Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
duggernaut
New York, NY

Great location, simple charm

Review of Daitokan
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Aug 8, 2017
Daitokan is located right in the center of town, directly across from the yubatake. It's not the nicest or the most traditional feeling place in town, but it's very reasonable and the ryokan-style rooms are spacious and comfortable. Dinner in the top floor restaurant was delicious and the hotel's onsen is open almost all night. There are several other nice onsen within a few minutes' walk, as well. All in all, a nice, reasonable place to base yourself on a budget.
Date of stay: August 2017
    $626
0.0 miles from Daitokan
Restaurant
View more hotels in Kusatsu-machi
All reviews sister hotel buffet style great location hot water refill lotion comfort shuttle yubatake tatami dinner town onsen
Selected filters
Reviewed November 12, 2016 via mobile

It is nestled in the corner of Kusatsu City facing directly to the heart of the attraction : hot spring reservoir.
Invest in traditional room with meal (ryokan style). It is worth every minute and pennies.
Don't worry about carrying clothes. They provide you with yukata and getta.
You'll be ll taken care off. The front desk agents are really helpfull

Date of stay: June 2016
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2016 via mobile

We recently returned from a couple of days at the Daitokan Hotel in Kusatsu. It has an excellent location.

The optional breakfast was an excellent buffet. The optional dinner was an individual hotpot meal.

We booked a Standard Japanese Room - Yubatake View. We were told on check in that they didn't have any view rooms available. Well, having prepaid, we said In Japanese that they could either refund the difference or find us one. Also, we asked about a return ride to the transit center, and were told that they don't have any shuttle van. I asked you mean the one you picked us up with two days ago. They embarrassedly drove us the short distance to the transit center. Normally, I like things to run smoothly, but when they don't, I'm not afraid to speak up, to ask for what we paid for.

Their location is excellent. Right on the Yubatake water falls, at the center of everything. PS, no WiFi even in the lobby. Closest free hotspot was at 7-Eleven across the way.

Date of stay: September 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank edmagnin
Reviewed February 12, 2016

A well-equipped & centrally located onsen hotel in Kusatsu. Nothing to complain when the hotel complex is equipped with onsen spa, restaurants, sitting room, locker room, mini-store, game center, karaoke bar and meeting rooms. Kusatsu hot springs & Kosenji Temple are just nearby. Plenty of souvenir shops & izakayas within walking distance from the hotel.

APPRECIATIONS
1) Japanese style breakfast portion is huge & and taste really good. Not to be missed.
2) Free shuttle bus service from hotel to the carpark
3) Almost 24-hour onsen spa on G/F (Male & Female onsen are swapped everyday at 12 midnight)
4) Karaoke bar on top floor offers magnificent view of kusatsu onsen. Chinese songs are a bit old but good for fun. All-you-can-drink package is worthy if you are good drinkers.
5) Free wooden slippers for guests to walk to the nearby onsen

DISAPPOINTMENTS
1) Japanese style rooms are a bit dated but tidy & clean
2) Outdoor onsen spa is a bit small

Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed January 31, 2016

Daitokan Hotel have indoor and outdoor onsen. Indoor onsen is ok. but outdoor is small. The Hotel located beside yubatake just walking 10 m. It very easy to walking around yubatake and go to sainokawara shopping street.

Date of stay: November 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2015 via mobile

I booked through Japanican website. They were excellent. Reservation process was simple, no prepayment. They had a promo for "Early Bird Special: Book at least 30 days in advance and save! Earthenware Grilled Joshu Beef Standard Kaiseki Course Dinner Plan ¥26,000".

Needing to contact the hotel to inform them of our diet restriction plus check up on a couple of things I had to drop a mail to Japanican to ask for assistance.. They responded within a couple of days. Well done Japanican!

Upon arrival at Kusatsu Onsen Bus Terminal I asked the Information Desk to call the hotel for pick-up. It came within 10 minutes. Off to a good start Daitokan!

It became obvious later that this service is an extra service since the young man picking us up was a Front Desk personnel, He wasn't the usual driver.

A slight hiccup upon entering our room. It was a large Western style room. I had booked for a Japanese style room. So down we went to the front desk. In my badly broken Japanese I explained that it wasn't the room we booked for. Luckily, I had printed out the reservation email from Japanican. The nice young man eventually produced 2 room keys and proceeded to bring us to view the rooms. First room was large but had no view besides rooftops. Second room he explained, was small but had the view of the Yubatake. I gladly took this room as it was perfect for us. Smaller than the other two but large enough (It's fitted to allow maximum 4 guests since it had 4 sets of everything). Still with toilet and shower. The Western style room we saw earlier was very dated if compared to the Japanese style rooms.

I was quite impressed that instead of just giving us a key to a Japanese style room, he gave us a choice of two rooms.

Onsen was pretty small and no view, being on the ground floor. At least it had a rotenburo. Interchange at midnight. Good thing about their bath is they had many skin care and hair care products. Even eyebrow liner! Foot massage chair. One thing though.. Quite slippery, I almost slipped.

Dinner was really good. When I asked Japanican to check the venue of dinner I was informed it'll be at the same restaurant as our breakfast. I was really hoping that the dinner would be at another restaurant which was more fine dining and nicer ambience. Considering we would be having a Kaiseki dinner it would be a pity to be dining in a coffee-house.. (I saw conflicting photos on my research). Thus, I was pleasantly surprised to be informed that our dinner would be in the restaurant on the 9th floor while breakfast would be at the 2nd floor.
Dinner was served in a semi private room. Everything was delicious and we were even presented with a bottle of complementary sake! Instead of the grilled Joshu Beef we got Sukiyaki. But it was ok for me since I've not had Sukiyaki during this trip yet but grilled beef too frequently already.

After dinner we went and sat at the foot bath by the Yubatake. The location is really good since the hotel is right next to the Yubatake. Lots of eateries, 7Eleven and shops. Very happening ambience. There was a counter selling yummy looking Yakitori in the evening near the 7Eleven that almost made me regret booking a room with dinner plan since I was too full to try.
Despite being so near the Yubatake I didn't find it noisy. Sleep was good. Some noise from people at Yubatake but just a couple of times.

Breakfast was served buffet style. Quite a variety. Please see the photos. Apologies since I took the photos almost at the end so food were no longer refilled. Actually there were more food.

At check out we left two items at their cloak room as we were only catching the 3:20pm bus out. The walk to the bus terminal would have taken us around 5-10 minutes from the hotel but it looked like about to rain. So I asked the reception (Same nice young man) if they could send us to the station? He said yes but is it ok if it's done right away since he wasn't sure if they'll get busy later? So I gladly said yes!

Overall, I am really glad I stayed here. If I ever return to Kusatsu I will definitely stay here. The worst part of the hotel is its room corridors. Very old and horrible looking. But we only use it to enter and exit our room and the rest of the hotel is ok: Room, lobby, Onsen, 9th floor and 2nd floor restaurants, excellent location and excellent meals served and most importantly, really great service!

Date of stay: November 2015