“Yipes!!!!!”

Morris's Shadow Mountain Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: Great place to take the family for party, trail ride, riding lessons. Wonderful horses relaxing and close to surrounding major cites.
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I hate to complain about a business, but my gosh this place is scary!!! I had never been there before and I saw a today deal on groupon for the petting zoo area of the stables. I thought that this sounded like a fun place to take my two and a half year old. When we got there, I couldn't even get out of my car without big ants swarming my feet and biting me. Then I did not even know where to go when I got there. I went through a gate and waited a while until a staff member showed up. I asked her where I should pay for my ticket since I had purchased a groupon vocher already for my son. She asked me for the voucher and told me to wait there. She took the voucher and went away for a while. Then a little girl came and asked me to give her money and sign a liability release. The staff member that I gave my groupon voucher to made the little girl ask me to pay for both my son and I even though the girl was only charging me for my fare initially. I paid the girl anyhow and did not dispute the fact that I shouldn't have had to double pay for my two year old as I had already paid for the groupon... Then the staff member took us in into the main petting zoo field and showed us around the place. then we were free to be on our own. I took my son back into the gate to the main petting zoo field and immediately I am swarmed by an angry sheep named Stuart and a pushy pig. The rest of the animals seemed fine. The sheep was mad at me for not petting it enough I guess so it began to ram me very hard from a full on run. I screamed, and it backed way up and rammed me again! It felt like a car hit me and I have bruises now. I was in fear for my young son so I grabbed him and carried him across the field to safety. The owner came out and apologized and said that stuart might have to be evicted from the petting zoo soon since he was aggressive. She blamed it on too many people petting its head. I told her I had to get my son out of there before he got hurt. If that sheep hit him he would have had serious injuries I am certain! It is a large sheep and very dense. So I took my son out to see the bunnies ( they were safe ). Eventually when Stuart was busy eating hay that the owner brought I took my son just past the gate to the field so we could get out quick if needed. I got my son and I in the fence ( just barely ) and a bully pig tried to push past me to get out of the fence. I tried to keep it in the fenced area while shooing my son out to safety once again and the damn pig got pissy and bit my leg! We left the farm since I feared for my son's safety there. Who has a petting zoo with evil animals anyway. The other issue I have with the farm is there is no sink with soap and water to wash properly. There were two randomly placed purel dispensers though. So, now my son is freaked out of pigs and sheep thanks to Morris's shadow stables petting zoo. And I am all bruised up from the damn sheep! We will definitely not be back.

10  Thank Shelly S

Reviewed April 26, 2012

We had purchased a group on for a trail ride. Being an experienced rider, I was looking to introduce my boyfriend to riding. We arrived and had the "search" for the entrance to yard that apparently held the barn. When we entered horses were having shoes put on and stood there for a few minutes before being acknowledged. We introduced ourselves and found the owner to be a little rough around the edges, she couldn't remember that we had a reservation or who we were. That being said, the surrounds were dangerous for horse, human and all other creatures. It was like trash had been pushed to one side in hopes no one would notice. The horses were thin and kind of sad looking. Being an experienced rider (I used to own a horse) I was keenly aware that trail horses have are built a little different- but these guys were THIN. The ride itself was a disappointment. We walked about 200ft on a busy road, mounted the horses off of rocks and proceeded through some urban trails onto urban roads and then to a housing development that had stopped building. If I would have paid full price for this I would have been ticked! Don't waste your money here, this woman thinks she knows what she is doing, but the condition of all her animals is deplorable.

17  Thank Disappointed556
Reviewed October 2, 2011

The farm has nothing just a few rabbits and for $12, you even don’t get pony ride or animal feeding.
We were there today and the business owner let us wait for 20 minutes because she is busy with horse riding customers and then nothing happened.
We just left, this is ridiculous, even they pay me $12, I wouldn’t have my family go there, it’s completely waste of time(we drove 40 miles to simply see some rabbits)

12  Thank benlucanada
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Having read reviews here and on another rating site, I was prepared for a tumbledown facility, filthy, ill-kempt horses and a careless owner.

What I found was an unusually clean working farm, healthy animals (horses, chickens, ducks, geese, goats, etc.) a friendly dog and cat, tack in good condition and horses that were as suitable for beginners as can be outside of a pony-ring (where the riders have no control at all and the ponies have no choice but to shuffle along at a walk). It is a *working farm*, not a petting zoo or pet store. It is not spotless, it is not antiseptic.

Bonnie and her staff made sure everyone was on a suitable horse. When she saw that two children who had come along were on such excitement overload that they couldn't safely ride on their own, she changed plans and she and her assistant walked alongside leading those horses so the kids could still ride. The kids had a great time and were all smiles at the end of the ride. The younger of the two was behind me, and I heard her chattering and laughing throughout the ride.

We had one moment of excitement when one of the horses spooked a bit, but that's all it was: a moment. It happens. It won't happen everytime, but can happen anytime. An outfitter who tells you his horses never spook is lying.

We rode out from the arena, along roads, woods and sidewalks, then back into the arena. No one (aside from Bonnie and her assistant who were both on foot) had to dismount and walk at any point. I would guess that from departure to return we were out for about an hour and 20 minutes. We were passed by cars when we had to travel on or next to roads, but the horses are clearly very used to that and showed no signs of distress or fear over the cars passing by.

3  Thank Dayngerous
Reviewed August 8, 2011

The "trail ride" includes riding quite a ways on paved streets where a bunch of new houses are being built. You first lead your horses on a busy street to a place where you can mount; at the end of the ride, you dismount & lead them back to the stable. Cars are whizzing by & it's dangerous. You ride for awhile thru' trees & on real trails, but then you come out into this area where you ride on the streets, in a neighborhood complex, with kids on bicycles & pedestrians. On the ride I took with my friends, two people fell off; fortunately, not on the pavement, but it could have been bad. One horse jumped a ditch & my friend fell off. The other horse spooked & the rider fell off. Riding on pavement for block after block is just not safe at all. They encourage beginners to come & ride but the riding conditions & the horses are not good for beginners. I certainly will never go back. It's a wonder she hasn't been sued before now. You sign a waiver before you ride, but you do this assuming that you'll be riding in a safe environment.

10  Thank Dakini08