“Lots to see here”

Book In Advance
More Info
$119.03*
and up
Half-Day Kamakura Walking Tour with Kotokuin...
Ranked #1 of 195 things to do in Kamakura
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This temple is most notable for its wooden statue of Kannon, the 11-headed goddess of mercy, but it also has a lovely garden and pond, and a viewing platform with a great city view.
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

To my surprise, this was my favorite spot in Kamakura and I spent more time here than at any other temple. I enjoyed the temple, but there was a lot more to see. The gardens are beautiful, as is the walk up the stairs through the hydrangeas. The carvings in the cave are also interesting. The grounds are very well marked. There is an English brochure on background information for this sight, which was unfortunately located near the exit- would have helpful to read this upon entering.

1  Thank Kat0425
Write a ReviewReviews (1,354)
All reviews
in 9 reviews
"japanese garden"
"min walk"

Reviewed July 6, 2013

First, I should say that my wife and I happened to be here on a festival day, so the crowds were absolutely ridiculous. While this did detract somewhat, I still recommend this as a stop when you're in Kamakura. There is a beautiful walk along the hillside and since the ajisai (hydrangeas) were in full bloom. There was a 45 minute wait for this, and then the walk moved very slowly. I assume this was due the amount of people there due to the festival, but it may be busy other times as well. The walk was worth the wait and the pictures we got were amazing.
When we got to the end of the walk, we got the opportunity to got only see the Kyozo Sutra Archive (rotating bookracks), but to spin it as well, which . This is only available a few times a month, so this was exciting and, according legend, we gained all of the knowledge of reading all of the sutras!
Finally, we went to Benten-kutsu Cave and to see the carvings. Not only was it something very interesting to see, but the temperature was much cooler, which was a welcome respite!
There were many other things to see, including the temple, the Jizu statues, the view of Kamakura. This is definitely worth the 300 yen admission and the 15 minute hike.

1  Thank Aaron M
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We really enjoyed this Temple because it had so much to see. There is an entrance fee but it doesn't cost much at all. This place was great because there was so much more to see than at the other temples or shrines in the area: a statue of golden Buddha, an observation deck that offers a nice (not amazing) view of the town, beach and ocean, gardens that stretch up the side of the hill which you can walk around, statues of tiny Buddhas (at a place women go to pray when they have a miscarriage), water features, something I can only describe as a 'prayer rotation device' which has a load of scrolls of prayers in it and a couple of times a month or so, the monks have to rotate it - it's big, the temple itself and numerous 'black kites' (the bird not the toy) which swoop overhead. These birds are massive hawks and not so common in the UK so my dad was amazed to see them here - and so many of them. I guess they are always around the temple as there are signs warning you to be careful with your food.

All in all, we had a great hour or so at this temple. Highly recommended if you go to Kamakura.

1  Thank Mr.Ashwell
Reviewed June 23, 2013

When I planned my trip to Kamakura, Japan, I thought that the Big Buddha would be my favorite sight on the trip. Much to my surprise, the Hasedera Temple outshone all other sights! Start your trip here so as not to miss out on this amazing temple!