See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 8, 2016 via mobile

Accommodations were wonderful. The service was beyond perfect. The hosts were so kind. We loved the history of the building and exploring the many levels. The meals were wonderful, and they accommodated one vegetarian perfectly! Thank you for a great stay! Highly recommend!

Stayed: July 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2013

If you want to feel as if you came to ancient Japan, and are ready to pay the price, this places is for you. It is really exceptional, and local hosts are really very welcoming. We really enjoyed traditional rooms, very interesting architecture of a building and local meals. But I find the price a bit too expensive. But if you are ready to pay for authenticity, you are welcome!

Room Tip: The rooms with toilet and shower are downstairs, and they are a bit more isolated than the rooms on the top floor where you sleep among paper walls.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank IevaRute
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed two nights and I have to say the place was very nice, the staff very friendly and kind. We ate breakfast and dinner and it was excellent food.
The location is not perfect but there are buses and taxis that take you to the Shrines.
If you can afford it, I'd recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank tizibcn
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We had an enjoyable stay in this nice old ryokan. The building is pretty interesting and picturesque. However, it is this mother and son team who run this ryokan that really makes this stay special. As mentioned in previous reviews, it is not a five star luxury ryokan, but the price does reflect what you pay for. We were able to easily walk to all the major sites, and there is a bus stop right in front of the Asakichi.
We felt right at home during our stay, and each of the carefully prepared meals was an enjoyable experience.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nickwc
Reviewed July 3, 2012

If you have strong interest in traditional Japanese accommodation and pilgrimage to the shrine of Ise, this is it! However, it is absolutely not a five star hotel. Actually it is difficult to rate this accommodation due to following pros and cons, but I would say 4.

Pros
- Traditional Japanese style building: this building is on a slope hence the entrance is 4 o5 5 stories in the building. It reminder you Edo era and must to see.
- Location : It is located in the middle of 2 shrines, hence if you walk here to stay after Geku visit, you will feel like pilgrimage in Edo era. It takes 1 or 2 minutes to the nearest bus stop.
- Service: It is not a five star hotel, but is very comfortable and heart warming. Also some dignity in place.

Cons
- Cleanness : it never be very dirty. I find some place need to be clean, such as table in the room near the window, corridor. I do not think it is due to the building is so old because I saw a lot of super clean guesthouses in Kyoto in Machiya (traditional Japanese house) style. Bathroom, bed are enough clean and comfortable. Considering a lot of super clean accommodation IN JAPAN even at very budget price, I think the cleanness of this accommodation need to be improved.
- Facilities : Since the building is old, facility is not brand new and sometime shared, i.e. shared bathroom (but shower is in place in my room), no lift. However I never mind it since whole of building is very beautiful.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank michi123456