but the scenery which was fantastic, the ruins were a little disapointing for me. I visited sites in Croatia and Tunisia this was a bit of a let down. We stopped in a tiny village for lunch which was fantastic surrounded by vineyards. The wine was ok but that's it, I asked the manager if it was the locally produed? His answer was no, he said wait 5 minutes. Five minutes later he returned sweating with a carrafe of a cloudy plum coloured substance which he poured. It sounds stupid thinking back but this made my trip, this was beautiful , the best I have ever tasted.

The next day I went to Borsh a small town where again a number of buildings were going up. It has a nice strech of beach and is stress free and not so commercial as Sarande but there is very little to do or buy.

The locals I met in Sarande were mostly Greek in the bars and didn't appear to mix with the local Albanian population but I was in a bar where Albania has a 70% muslim demagraphic pop.

To sum up the hotel was fine,the trips were uninspiring but the real Albania is a gem.
Those who think Albania is backward can think again, this is a sleeping demon that's just woke up. When I first approached Sarande two days earlier looking at the mountains and clear blue sea, gazed and thought how beautifuly naked it looked. As mentioned earlier, I was ten years too late. Welcome to Europe Albania!
Would I return??
Not sure, best leave it at that , for now.

Room Tip: Go in to town for drinks(drink with locals) cheap
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
22 Thank Hewey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
Berat, Albania
Reviewed January 1, 2011

Its in the enter of Saranda in the hill. Clean, good breakfast, good personel and good food.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
8 Thank Sidi_Go
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed November 29, 2010

I had the pleasure to stay at this hotel during a business trip. The hotel is very clean and offers a good standard also for the European traveller. The staff is very friendly, the owner personally is very keen to make sure that everything is perfect. The restaurant offers delicious food. The beautiful promenade of the Sarande coastline is quite close.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business