“Crab”
Review of Spice Bay Buffet

Spice Bay Buffet
Ranked #108 of 159 Restaurants in Auburn
Cuisines: American, Asian, Seafood
Description: Spice Bay Buffet offers six international live-action cooking stations featuring all of your favorite foods. We offer the region's biggest salad bar, a carvery, and a wide selection of beers and wines.
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We love to go here for Lunch on the weekends, the crab and some of the best mini milkshakes. The smoked brisket is quite good and they have a mongolian grill set up also

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Make sure you go when the Dungeness crab season is going on...don't go in late Spring or Summer when the crab are molting, the crab quality is pretty bad if it's local caught and if it's from Oregon or Alaska, it's hit or miss because of the transport. The crab gets better towards September and last through early Spring when the crab meat is firm and juicy. We don't bother during the summer months, and we never touch the Alaskan snow crab, half the time it's still frozen and tasteless compared to Dungeness crab.

The prime rib is hit or miss...sometimes it's tender, other times you'll try sawing through it and mindful not to choke it down. Overall, we've eaten at the Buffet about 15 times and rarely is the prime rib seasoned. The smoked brisket is generally pretty good, at least the two inches below the fat cap, the rest is overly dry and inedible.

Dessert is decent and the fried chicken and fried bread pretty good.

Soup's are generally pretty good, but I stay away from salad bars that are exposed. The lettuce looks like the Olive Garden stuff, packaged and I got so sick there once I never made it off the toilet for 12 hours straight.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have to admit ... I am an EATER! And when I go to casino buffets I usually shy away from the crab since I am a seafood lover and most places really don't do a good job. This most recent visit was a serious change of pace!

The dungeness crab was PERFECT! They had a choice of hot or cold and both were nicely seasoned but not so much as to overpower the sweetness of the crab itself. The snow crab was pretty typical of just about anywhere you find it ... tasty and tender. The rock crab was a BIG disappointment, though. It was dry, tough and grainy.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find rare available on the prime rib. Of course there were people there that asked the carving station attendant to flop it on the grill and ruin it but to each his own!

The Asian table was good to very good as there was a good selection of tasty dishes ... although not true Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese or whatever type of food it was modeled after.

The dessert bar was decadent and filled with lots of goodies. I am a Southern bread pudding addict and usually only find a poor imitation at most places. But this time it was just right and their butter rum sauce was off the charts!

Overall, very good night. Was it worth the $25 price ... usually no. But, at least tonight, YES!

1  Thank Olfar
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I go with friends and family that love crab, if you go on a weekend the cost is not bad for how much sea food you can feast on. I have tried almost everything and it is good. I gave it an average because it is a buffet, but up there with some of the best i've had.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I have been dreaming about going back ever since I moved out of Washington a few years ago. Despite the King crab legs is taken out of the menu..the Alaskan crab legs and dungeness crab still there to fill up your hungry stomach. The prime rib is juicy and tender. There is also an Asian food as well as American, Italian. My party were satisfied with the food and service. Overall, it was worth it.