“A Wonderful Experience!”

Anacortes Kayak Tours
Ranked #1 of 15 Tours in Anacortes
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Anacortes Kayak Tours is a family owned and operated that offers fun and affordable sea kayaking trips in the San Juan Islands of Washington State. Our headquarters are in Anacortes, on Fidalgo Island, and we also offers tours departing from San Juan Island and Orcas Island. A variety of trips including Half Day tours, Full Day excursions, and Multi-Day adventures are available. No prior kayaking experience necessary. Join us!
Reviewed July 3, 2013

A new kayaker, I was a bit nervous about a three day kayaking trip with some of my favorite friends. Luckily, we were in great hands with Anacortes Kayak Tours. While everyone there is professional, friendly, and knowledgable, our guide, Gary G., made our trip the fabulous adventure it was. His fun and easy-going nature combined with his expertise made us all feel welcome, comfortable, and safe. Between the beautiful camp spot, the wildlife viewing, and an amazing guide, I could not have asked for a better experience!

Erik S, Owner at Anacortes Kayak Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

I'm glad that you feel the same way about Gary that we do! He is a terrific guy to be around and we are really enjoying having him on staff again this year.
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback here on the Trip Advisor web site. It feels great to know that we are providing a fun and satisfying experience for our guests, and we hope that we see you out here again some time!

There are newer reviews for Anacortes Kayak Tours

Reviewed June 17, 2013

After looking at a half dozen different companies that offered kayaking trips, we decided on Anacortes Kayak Tours (AKT) and we were extremely happy with our choice. We choose the Cypress Island trip.

Briefly, the company communication was great, the guides were highly trained professionals and were a lot of fun to be with. The food was delicious and tailored to our preferences and dietary needs (in my case, vegetarian). All necessary equipment was provided and was new and of high quality. Our guides were attentive to our every need and making sure we were having a fun, exciting and memorable trip. Now for more specific details…

To start with MEGAN, the owner, was very friendly and helpful over the phone and emails were answered promptly and thoroughly. We had lots of questions and she addressed each one. Definitely an A+ for communication.

We met our guide GARY and were pleasantly surprised to find two new guides WHITNEY and ALEX were also joining us. Both of the girls were 1st year with AKT so were “shadowing” GARY to learn company procedures. Let me emphasize that these guides were NOT some kids just looking for a fun summer job. Each of them was a very experienced kayaker with a wealth of education and diversity (and some great stories that they shared with us along the way). Now I know most people won’t get 3 guides (except for larger groups) but I was really impressed with the skill, training and experience of the guides AKT hires! You will get a guide that is an expert in the tides, weather systems, plants, animals, safety, equipment, first aid and HAVING FUN!

For example, GARY pointed out plants and animals, from soaring eagles to sea stars to playful harbor seals. WHITNEY cooked up some rockweed (a kind of kelp) for us to try that popped like popcorn! ALEX showed us native plants (on Cypress Island, where we stopped) such as mushrooms that were edible (although we didn’t eat any). All of them – GARY, WHITNEY AND ALEX – all seemed to be having fun and were certainly fun to be with. In planning our specific activities and route, they took into consideration our abilities and interests and made suggestions around those things.

The equipment was definitely top notch. The kayaks were new, very comfortable and a good quality. They even included a comfy cushion to sit on in the kayak. All the paddling gear was provided and suited the trip and conditions.

Like I said before, the food was delicious. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies. It was great. Plenty to eat, including snacks along the way.

Lastly, just a few suggestions. Sunscreen and lip stuff with SPF in it is a must. I accidently grabbed a chapstick without SPF in it and my lips got a bit burned. Second, if you have a waterproof camera (bring a strap for it to hang around your neck) there are lots of picture taking opportunities. Like us, you might get a cool shot of an eagle or a harbor seal. But you will definitely see some gorgeous scenery. Our guides were also willing to use our camera to take pictures of us paddling, which was cool.

In summary, you will not be sorry if you book with AKT. They are definitely a great company. We spent 10 days in the Washington area doing all kinds of sightseeing and our kayaking excursion with AKT was definitely the highlight of the trip. That’s all we’ve talked about since getting home! If I lived closer (I live in Florida) I would definitely book with them again soon. But I will keep them in mind for my next trip to the area.

