We rented the WHOLE INN! for three nights. It was wonderful!
Every two years, our small family of now 15 (10 adults, 4 youth, 1 toddler) have a family reunion for 3-4 days. One of the things we have discovered is:
1) We need a place where we can all be together. Separate accomodations even in the same hotel just doesn't give us enough face time. The large living room on the main floor and dining areas at the Inn provided exactly the right environment for our family to talk, play games, listen to music, and watch a sappy old movie together on the large Flat Screen TV.
2) We need lots of bathrooms. Indeed the Inn accomadated that in style with 3 extra bathrooms outside the 8 in the rooms.
3) We need comfortable beds that are large enough for our very tall grown sons. At the Inn, we found large rooms with King beds that allowed plenty of room for them.
4) We need to limit the climbing of stairs for us old people. Personally, an added plus at the Inn was that our bedroom was on the main floor. No stairs to climb.
5) Preparing Dinner the first night is always a hassle to avoid because we are tired from the trip to get where we are going. We chose to have our first meal together catered by Matt using his catering service that works out of the basement of the Inn. The meal was wonderful. The beef ribs with his award-winning sauce were marvelous. The portions were so large that we had plenty left over for lunch the next day. Matt turned on the Gazebo's Lights and we ate outside in the Garden. It was wonderful! We had Cheesecake and Fresh Strawberry shortcake that was out of this world good. I know. I overstuffed. Incidentally, the Gazebo proved to be a great spot for the required family photos.
6) We need to eat every meal as a family. We fixed all our own breakfasts for the rest of the stay. We were delighted that in addition to the Kitchen mentioned as being in the third floor suite (which is huge!); there is a separate kitchen on the main floor that has pots, pans, dishes, utensils, gas range and oven, microwave, dishwasher, and refrigerator and freezer. Since, we had the whole Inn, we used it well; just like at home. We bought groceries at the nearby Safeway and The Market. Kite String was found at Ace Hardware. (Thanks Matt)
7) Another requirement we have is that we be close to available recreation activities without a lot of time getting there. We found that the San Juan Ferry being close worked well for our family and even provided walk-on discounts where we had 10 people traveling at once. We also spent time at nearby Deception Pass and flew Kites at Camp Casey on Whidby Island and got back in plenty of time to enjoy the evening. Some of us went Fishing for Salmon off American Camp in the San Juans and caught not only Salmon but got to watch a pod of itenerant Orca Whales as well.
8)We always need to allow some of the Family to return to work early. That has been a hassle in the past. But, Anacortes has a Airporter Shuttle that runs every evening to Seattle. That allowed our oldest daughter to be with us for 3 of the 4 days and leave a day early to return to work in Seattle. That was nice. She caught the shuttle at the Shell Station a few blocks from the Inn the last evening we were there.
9) We get tired of cooking for ourselves. Both the fact that Matt can provide breakfast as well as dinner was a consideration. Because of the ecletic appetites of some of the children, we chose to breakfast. Other meals we eat where we are. The last night, we had chowder across the street from the Inn. It was wonderful. And all we had to do was walk across the road; no big car caravan required.
The Inn was exactly what we needed. It was clean, it was spacious, it was centrally located to the activities we wanted to do. Matt was very helpful and generous. We were delighted that we chose this place for our family reunion.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beautiful 1925 Colonial house located in the heart of Anacortes. Included in your stay a full hot breakfast and each room has a private bath and television. Located near the marina and less then 5 miles to the ferry terminal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Nantucket Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.