“Overall a good place to stay.”

GuestHouse Inn Auburn
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Auburn
Vancouver, Canada
“Overall a good place to stay.”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We had occasion to stay in this hotel on Saturday Dec 1st. The girl that checked us in was worth mentioning. She was so helpful and cheerful that it made us feel good just entering the lobby. As others have said, it was generally a good experience only dampened by a couple of things. The room cooled off in the early morning hours and the one blanket on the bed was insufficient to keep us warm. There were no extra blankets in the room. I tried turning on on the heat and found that it didn't work.so at about 12:30am I went down to the desk and night clerk immediately got us another blanket.
One thing we noted when we entered the room was a distinctly tobacco smell. It was a non smoking room. it was not overpowering but there just the same. but also there was a distinct sewer smell coming from the bathroom. In the am it became very strong and unpleasant. When we checked out, I mentioned it to the girl at the counter and she appeared to be totally disinterested.
All in all this was a very pleasant place to stay, very clean and the morning breakfast was great. The stay was only marred by the sewer smell incident and the feeling that the clerk really wasn't going to do anything about it.
I would definitely stay again.Dollar for dollar it is about as good as it gets for what you pay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brian D
Jennifer C, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn Auburn, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you, Brian D, for your feedback! I appreciate your acknowledgement of your check-in Front Desk Agent. We do our best to be on top of our game in the customer service department and I'm happy she hit the mark. As for the chilliness of your room, we now have a least one extra blanket in the dresser drawer of each guestroom. Excellent observation! You will also be happy to know that after much labor, we are proud to call ourselves 100% non-smoking. We are in the middle of a 18-room conversion which includes all new carpet, wall coverings, paint, drapes and pillow-top beds! We are very excited about this change. As for the sewer smell, I am terribly sorry and I am unsure of the source as I haven't heard this before, but I will have my maintenance engineer look into it's cause. I'm sorry that your check-out clerk was not as engaged as she should have been, I like to think that is very atypical of our property. Happy New Year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Lancaster, California
Reviewed November 24, 2012

This was a nice place to stay. Wonderful bed, non smoking hotel that did not smell like smoke. Very nice breakfast with wonderful waffles, strawberries and whipped cream. Easy to park, friendly staff. Spotless breakfast room. Older furniture and TV in our room, but for 80 bucks including room, tax and breakfast, it rocked !!

Room Tip: Room 202 on the end was bigger than the other rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
dorthtoto, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn Auburn, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Greetings, Denelle K! Thanks so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are proud of our staff and the fact that guests like you appreciate all the hard work we put into making your stay memorable. Happy Holidays!
kent, wa
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We got a room on the 3rd floor with a king bed. The room was large. There was a table with 2 chairs, a desk with a chair, a good-sized mini-fridge and microwave. Coffee pot, iron, ironing board, hairdryer all included. The bed was great, the coffee not bad. The room was very, very clean.
They have breakfast in the morning from 5 to 10. Waffles with syrup, peanut butter, or strawberries and whipped cream. Several juices, coffee, milk, hot chocolate, bagels, yogurt, muffins, sausage egg and cheese muffin sandwiches, biscuits and gravy. No fresh fruit, though. There are apples up by the desk in the lobby.
They have a spa, vending machines, free wifi and free local calls. Good location, close to freeways and there are many resturants nearby. Service was friendly, especially the lady in the breakfast room. She remembered my son's name the second day.
The only cons: the outlets in the room are loose, so the microwave and fridge would turn off. And my room was a non-smoking room, but to get to it I had to walk through a hall of smoking rooms, and the hall smelled like a dirty ashtray. They were remodeling some of those rooms, so that may have been why.
The best feature to me was the cleanliness.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank alreadyinuse
dorthtoto, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn Auburn, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Hello, alreadyinuse. We take pride in our hotel and it's amenities and I'm glad you were able to take advantage of a few of them, as well. It's always nice to see that people enjoyed themselves while visiting our humble town. We appreciate your business and your very kind words!
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My wife and I had a quick one night stay on August 19.

As we approached the hotel, we were a bit concerned that passing trains would affect our sleep, which I'm happy to report was never an issue. As the manager was booking us (I think her name was Chris, according to the signs behind her), I asked her for a room that would minimize train noice. She booked us in room 316 (or was it 319), which was in the middle of the building, on the North side. Our room shared a wall with the elevator shaft and was just across the hall from the ice machine (which was humming away in the hallway) but once we shut our door, we were never bothered by noise of any kind.

The manager was also very enthusiastic about recommending a spot for dinner (although we got lazy and opted for Panda Express takeout instead).

The room was clean, had plenty of space, and served all of our needs. When we got there, the WiFi was out (but I think it worked in the lobby) and the manager assured us that she was working on it (perhaps there isn't much one can do on a sunday night). By the time we woke up the WiFi was back in order on Monday morning.

The breakfast is as good as you could ever hope for, with a spread that leaves you full before you have a chance to try it all. Highlights include a do it yourself waffle bar (with peanut butter and strawberries), busquits and gravy, and a wide variety of bagels.

I recommend this spot.

