Blue Bird Cafe
Ranked #9 of 87 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: American
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Recently in Arlington on a news assignment and had to get breakfast for the crew. Ventured into the Blue Bird in downtown and got food to go. Service was quick and friendly. The food was fresh and flavorful. We ended doing it the next morning, too. Why stop a good thing.
Looks like the kind of place where locals go and everyone is welcomed. No pretense. Just good food.

2  Thank jay r

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Our favorite place for breakfast we go there at least once a week. Everyone treats you with respect and makes sure you are pleased with your meal. There Bisquits and Gravy are superb as is there Blue Berry pancakes. If you happen to go in the afternoon the BLT is great and they always have the best soup.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Have eaten here several times with my kids. Always good for breakfast and lunch! Friendly staff and attentive for soda and coffee refills. I am always happy that I went and am happy when family owned businesses are successful. They have some creative menu items and are friendly and welcoming to the local youth who stop in.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Food was unseasoned and not terribly well-prepared. The flour coating on my veal cutlets was a combo of burned and raw. Again, no seasoning. Veggies and fries were from frozen. We found out quite by accident their desserts are not always fresh. When asked why I didn't care for the food and I mentioned the lack of flavor she told me "well, that's the way the locals like it". So if you are not a local and want well-prepared food I am thinking you won't like it either.

1  Thank Sandra D
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Our first time to the BlueBird and we weren't disappointed. We arrived about 10:30 am on a Saturday and the place was full-it is seat yourself, so. we found the only empty booth and were greeted w/in a minute or two of seating. A hostess brought us water and menus and asked if we had any other beverage requests...of course, coffee was in order. We requested cream and the hostess pointed out the cream pitcher near the back of the booth. Our waitress arrived minutes later to take our orders and bring coffee and we had to request cream again, as the pitcher was nearly empty. Our food arrived w/in 15 minutes of ordering, not bad, given the place was packed. I ordered the veggie omelet, which came w/ hashbrowns and a side choice of bread, biscuit or muffin. I chose the blueberry muffin. My husband ordered ham and eggs over easy, which came w/ hashbrowns and toast. Servings were generous, not huge and we both loved the creaminess of the hashbrowns, with a complete golden crust...as if they shred partially baked spuds...and use butter to fry them...very tasty. The ham steak was thick and of very good quality. The omelet was full of crisp peppers, fresh mushroom, onion, tomato and black olive. Also very tasty. My only complaints would be that the blueberry muffin completely fell apart. I had to simply lay the butter on each half and ate it w/ a fork, it could not be picked up...that said, it was delicious. And we had to request additional coffee. In my opinion, a diner's charm is always enhanced by waitresses and staff who never have to be asked for a refill. They should have a pot in hand and ask you every time they pass tables. That is why I only gave the review 3 stars. We will come back to try their lunch fare the next time we're in the area, but this is an excellent breakfast stop and I would definitely recommend giving it a try.