“Nice walk from shrine to train station”

Kamakura Komachidori
Private Kamakura Custom Day Tour by Chartered Vehicle from Tokyo
Long Beach, California
149 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 101 helpful votes
“Nice walk from shrine to train station”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I walked back from Tsurugaoka shrine to train station down this shopping street. There are lots of shops and restaurants. I had udon in one of the little restaurants. It was quite delicious. Seemed like the shops were filled with local art and products?

Visited October 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely street with authentic Japanese products.”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I fell in love the first step I made into Komachidori. All lovely&interesting shops along both sides with real Japanese stuff (not like Asakusa which filled with Chinese and Korean products). I enjoyed it all the way through to Hachimangu shrine. Next time I will go there in early April in order to see hundreds of Sakura blossom....

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Chirayudh
Sydney
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Street full of delightful shops”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I have to admit that I stumbled onto Komachidori by accident. I was actually trying to find the Tsurugaoka Hachimangu shrine and the map I'd obtained from the tourist office at Kamakura station didn't provide very much detail. I also hadn't done much research on Kamakura before I arrived, not having planned on visiting this city beforehand, so I had no idea what to expect.

Komachidori is just behind the main street, Wakamiya-oji, leading up to Hachimangu shrine. It's full of little shops selling local wares and delicacies. Many of them specialise in just one type of product, e.g. chopsticks, incense, rice crackers, savoury snacks, bags, ceramics, etc. It's a fabulous place to browse through, and to find a special gift or souvenir. I found a shop featuring ceramics by a local potter and bought a lovely, one-off glazed plate for 2000 yen.

Just be mindful that, even though it looks like a pedestrian zone, Komachidori does actually have the odd vehicle coming through it.

There are lots of restaurants on Komachidori, but I ended up eating in a soba restaurant on the road between Komachidori and Hachimangu shrine. Actually, there are 2 there. On my first day in Kamakura, I went to the one closer to Komachidori (not sure if this is its name, but it said "soba restaurant" on the sign), which is more expensive and seems to be aiming to be a bit more of a fine dining establishment. The most popular dish seemed to be a soba with a yam dipping sauce, which I found to be too thick and gluggy for my liking. On my second day in Kamakura, I ate at the one closer to the shrine (just a shopfront or two down from the previous restaurant), which didn't have any English name that I could see; I enjoyed this one more: I had soba in a broth with tempura, which was made to order, so it was delightfully hot and crispy; I also had a seat at the counter so I could see everything being prepared. While there was no English menu and staff spoke no English, they were very helpful and had a sheet with translations of key items on the menu. They also provided me with a dipping sauce for the tempura, to go with the salt that was available to all diners; I preferred the salt, though, as it preserved better the crisp texture of the tempura.

Visited May 2012
5 Thank djinnooi
Vienna, Virginia
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Must do side trip while in Tokyo”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Tokyo is truly one of the most exciting, somewhat chaotic, cities in the world. If you have a day available while there be sure to take a trip south to Kamakura. It's only about 30 miles to the southwest and easily accessible by train. On my last trip my family and I took a direct train from Shinjuku to Kamakura for a fare less 1000 Yen and a trip that took about 1 hour.

That one hour, 30 mile, trip south of Tokyo allows one to experience a part of Japan that is the polar opposite of modern / chaotic Tokyo. Kamakura played a critical role in Japanese history, particularly in the period 1100 - 1400 AD. To a large extent this historical past is well preserved throughout this seaside city.

Kamakura has Buddhist and Shinto shrines scattered throughout the wooded hills that surround the city. Clearly the most famous is the bronze seated Buddha - the Amida Buddha at Kotoku-in; definitely a don't miss if you take the trip to Kamakura. Also of note are the five great Zen temples: Kencho-ji, Engaku-ji, Jufuku-ji, Jochi-ji and Jomyo-ji.

Spend a little time on the train trip to plan you trip around Kamakura. With the number and location of temples and shrines there is more to see than you are likely to visit in a single day. My favorite is the Eyewitness Travel Guidebooks, the information provided about Kamakura will give you all the information you need. If that is not enough or you have more questions the tourist information office at the train station can fill in the blanks.

Once in Kamakura and you know what you want to see, the key decisions is how to get around. My family and I like to spend the time to immerse with the locals, so we decided to walk. Another option is to rent a bike; easily available near the train station and finally taxis can be found throughout to shuttle you from one sight to the next.

As you get around to the various temples you will experience the more serene aspects of Kamakura. The area immediately surrounding the train station is filled with restaurants and shops. It tends to be crowded with tourists, most of whom are Tokyo residents who are also seeking a day of escape. The restaurants can be very crowded, especially the one on the main road. We found a very nice restuarant with decent food at a reasonable price by venturing down a side alley.

We planned a trip that begin in the morning by leaving Shinjuku around 9:00 AM , arriving in Kamakura just after 10:00 AM, toured several temples before heading back towards the train station to get lunch, an after lunch tour of a few more temples, and then back to the train station to leave around 4:00 to get back to Shinkuku around 5:00. Before to get the train schedule to know when you want to leave. The closer you get to the end of the day, the more crowded the trains will be.

Visited May 2011
5 Thank VetTraveler56
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Strolling Down A Narrow Street Full Of Delights”
Reviewed October 14, 2011

"Komachi Dori" means "Small Town Street" and this is Kamakura's cramped albeit quaint main shopping street. This is a great place for street photography but you might get some stares. Take your time to explore the different novelty shops both to your right and to your left. The shops selling Japan's traditional washi (rice paper) would make great souvenirs along with various other artisan's carvings and craft. There is also a lovely shop called Waraku that sells just chopsticks which you can then request for your name to be carved in Japanese Katagana or Hiragana. And don't miss out on the Japanese sweet shops along the way. I went in March when they had started selling sakura (cherry blossom) based sweets as spring was approaching. The sakura mochi which was extremely delicious. It is not cheap but well worth it seeing as they are all handmade and can only be found in Japan. A pickle shop is also on this same street and you may try the items for free. You would be amazed by the variety of pickled products available. The packs are well sealed should you wish to buy back to your home country. Be sure too to look out for the man selling sen bei (rice crackers) which are hot and scrumptious. Bite into it as you stroll along this fascinating street full of delights and knickknacks.

Visited March 2011