Room Tip: We stayed on the North side of the hotel (our window faced parallel to the train tracks), in the cen...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
dorthtoto, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn Auburn, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you, WBH007! You are much too kind! On behalf of my staff and myself, we appreciate every kind word. Your graciousness just reminds us why we do what we do, day in and day out. To please guests just like you! Happy Autumn!
Bremerton, WA
Reviewed August 20, 2012

If, you need a place to stay overnight to go to a concert at White River or go to the horse races and Emerald Downs, this is the place to stay. It's right down the road from Emerald Downs and only 8-9 miles from White River Amphitheater. The property and rooms were very clean and the staff are very friendly. The rooms all come with microwave, mini-fridge, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and a built in hair dryer. They have a continental breakfast in the morning in the coffee room and there are restaurants nearby such as Las Margaritas, Applebees and a couple more plus an Albertsons if you want to stock up on snacks in your room. I would stay here again and would recommend this hotel to my friends for future stays.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
dorthtoto, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn Auburn, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Hello, stayceq! I really appreciate you taking time to comment on your recent stay at our property! We are pretty proud of our rooms and our entire staff. I am so thrilled that you were satisfied and plan on returning on your next trip to our fair town. Enjoy the rest of the summer and Happy Travels!
Long
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Below is a letter I sent to Guesthouse Inns regarding this hotel, and how they ruined a very special night.

To whom it may concern,

On 8-03-2012, I made a reservation for my mother using Hotels.com for your hotel. It was for a double queen room on the night of 8-18-2012. Total bill paid in full was 143.43.

We received our confirmation, and it was paid in full, so no more thought was given to this. I am attaching a copy of this below.

On the 18th, my mother arrived at the hotel a little after 3:00 to check in. She was told by an employee that she had no reservation, that their hotel didn't work with hotels.com, and clearly they shouldn't have been 'so stupid' as to to book through hotels.com. The employee said there was nothing she could do, they were booked, and they had nowhere to stay. When shown the email (I always print out the emails in case there are any questions) she said she had no idea but they had no room, and she wouldn't find one. She told them, that there were always issues with hotels.com, what did they expect, that unless you called the hotel you did NOT have a reservation.

Of course we immediately called hotels.com, who confirmed over the phone to the Auburn Guesthouse, that YES, there was a reservation. Auburn Guesthouse insisted they fax the information, and said to wait in the lobby. Which my mom did for over an hour. While the clock was ticking down to her 51st reunion, her best friend who she hadn't seen for over a year arrived (she was also to be staying in the room) and while the lobby filled with other guests. After an hour had passed, she called and informed me of the situation, and I called several other hotels, finding a Comfort Inn that had a room available 20 minutes away. They finally left, 90 minutes after arriving at the hotel, with less than an hour to go to the time of the reunion. The entire time they were there, no contact, apology, or any move to help them out of the situation they had been put into by no fault of their own.

I then called Hotels.com, who called the Auburn Guesthouse, while I was on hold. 10 minutes later, Hotels.com informed me, that there had been a huge mixup by the hotel, they did have a reservation there, and the room just hadn't been ready. That if they went back to the desk they'd be checked in. I declined, explaining that they were now late to the reunion, on their way to a neighboring town, and had no intention of staying at the Auburn Guesthouse after the treatment, and lack of caring. Hotels.com cancelled the reservation.

However, as someone who has worked in guest services and management for years, I wanted to let you know. Because, by coming so close to ruining a carefully planned out night, by showing such a lack of care and customer first attitude, and by clearly not following protocol, this employee has cost you what could have been a regular guest. This email is also being forwarded to hotels.com, In addition, I will be telling others about our experience and posting reviews. Auburn happens to be my hometown, and somewhere I am proud of. It concerns me that a business could show such a lack of care. There are plenty of other hotels in Auburn, which will in the future be receiving our business.

Room Tip: I'd recommend the Comfort Inn in Federal Way, for outstanding customer service.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
dorthtoto, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn Auburn, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Hello, oceansiderose. I was very disappointed to see that you had a bad experience at our hotel. First and foremost, guests are our BIGGEST priority. We train our Front Desk Agents in courteous customer service and we have a fantastic crew of veteran Agents that I am proud of. If this effort was not evident in your experience, I apologize. I have spoken with the Front Desk Agent in charge of your reservation and unfortunately, it was a simple case of a lost prepaid reservation form. As you know, it was a very busy time at the front desk and apparently your reservation was inadvertantly attached to another. By the time the Agent found it, you had already gone and obviously it was very inconvenient for you to return. For that, I am so sorry. I understand your apprehension about staying with us in the future but I certainly would have liked to have spoken with your personally about this matter. Thank you.

Travelers are raving about these Auburn hotels

Auburn, Washington
Reviewed August 17, 2012

This last July I went looking for a place that could hold a family of six. After looking on line for awhile I decided to do some foot work. I checked out several hotels in and around Auburn and finally found myself at The Guesthouse Inn. I told the front desk my problem and they were kind enough to let me take a look at the room they have with three queen size beds! This is not a suite, but one room with two beds and then another room with one bed. I hope I am not letting anything out of the bag but if you have a big family this room is great! My large family company were so pleased that they booked the room again in August. They loved the great breakfast and when I came to pick girls for a day out they were still happily munching away. My compliments to the management!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hello, ToniB119! Thanks so much for the high marks! Yes, we are one of the few hotels in the area that can accommodate so many people in one room. Our 3 bedroom "family suite" is a big seller! As you know, it's very convenient to be able to shut the door and have some privacy in the same room and still be with family. We love this feature and we're glad you do, as well. I hope you were able to enjoy some of the local events during your stay. Once again, THANK YOU and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auburn
La Quinta Inn & Suites Auburn
Best Western Plus Mountain View Auburn Inn
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#5 of 7 in Auburn
Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle/Federal Way
Best Western Plus Seattle/Federal Way
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sumner

Been to GuestHouse Inn Auburn? Share your experiences!