“Dirty, Smelly, Rip Off”
Review of Algoma Beach Motel

Algoma Beach Motel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Algoma
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My wife and I stopped here on our vacation traveling through Wi. The room had a terrible smell, The carpet was stained and dirty, The beds are rock hard and we both tossed and turned all night. Everything in this room reeked. This is the worst motel I have ever stayed at. I would not recommend this place for anyone.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Richard P

Reviewed August 17, 2012

This could be a GREAT place, located right on the beach of Lake Michigan. But the rooms are so old and SO dirty, and moreover, SO OVERPRICED that I doubt we will stay here again. The carpets were filthy. Broken Venetian blinds on the windows, old bedding, sagging beds, cheap, filthy dirty tables -- one table in our room would not have sold for 50 cents in a garage sale it was so bad. For the prices they charge, the rooms and furnishings could really stand to be updated...or at least cleaned. Not happy campers.

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank thebirdguy123
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I usually ride my bicycle to Door County each summer. Algoma is one of my usual stops. I usually stay in a different (very basic) hotel, but because my wife driving along with me this year I decided to try the Algoma Beach Hotel since she loves the water. I saw all the bad reviews but booked it booked it any way.

Is it a basic, older hotel that could use some TLC? Yes. But, our room was spotless with a water view and deck. The room was not huge but plenty big for the two of us. The bed was comfortable. The "breakfast" is not a reason to stay here.

Our weather was fabulous so we enjoyed the beach, the water and the water views from our deck until dark.

Would I stay here again? Yes.

Room Tip: Ask for a water facing room with a deck. Its worth a few $$ more.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2012

This place is awful! The room was smelly when we walked in. We weren't even sure if the sheets were changed, there was a pile of sand next to the t.v. so they didn't clean very good. The towels were grungy and had stains on them, no hair dryer. This might be a good place for fishermen who don't care but not for women. Roudy people in the halls later at night. They sure must have changed since some of these reviews because they didn't offer juice until 8 in the morning or the other breakfast items, staff wasn't very friendly. About all that was good about it was the view. Will definitely not be coming back here!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank chambord1
Reviewed June 27, 2012

This was a "spur of the moment" decision to stay here as we had changed our minds & decided to travel around door county for two days instead of just one. Our room rate was $146.00 and we were told it was last room. We walked in and put down some things and immediatedly went to dollar store. I had to wipe down entire room with bleach wipes (that I really bought for home) I noticed we only had 1 bath towel. there were fly nests in the corners by the door. the bathroom overhead fan was so full of dust & things I don't even know how it could run. Furnishings old and dirty...Do yourself a favor...Pass this one by...fast!!!

Room Tip: This is the first time I have ever gotten a truely rotten room however I will never accept a room ag...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jeanne m
Reviewed November 2, 2011

We stayed at the end of the season (late Oct) and had a dog, but the rate for 2 nights was still $250.00! The room was clean, but that is about all that I can say about it. Oh, and the view of the lake off the deck was nice. The blanket/sheets were thread bare, mattress very uncomfortable, towels were also thin. There was no coffee pot in the room (had to walk to the office for coffee...easier to drive to the MacDonald's down the street). The furniture was vintage 1960 and the chairs had holes in them. No shelf in bathroom to set toiletries on. When the heat went on it there was a loud pounding sound that keep us awake all night!
I would not stay here again. Spend a few more bucks and go further up the peninsula to a nicer place with amenities

Room Tip: stay in the 2 story part
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank DianneFlossmoor
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Clean rooms but only very basic and small. The towels had shreds and holes. The tv channels could only be adjusted down - had to turn off tv to get higher channels. The front desk clerk could use some professional customer service training.

Room Tip: If you want to pay more you can get a lake view room which would probably be better than overlooking...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Algoma
Best Western Maritime Inn
#3 of 3 in Algoma
at the Waters Edge
at the Waters Edge
#2 of 3 in Algoma

Been to Algoma Beach Motel? Share your experiences!