“Rocket Alley Arlington”

Rocket Alley Bar & Grill
Ranked #16 of 87 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: American
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Just a shout out to our waitress for a fantastic job tonight. We needed to be in and out to make a game and she came through in speed as well as service (too bad she wasn't on our football team :(
I'm not sure how the management can stay in business because of the many CHEAP selections yet high quality dishes they offered. I was amazed to find not one, not two but FOUR specials on the board INCLUDING a $4 burger basket - yes, including the fries, cheese and on a toasted bun. Hubby said it was delish and rated it an 8 or 9 out of 10. The side salad was $2 for small and $3 for large (waitress said it was really big but wow for $3?). Then I had the clamstrips - I don't see them too much on menus so was pleasantly surprised - but even more so when I received them! Large tender chunks of meat with a lighter batter and great flavor. I expected - in fact the hubby and I even said "I'm sure they'll be the usual battered frozen and fried clams that come out too crispy & chewy" before ordering them. I was pleasantly surprised and it was difficult to save the last 3 for him - but hey, he didn't exactly insist I have MY half of the burger. Haha. Anyhow, this restaurant was a nice discovery and if in town again I would drag my teens to it and even bowl! Oh in fact my husband said it would be cool to rent the joint for a company Christmas party. Full bar and 5 beers on tap. I wonder....

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We eat here on a regular basis and have never been disappointed with the food or the price. The staff is friendly and the service is very good. Overall one of our two favorite places in town, one for special occasions and the Rocket Alley Bar & Grill for just good food.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Never been to Arlington before. Old historic downtown was really nice. Clean and well taken care of. We were in town for a MMA fight. The restaurant is an integral part of the small bowling alley. This was not my choice for evening chow. I envisioned rubber pizza, over heated dogs and nachos... NOT. I was pleasantly surprised.

The restaurant had a decent menu selection. I had a large Aviator pizza (sausage, bell peppers, jalapeno, pineapple. It took a while to get it. Funky combo but very tasty. Crust was medium thick and not too chewy. Slightly thick on the sauce. Others had a creative chicken burger that was very good. The large plate of chicken wings looked good and the 16 yr. old said they were tasty (teen + meat = tasty). Full bar. Margaritas were ho-hum but were full strength.

Service was fast and friendly. Outside seating available with sunbrellas. I would come back. Owner came out to out group of 10 and asked how everything was and thanked us for visiting.

1  Thank darkswede218
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Family and friends went in for a couple of beers, burgers and pizza. there's not a lot of room. It's an old bowling alley and you can still bowl but you have to keep score. There.s only room for 40 people in the whole place so grab a table in the bar or slide up to the bar and have a good time.

1  Thank Mike M
Reviewed December 9, 2012

As a write this,the Rocket is the only place in downtown Arlington where you can get a decent burger AND a beer. You can get a burger at plenty of places. You can get a beer at others. But if you want both, Rocket is the only one. And it will be a damn good burger.

All the food here is good. I've tried a few things and I can honestly say everything I've had has been delicious, filling and a great value. My overall favorite is the Chili bowl (just what you need on a cold day). Runners up are the pizza and the wings. The sandwiches are huge and the burgers are as good as any around (i like the chili burger). They have recurring daily specials which are a screamin' deal ($1 taco mondays; $5 monster taco thursday; burger baskets, etc.);
Every once in a while they'll make these amazing 'one-off' specials like pasta, seafood or a prime-rib dish. And many of the items seem scratch-made. They even serve a decent breakfast on Sunday mornings.

If you are concerned that "bar" and "Arlington" equals a dive atmosphere, don't be. The place is clean, well kept and with a tasteful, updated decor. The small bowling alley I suppose dictates a certain behavior, but I don't think it matters. The clientele are all friendly locals, and owner and staff attitudes and personalities just seem to naturally make for friendly, laid back atmosphere.

The place is small, and only occasionally over crowded. There is a small dining area that is perfect for families, and when the weather is right, the outdoor area -- while nothing fancy -- is comfortable with nice patio tables with bistro umbrellas and even a few potted plants.

For distractions, there are TV's in the bar and in the dining room; a jukebox; and of course bowling, Plus the bartenders and wait staff are all cute. ;-) Okay, okay, that's important to me.

As for the "cons", I can't think of many: Personally, I'm not a fan of the burger sauce, so I ask for it without. The place is small. Not a lot of seating on certain nights if it gets crowded, but that's okay. Because it's so small, there aren't many beers on tap (I think there are three or four), but they have a variety.Inside gets hot in the summer, but that's not a huge problem.
If these sound like nits, they are...seriously, but that speaks to just how much I like the place.

Bottom line, The Rocket is the total package: an unpretentious, clean and relaxing place, with GREAT food and friendly people who make it a fun place to watch a game or unwind after work.

2  Thank BigJimH