“A really beautiful place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 93 things to do in Hirosaki
Brisbane, Australia
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“A really beautiful place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

We were very, very lucky to visit (8 May) when the cherry blossoms were in full bloom. Due to recent cold weather the blossoms were delayed for a week or so but that suited us fine as we had not expected to see them. We were on an organised tour from our cruise ship (Sun Princess) which had docked in nearby Aomori. The cherry blossoms were magnificent stretching all up the street to the entrance and then all over the vast grounds. It was quite crowded as everyone from all over Japan visits these gardens when they are in bloom. As it was a beautiful day, it was photographer's paradise. The scenes with the castle, the pink blossoms, the snow capped Mt Iwiki in the background and the water filled moat were just magic. This was one of the highlights of our trip. You just have to choose the right day!

Visited May 2013

54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 180 helpful votes
“Winter blossoms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Hirosaki park, think Spring, think Sakura blossoms against Hirosaki Castle in the background.
That was a few years ago in Spring, this time I came for the winter Blossoms, 雪花。
I took a bus from Hirosaki station to the Park. The ride was about 10 mins. Upon boarding the bus, I would confirm with the bus driver on my intended destination. To ensure I am on the right bus and also the driver (without fail) would let me know when it is the stop to alight. Ahhhh, Japanese hospitality. I really miss them. Anyway, the whole park was empty. I practically had the whole place to myself. Everything was white, with the exception of the bare trees. No one was in sight. With the bare expanse of white, one could easily get lost if one is not holding a map. I encountered a guard after about 45mins in the park.He was patrolling the ground, maybe to ensure no lost souls wandering haplessly, lost in the whiteness.
Hirosaki Castle finally after much turns and twist. In the distance, against the red bridge, stands the famous Castle. The whiteness of the snow, the red of the bridge, the stillness of the castle, the dancing of the winter blossoms, fluttering and swirling.
And another thing about snowing, one minute the sky was nice and clear, the next minute it started to snow cats and dogs.
The sky cleared again and before I called it a day, I was able to get another shot of the castle.
Hirosaki park with the castle is beautiful in Spring with Cherry blossom and the merry making crowds.
Hirosaki park with the castle is Exceptional in Winter with winter blossom and no merry making crowd to break the quiet serenity.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank bakatori
TAIWAN
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Great park and Cherry trees”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Unfortunately we did not catch up the Cherry blossom season, but still we enjoyed the quiet and peaceful atmosphere in this park.It looks like everything is getting ready for the Mitsuri!

Visited April 2013
2 Thank DDS.LO
Atlanta
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“I Dream about this Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

I cant stop dreaming about this place. Too bad I was on a business visit with limited time, an afternoon and a evening. The cherry blossoms where in magnificent bloom, weather was unbelievable, the park and Palace where beautiful, the people where so nice and this is the thing I cant forget, the apple juice. Its the most wonderful thing. There is nothing like it.
There was also a traditional restaurant with a Sanshin Orchestra that was way cool, magical actually. The Sanshin is that three string banjo type instrument that is so associated with Japan. When you hear a dozen of them at once its really incredible. They drifted into some Pink Floyd which thrilled me and left many confused. The lead musician was impressed that I got it and introduced himself and gave me a CD which I've lost and regret. I'll return some day.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Tom T
London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Spring Festival”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

join in the locals as you dive into a scene from a japanese tv series - locals fishing with a balloon, churros (surprising!), ramen and udon at makeshift tents, local girls and boys hanging out, blend in with the locals and make it a great weekend for every one from 8 ~ 80 yrs old.

Visited April 2012