“Great location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Toyoko Inn Kokura Station South Entrance
Torrance, California
“Great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Toyoko Inn's are everywhere througout Japan. They are very consistent in their room designs, which is a great thing if you travel throughout Japan and need to stay at a hotel you know will be good!

There appear to be two Toyoko Inn's close to JR Kokura Station, and this one is "Kokura-eki Minamiguchi" (Kokura Station South Exit). It's a small block southeast of JR Kokura Station, so there is no need to call for a taxi if the luggage load is light.

I booked online, several months prior, for a non-smoking Single room. The room is pretty spacious, and this time I noticed that the common "pre-fabricated" bathroom was slightly more spacious than at competing hotels and extended stay hotels in Japan. The bed is more of a U.S. "full size" bed, definitely bigger than a twin. The room also has a remote for the in-room AC/heating unit. Internet access is available either by LAN or WiFi. I can't vouch for either, as I rented Pocket Wi Fi throughout my trip this time.

There is a free breakfast every morning (until 9 or earlier I believe) that consists of miso soup, fish, onigiri (seasoned rice triangles, two kinds when I was there), tea and a few other appetizers, in a small buffet style setup.

With Toyoko Inn's, and other business hotels (I'm assuming), you have to give them your room key whenever you leave the hotel. When you return to the hotel, you can ask the front desk for your room key. I do speak some Japanese, enough to get by with the day to day, so I would tell them my room number whenever I came back to go to my room.

There is a coin laundry at the hotel that runs for 24 hours, and vending machines for drinks at the ground floor.

I've stayed at one other business hotel, but I prefer the Toyoko Inn. The rooms are very clean, service is consistent and the free breakfast is a nice touch. Great for a solo traveler if you don't plan on sleeping in :)

Room Tip: This is a "business hotel". That said, the hotel deploys the cleaning staff around 9am thr...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Aberdeen, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights while we were in Kitakyushu for business. Our Japanese clients had arranged this hotel for us, and we were quite pleased with it. It was only a few minutes' walk from Kokura Station, and there is also a convenience store a block away, along with many restaurants. The Kokura Station area is packed with all kinds of shopping as well.....we enjoyed walking through some of the covered shopping arcades nearby. There are several 100-yen shops there, which are fun to browse for souvenirs.

There were also plenty of tourist sights to enjoy when we weren't working...Tanga Market, Kokura Castle, and the Rverwalk were each about a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

The room itself was quite small (typical in Japan) but plenty adequate. Free internet is included. There was also a free breakfast served each morning in the lobby, which usually consisted of rice, miso soup, fresh rolls, coffee, juice, and a few other rotating dishes like sausages and salad. Our clients had mentioned that there was a McDonald's right down the street if we preferred an American-style breakfast, but we found the hotel breakfast to be quick and easy, and plenty filling.

There seemed to be only one staff member who spoke any English, so we did have some difficulty communicating with the front desk at times. Apparently, you must leave your key at the front desk when you are away, which we were a bit confused about. But, despite the language barrier, everyone was very helpful and we would definitely consider this hotel for a future stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights with my son.

It is an easy walk from the JR (Kokura) station which provides good shinkasen connections, plus you can easily head south to Beppu on the Sonic train. Convenience store within a block for sundry items and only about 2 blocks to the main business street. Breakfast is provided and is good.

I typically stay in Toyoko Inns on trips to Japan, and this is a good one--I usually pick this chain for its consistent quality, the fact it has a decent English friendly website for reservations and that most of them are within walking distance of the train stations. The rooms of course are small, which is the typical size for all business hotel rooms in Japan (but if you are reading reviews here, you probably know that by now!)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family