“Great Place!”

Ranked #2 of 3 Algoma B&B and Inns
Vadnais Heights, Minnesota, United States
“Great Place!”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I just got back from our trip to Algoma and this is the first review on Tripadvisor that I have ever written. We had such a good experience at this B & B that I had to give it a great review. Kari is a wonderful host. We arrived later in the night but she left everything right there for us to get into our room. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The deck is very spacious and a great spot to see the sunrise if you're up early enough. Make sure you are hungry for breakfast every morning...because they are huge. I normally don't eat a big breakfast but I didn't leave much on my plate any morning because it was so delicious I couldn't stop eating. Thanks for everything Kari and Dave. We hope to see you again!
Jenn & Mike

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kari A, Owner at at the Waters Edge, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Hey guys - I'm so glad you enjoyed staying with me. Thanks for the 'shout-out' on my breakfasts... I'm always happy when guests "finish everything on their plate" (teehee - just like Momma always said...) Looking forward to seeing you again, too. See you soon.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This was our first time staying at an B&B and we fell in love with the place. We stayed in the Tropical Paradise room, located on the second floor, private balcony over looking Lake Michigan. It was so nice to hear the waves hit the shore that we both slept so good, the breakfast was different each day, the host was wonderful. We will be coming back to this B&B again, and we are planning to bring my brother and sister-in law. Thanks Kari and Dave for making our trip fun of memories.

Room Tip: if you like anything to do with the islands pick the tropical paradise room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kari A, Owner at at the Waters Edge, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
SO glad you guys had a great stay. As I'm sure I mentioned - the Tropical Paradise room is my favorite as well. I look forward to meeting your brother and sister-in-law. Make a nice little family get-together out of it. Take care and until next time....
Burlington, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We chose Kari and Dave's place at a spur-of-the-moment trip. We decided to make a quick motorcycle ride to Algoma to visit Nikki's favorite winery, Von-Stiehl. We grabbed a couple bottles of wine and continued to the B&B. Kari was waiting and very welcoming. We loved the room and the whirlpool tub after a cold wet ride. Breakfast was almost a wonderful as the conversation with Kari... Thanks so much for everything, including the wine glasses. :) We'll be back.

Kari A, Owner at at the Waters Edge, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
I'm glad you chose to stay with me for that 'spur-of-the-moment' ride. I'm so sorry for the weather that was happening when you were here. I like to call it 'liquid sunshine'. I hope you do come back soon, I also really enjoyed the breakfast conversation. You don't even have to bring the wine glasses back.... I will have a new set for you to use (...and leave here...LOL) Maybe next time we can head out for a ride with ya'. Thanks again and take care... Until next time......
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My husband surprised me with a B & B visit upon becoming "empty nesters". The Honeymoon Suite was perfect. The room was clean and decorated beautifully. The coffee was good, and the breakfasts were ample and tasty. Kari is very friendly, warm, and accommodating. She knows the area well, and was very helpful in suggestions for a fun day. But, just sitting on the deck, listening to the waves, can make for a beautiful day at the Waters Edge.

1 Thank ShellieandMark
Kari A, Owner at at the Waters Edge, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Always glad to hear about surprises. And glad to be part of them. You guys were just as friendly. Sitting back and hearing the waves is my kind of day, too. Thanks for visiting me and hopefully I will get to see you again soon.
Machesney Park, Illinois
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We "just" returned from our 3 night stay - Kari is a great hostess ! She is warm and friendly and just loves what she is doing and it shows. Breakfast was great she is very creative not a bad meal in our three morning's Kari loves animals and all the critters she feeds in the morning love her - they call her Momma (i heard them) All in all her place is very much like our home and she made us feel like part of the family! We never saw a house keeping issue She asked us every morning if everything was OK and it was We will diffently stay there again when in the area
Donna & Don

Room Tip: Not a bad view of beautiful Lake Michigan from any room
Kari A, Owner at at the Waters Edge, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Geeee thanks. I do love what I'm doing, how can I not? I get to meet great people like you guys all the time. Yes, my 'critters' do call me 'momma' (teehee) Glad you had a good time and I look forward to a fellow Mickey Mouse lover visit again. See you soon.
Chilton, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary during our stay at this B&B. WE love the deck with a great view of Lake MI. Kari feeds the critters which is very entertaining. Breakfast was enormous and tasty. Dave shared some early fireworks with us. We enjoyed the Nautical room. Beyond the control of people, there were a lot of mayflies which made a mess of the ground. We enjoy the peacefulness of Algoma, driving to Door County for the day.

Kari A, Owner at at the Waters Edge, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Oh you guys - it's always a pleasure having you here. We didn't mind at all giving you a sample firework display. Sorry about all those mayflies - but, with the late arrival of spring, those mayflies became julyflies. Hope to see you again for the "4th visit" - (hopefully for the 4th, of July - which is going to be bigger and badder than ever.)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at this B&B. The owners, Kari and Dave, are wonderful hosts. They are very friendly and fun to talk with. Kari feeds all the little critters on the deck, which is fun to watch. The deck overlooks Lake Michigan and the scenery is spectacular. We had an early morning fishing trip and had to be at the docks by 3:45 AM. Kari got up and made coffee for us and left some mini muffins out for breakfast. The other breakfasts we had were creative and very good - not to mention plentiful.

Overall, the stay here was good, however, there was an issue with the cleanliness of our room. When we arrived it was very apparent that our bathroom had not been cleaned. The floors were filthy and, let's just say there was "body hair" on the floor, the base of the toilet and urine stains around the toilet seat. Needless to say, we did not want to use the bathroom in this condition, so we had to use Clorox wipes to clean the bathroom ourselves. I did talk to Kari about this and she apologized several times and mentioned she got a phone call while cleaning the room and must have forgot to go back to clean the bathroom.

There were other things with the room that bothered us and we did not say anything, so in the B&B's defense, they did not have an opportunity to remedy these (stains on the comforter, stains on the bed skirt, spider webs, dusty/dirty window sills). Our room was above the garage, and on our last night, shortly after we had fallen asleep, we were woke up by the garage door opening at 11:45 PM. When we had fallen back to sleep, we were woke up by the garage door closing.

All in all, I would love to give this B&B 4 or 5 stars, but the cleanliness was really a problem for us. Kari and Dave are wonderful hosts who are very friendly. I have read through the other reviews and I don't see anything regarding the cleanliness of this B&B, so this could very well have been a one time issue. The location is just gorgeous, the hosts are fabulous, but the room was not clean.

1 Thank Dibella32
Kari A, Owner at at the Waters Edge, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Glad you guys enjoyed your stay. I do sincerely apologize for the bathroom, as I completely got distracted and did not finish. I truly am sorry. That has never happened before. As for the bugs, living on the lake does bring in its fair share of unwelcomed creatures... We just had the 'spider-man' out and sometimes 'things' come out of the woodwork before dying. (ewww) The garage door was raised by my children when they arrived for the weekend...staying in the RV on my driveway, I didn't think they would have to open the door at all, but, they did. Sometimes, a lot of 'mishaps' happen at once, I am sorry they seemed to fall on your weekend. I did enjoy your company and look forward to your future visit. Take care....
Also consider these accommodations in or near Algoma
Westwood Shores Waterfront Resort
#3 of 3 in Algoma
Coho Motel
Coho Motel
#1 of 2 in Kewaunee

Been to at the Waters Edge? Share your experiences!