“Classic Anacortes eatery”

Island Cafe
Ranked #16 of 99 Restaurants in Anacortes
Cuisines: American
Reviewed May 18, 2019

Comments by local residents had discouraged us from coming here for the entire ten years we have been visiting this area. Finally, we decided to give it a try. The menu is extensive, which is a good things, and the prices a little high (but then again, this is Anacortes). Service was attentive. My wife had the salmon special of the day, which was well to her liking. I had their “world famous” fish and chips made with authentic Alaskan cod. Ho hum. Not different from most other fish and chips I have had. I asked for them nice and crispy, which they were, which means also a little over cooked, but that can’t be avoided. My disappointment was with the French fries. This is a new campaign for me as a reviewer. It is not a culinary feat to have nice crispy crunchy French fries. Whenever I have gone places that had fries like that, people loved them. Here, in an effort to make them crispy, they kept them in the fryer longer. They were indeed darker, but still soft and not crispy. To make crispy French fries you must fry them once, in advance perhaps, and then fry them a second time in 375 degree oil. This process is described in many cookbooks (Julia Child, Bobby Flay, others). The outside becomes crunchy while the inside remains tender. Yum. Granted, I shouldn’t even be eating French fires if I care about my health. But if I do, I now how I like them and won’t give five stars to anyplace at which they are just ordinary. The bottom line is, I needn’t have waited ten years. This place has a following for a good reason.

Date of visit: May 2019

Reviewed April 1, 2019

Small cafe expanded into the next room and pretty much what you would expect from a nice hometown type of cafe. The menu said famous fish and chips and they didn't exaggerate, pretty much the best that we have had. This should not be confused with the Island Cafe in Oak Harbor, so far it is a level up from them.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed March 7, 2019

This café is right out of Mayberry. Breakfast all day, charbroiler specials for lunch and dinner of the sort short-order cooks can turn out blind-folded. The day we were there, liver and onions was the dinner special. It's THAT kind of place.

But we were only there for lunch, and we had hamburgers which they do very very well. The patties are fresh-ground on the premesis (you can taste the extra quality), hand-formed and then char-broiled to a fine, dark crust--for me, burger nirvana.

Great service from Meghan, too!

Great coffee, too.

Date of visit: March 2019
1  Thank UnrepentantFoodie
Reviewed February 18, 2019 via mobile

We stopped for lunch on the way to Washington Park. The cafe is clean and tidy but it’s a bit dim and the food was average. Eggs Benedict was a bit bland, adult portion were mixed sizes with some of our group disappointed whilst others very full. Service was friendly and we left content but nothing to be too excited about.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed January 6, 2019

The food was okay. Service was very slow and was the restaurant was not busy at the time we came in. Not sure we'll be back.

Date of visit: January 2019