“crap shoot”

Cross street: E. Main St & Auburn Way S
Auburn, Washington
“crap shoot”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

the staff changes so much you never know what you are going to get.

1 Thank leesbluenose

Lakewood, Washington
“Great food, horrible service from owner”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We visited Auguri to try it out before booking a large function (40 people). I called ahead to discuss options, then introduced myself when we arrived. The owner (Jack) was gruff, unkept and obviously not interested in our patronage. The back of the restaurant where our function would be held needed fresh paint and repairs to the curtains and ceiling tiles (not show stoppers, but not a good sign of a well-run establishment).

We ordered off the drinks menu, only to be told they didn't have anything we wanted. When we asked which specific menu items he would serve for our function so we could try them, he just brushed us off. It was 7 pm Friday. Instead he rattled off a couple daily specials (which were priced higher than the menu) so we tried those. We ended up spending about $26 per person for a single course dinner, rather than the $15-18 on the menu.

In fairness, the food was terrific and portions were generous. There was a small but decent crowd of regulars for a Friday night. Jack treated everyone the same as us. Despite how good the food was, I'd never take a client or my family there. He spoiled the experience for all of us. We will take our business somewhere else where our patronage is welcomed, even if the food isn't as good.

• Visited July 2011
2 Thank CJ_Referee
SkiDiners
“Ristorante Auguri -Auburn, WA”
Reviewed January 6, 2010

My husband and I absolutely LOVE Ristorante Auguri. It's a breath of fresh air from the average restaurant experience. We love it so much that it's our, go to place, for special occasions. The restaurant itself is very clean and definitely has a laidback atmosphere, as if it's a family ran restaurant, which is one of the major things we love about it.
The food is amazing, with my husband being Italian, we're very critical of Italian restaurants, but it blows everyone else out of the water.

I've read on other sites that others think the owner is nonprofessional, and frankly kind of rude. BUT, my husband and I have had several encounters w/him and he's very personable, definitely has a no nonsense attitude, but we can appreciate that, especially when the business is your pride and joy.

We'd highly recommend Ristorante Auguri to anyone and everyone who can appreciate mouth watering, italian food. The dessert is even yummy!

2 Thank SkiDiners
Auburn, WA
“Never go to this place !the owner is a jerk!”
Reviewed November 1, 2008

Dear Editor:

I am in disbelief by the behavior demonstrated by the owner of Auguri Restaurant in Auburn tonight! I cannot believe that he is still in business with his appalling behavior seen tonight by the customers in his restaurant.
My husband and I rarely get time to go out to dinner. It is so rare, that we have a gift certificate for the Auguri Restaurant that expired in December of 2006. My husband called the restaurant to see if they take expired certificates, since the owner had already made the $100 two years ago. The owner Jack replied, “I will make you a deal. I will give you $30 worth.” My husband said thank you and made a reservation for tonight.
Mind you that we still would have gone to the restaurant without the certificate, because we had never been there and wanted to try it out. We know that the owner had every right to refuse the gift certificate, but he didn’t.
We were excited to have a quiet night out, and that certainly didn’t happen. We arrived at the restaurant, and we were the only ones there. We were seated, and we ordered appetizers, salad, drinks, and the entrée. While we were eating the meal, we suddenly heard this very loud voice from the bar, stating, “If these people think they can come into this restaurant with a certificate that is two years expired, and order $30 of food, they will have another thing coming. Who do they think they are?”
There was now another young couple seated next to us, who heard every word that he said. My husband and I realized immediately that he was talking about us! We are not cheapskates, and we were trying to figure out whether he knew we were in the restaurant, or if he was just complaining!
After listening to him complain for about two more minutes about the cheap people we are, I had to do something. I am usually a person who doesn’t want to cause attention to myself, but he had gone WAY too far. I stood up with the gift certificate in my hand, and walked over to him in the bar. I said, “Here is the gift certificate, we will not use it tonight. I also mentioned that there were about ten fruit flies buzzing around our table as well.” He replied, “Oh, that is you? “ And then he walked away.
No apology, nothing. I could not believe that after he offered us the $30 on the phone, he made such a huge stink in front of customers. It doesn’t even matter that we happened to be in the restaurant at that time. He should NEVER talk about any customers like that! They are the people who pay his bills.
The waitress apologized profusely. I asked if maybe it was someone else on the phone who had offered us the $30 and that it had infuriated him. She replied that no, it was he who my husband had talked to. My husband asked if we could talk to the owner, but of course she said that he (Jack) was the owner. I asked the waitress, “Have we spent enough money to make him happy?” She replied that we had already spent $68 even before we had ordered dessert. I guess we are cheapskates.
I was so taken aback that he had made assumptions about my husband and I, who are upstanding people in the Auburn community. I felt that I could not allow one more person sit through an expensive and not so great meal while listening to a loud and obnoxious person spread lies about his customers. He knew nothing about us, he just assumed the worst. I will never go back to that restaurant again, and I urge you not to spend your hard-earned money at a place that will treat you poorly. I hope you never have to feel the humiliation that we felt tonight.

5 Thank Wornoutwoman
Seattle Wa
“Pizza in Auburn”
Reviewed September 14, 2008

My family and I were coming off a day trip at Mt.Rainer ...
It was about 8:30pm on Saturday night... Not a lot of people were there it was late and I think they were cleaning up..
It was out first time there, we were sitted and waited on.
We notice the wine list and the some items were a little much..
So we got a pizza and drinks.. IT WAS GREAT, the staff were great the owner spoke with us and answered any questions.When we are in that part of the area we will go back there. It was clean, friendly, busy,at the end of the shift but we were treated well and the PIZZA was the homemade and just perfect.. Stopping by there was a ending to a perfect day!

3 Thank tlhw4rww