4  Thank TravelingGal600
Erik S, Owner at Anacortes Kayak Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

We are so glad that you had a great time with us Karen!
Gary, Alex, and Whitney are such great people and we are happy to have them as part of our team this summer. I appreciate that you recognized the professionalism of our guide staff. You are correct, we do not hire kids just looking for a fun summer job, we want well rounded leaders with strong skills in kayaks. Anyone taking folks out on the water has a "higher duty of care", and we owe it to our guests to make sure their trips are conducted safely.
I am also glad that you enjoyed the meal plan. Megan works very hard at making every trip a culinary delight, she is the backbone of Anacortes Kayak Tours in so many ways.

Thanks for taking the time to post this review, we hope to see you out here again some day!

Reviewed May 22, 2013

We just came back from a 2 day kayak trip with Anacortes Kayak Tours and had a fantastic experience with these guys. There were four of us on our trip and we went with our guide, Blake, over to James Island State Park where we camped overnight. The following day we explored the nearby waters a bit more and stopped off at Burrows Island to check out the lighthouse with another stop on the neighbouring island for lunch. We've done a few similar trips before with different operators in different locations and two things really stood out for us about AKT: the food and the equipment. The food was both plentiful and delicious. Blake was a great cook and we ate incredibly well full stop, never mind the fact that we were camping! The food was mainly organic with good quality ingredients. We were also very impressed with AKT's equipment. Everything was in really good condition and they used good quality brands, both for the kayaking and the camping gear.

The customer service was also excellent. We spoke to Megan (one of the owners) about our trip prior to booking as well as one of the guides. Both were very helpful and able to provide us with useful information about Anacortes too. Megan was there to greet us before we left for our trip and Blake was an excellent guide. He was very knowledgeable about the islands and surrounding nature but also had lots of interesting tales about his travels and outdoor adventures.

We wouldn't hesitate to recommend AKT and would do another trip with them if we were in the area again.

2  Thank Alex G
Erik S, Owner at Anacortes Kayak Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

Megan and I are both so happy that you enjoyed your experience with us Alex!
Blake is an amazing guide, and we were very excited when he came back to work for us for a fifth season. Thanks for the nice review, hopefully we will see you out on another trip with us someday!
Kind Regards,
Erik

Reviewed October 20, 2012

My husband and I took a 5 hour tour in September 2012. Loved it. We lucked out too as it was a bit late in the season and it ended up just being us and the guide, Blake. He was great. We saw starfish, seals, porpoises and even a ray (although deceased unfortunately). We also got to hike up a bit to see the old lighthouse. It was an easy-going trip that anyone could take part in. I was very nervous ahead of time about the kayak overturning, but once I got in, I felt stable and secure. I would recommend this to anyone visiting. Five Stars!

3  Thank Jackie255VT
Erik S, Owner at Anacortes Kayak Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thanks for the great review Jackie!
I remember Blake being pretty excited about that ray. It's not the sort of fish that we see very often on our tours. My guess is that a sea lion probably caught it and then abandoned it's meal for some reason.
Hopefully we will see you back here again some time, and thanks for choosing us!

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We did a half day trip and thoroughly enjoyed it. We met the owner, Erik, while buying our tickets and had a great conversation with him. Our guide was knowledgeable and went over our instructions before getting us set up in our kayaks. After a short paddle through the marina, we entered the "open water". It was rougher than I would have liked but once we paddled to the shadow of the island it got much calmer. One of the boats had some rudder problems so another guide was dispatched to our group so we ended up with two guides for the leisurely paddle around the island. Overall, just a really nice way to spend an afternoon in the San Juans!

1  Thank elperro
Erik S, Owner at Anacortes Kayak Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

I am so happy that the trip worked out well, especially with the slightly bumpy water and the doggone rudder problem! Sometimes those are the trips that everyone remembers the most though, the less than ideal conditions create a more unique experience. Luckily that sort of thing is the exception rather than the norm.
I'm appreciative of our great guide staff and their willingness to jump in to help when needed. If I remember correctly it was Bryan who paddled out to accompany your trip and help Meg make the trip more enjoyable. You were in great hands!

Thanks for taking the time to write this review, and I hope to see you out with us again some time!