All reviewstallest buildingtrain stationplace to stayconcert hallluxury hotelbic camerasecond floorjapanese standardsnice viewstayed here for one nightright next doorrestaurants and barsbig groupmusical instrumentsshopping mallnice hotelmany choices
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Warm, personal culture although still very Japanese. Everything works pefectly!

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank Richard B
Reviewed August 25, 2011

For the third time I am staying in this hotel. During last two stays I was so impressed with the hotel and its services. Rooms are well apointed with all ameneties. The best thing is it is very near to Hamamatsu station. For Indians there is an Indian restaurant in the basement floor of this hotel called "Kumars". Otherwise the hotel has its own restaurants serving all kinds of food.

Room Tip: Ask for the room facing the station
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank epsreekumar
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Peacefully and centrally located hotel with friendly staff and good conference facilities.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2011

We had a one nights stay at this hotel on the 40th floor with a view out over the town to the sea. The hotel room was comfortable, certainly not spacious, and we found the queen bed low and hard. There was not enough room space to open up two suitcases unless one was blocking the entrance door.

The Okura name comes at a price, and it missed some of the touches that we feel should be part of a 5 star property. Whist offering good quality toiletries, one small bar of soap and only 2 large and one small towel semed inadequate for a room known to be expecting two guests.

The ACT building and the hotel offered a plethora of restaurants, we found 3 Japanese and 2 Chinese, plus 2 Italian. Most were on the 30th floor and above and the price tag on the set menus reflected the height as is often the case.

We ate on the second floor at the Figaro restaurant with a buffet that was international and well presented and stocked and also of high quality. We drank a house red wine from France that bore the Okura name, and can confirm it was very good, again as one would expect of anything branded Okura. Breakfast was in the same room and also very good both in selection and quality.

A LAN connection was provided in the room with free unlimited use.

it is disappointing that the TV had very few free channels available and only CNN in English.

There is no direct connection to the hotel from the JR Shinkansen station and with luggage it is a relatively long walk over an uneven path that even wheels on cases does not ease as much as would be comfortable. Not the hotel's fault of course but important for arriving guests with luggage. Our advice take a taxi for the very short ride and hope the cab driver doesn't object.

Staff were very helpful and polite, but English was not a strong point with most. That said however our stay was in no way affected in that respect.

An experience we overall enjoyed.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I actually live in Hamamatsu, and my husband and I treated ourselves to a night at the hotel. It really is considered the icon of the city, and we decided to finally try it out, despite the cost.

So, how did it measure up? Well...to be perfectly honest, I usually stay in the Toyoko Inn when I travel in Japan, and I've found that there, and indeed in most hotels in Japan, the service was friendly, the rooms were clean and the nearby restaurants were fantastic. In this, the Okura Hotel did not really exceed expectations. In fact, and it's only a small criticism but still, the movie selection was lacking a bit, in my view.

What really makes Okura special is the fantastic view. I spent nearly the entire day and night curled up on a chair , staring out the window. The night bar has a good view as well, as do quite a few of the restaurants.

So, overall, would I stay there again? I'd stay a night for the view, but I'd recommend cheaper options for the following nights.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple