“Fun in the sun in the San Juan Islands”

Anacortes Kayak Tours
Ranked #1 of 15 Tours in Anacortes
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Anacortes Kayak Tours is a family owned and operated that offers fun and affordable sea kayaking trips in the San Juan Islands of Washington State. Our headquarters are in Anacortes, on Fidalgo Island, and we also offers tours departing from San Juan Island and Orcas Island. A variety of trips including Half Day tours, Full Day excursions, and Multi-Day adventures are available. No prior kayaking experience necessary. Join us!
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We are a group of 7 mature paddlers. We have been paddling together for about 15 years and wanted a six day guided trip in the San Juan Islands in single kayaks. Most companies would not take us out in singles but AKT was very cooperative and provided a wonderful trip. The food was delicious, imaginative and all prepared for us--what a treat! The guides were extremely qualified and modified the trip as needed to take advantage of best current and tide conditions. When we needed instruction, it was given very well. Our guides Wyatt and Gary were lots of fun, well organized and responded extremely well when one of our members became ill and had to return to Anacortes. When I capsized (the first time in 15+ years of paddling) they executed my rescue professionally and efficiently! I was back in my kayak in about 5 minutes. The whole team at AKT was helpful, pleasant and very professional. The quality of equipment was superior, unlike some other rental equipment that we have experienced. We all hope to have another kayaking experience with AKT! Our sincere thanks to Wyatt and Gary and also to Megan, Erik and their team.
Marian

Erik S, Owner at Anacortes Kayak Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

I am so glad that you all enjoyed your trip Marian! Thanks for posting this great review.
Wyatt and Gary had a great time as well, they loved the challenge of packing all of that kit into those boats. I was amazed that it all fit!
Hopefully we'll see you out here again, there's still plenty of new places for you to explore.

Have a terrific summer, and thanks again for your business!

Reviewed July 31, 2012

We had a wonderful trip. Blake was a great guide. We were fortunate to have a very low tide so got to see interesting tidal creatures. Our 5 hour trip was very relaxed and at a nice pace. The side trip to the light house was magical, and it was nice to get out and stretch. They do a good job of getting people out on the water safely and comfortably. The equipment was top notch. Well done!!! We will let friends know about the great trip we had.

Thanks again!.

Erik S, Owner at Anacortes Kayak Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

We really appreciate that you came out with us Barbara, and that you took the time to write this review!
Blake is so much fun to paddle with, especially when the tides are low. Yesterday he ended up in an impromptu wrestling match with an octopus! He lost...again (it happened last month too).

We'd love to see you out here again sometime!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed July 31, 2012

I have been on a dozen week long kayak trips--mainly off the west coast of Vancouver Island, Desolation Sound and the Gulf Islands, and I am motivated to write this review as our group agreed we were very impressed with the quality of the food, campsites, kayaks and can't say enough about our enthusiastic and knowledgeable guides--Wyatt and Gary! They handled our one flip over so calmly and efficiently. Thanks Megan and Erik at Anacortes for an amazing adventure and to the gods for the great weather and providing the spectacular orca breeching show as we crossed Rosario Straight on the final day!, We also enjoyed the chance to stretch our legs on the hiking trails available at the campsites. I would highly recommend the San Juans for paddling for beginners or anyone, and certainly recommend the expertise of the guides that will help make the adventure safe and enjoyable.
Pattie

Pattie, thank you so much for this great review! Wyatt and Gary are still talking about how fun that trip was, and how perfectly it ended (getting "mugged" by the whales).
It's not often that we get to challenge ourselves by setting up a 6-Day trip consisting only of single kayaks, but it was fun making it all work out without having to compromise on the meals too much. Thanks for all of you and the rest of the group's assistance on that!

I hope you have an enjoyable summer and definitely stop by to say hello the next time that you come through town!

~Erik

Reviewed July 27, 2012

Hello team at Anacortes - Wendy, Erik, Jeremiah, Gary and Megan and everyone else who helped to make our trip so special!

Hey guys Roger and I are now in Juneau about to hit the mountains for a week of running and I just wanted to pause and say thank you so much for a wonderful visit to the San Juan Islands. We had a lovely time and it was such a special part of our trip this last month. Despite some crummy weather the trip was superb and Saturday was particularly special for me. I was so happy I was practically levitating! And of course Saturday was rounded off by some wonderful beach theatre!
Jeremiah, good luck for the 50miler this weekend, kick butt and have fun. Gary, good luck for your kayak trip planning and see you down south soon. Megan and Wendy, thanks so much for the super organizing and being our local post office - Roger and I will be hitting the trails with our new running packs soon. Thanks to everyone for being so welcoming and kind - rock stars!

If any of you or your friends from akt are even thinking of coming to Cape Town or South Africa please let us know - we have beds, mtns, great outdoors and despite the presence of the sub awesome kayaking!

Many thanks again - a big South African hug  - Baie Dankie bru!

Kylie and Roger

ETS68, Owner at Anacortes Kayak Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Thanks for coming out with us Kylie and Roger! It was great to meet you two, and we really appreciated your smiles that first morning when the rain was falling!
I am glad that the weather broke and you were able to enjoy some good ol' San Juan Islands sunshine.
Good luck with all of that running up in Alaska, and you might just see us over in Cape Town some day!

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed July 4, 2012

Yesterday we took a 90-minute paddle out of Bowman Bay and little way into Puget Sound. Our group included my family (My wife, daughters (14, 12, and 6) and son (10)) and my brother and sister-in-law and their 7-year-old son. We were concerned about weather, but were blessed with a slight clearing of the clouds and no rain as we headed out into Bowman Bay with our guide, Dan. Dan is in his third season with AKT and was very knowledgeable regarding kayaking and the surroundings.

The weather was a little cool and cloudy, but the kids had a blast. We saw a lot of plant and animal life you cannot appreciate from the shore. No one was tired and no one complained. I would say for a family trip with small children this was about the right length. If the kids were older, we might have tried the half-day trip.

You should be aware that there are no weather cancellations except windy weather and normal cancellations require 48-hours notice. With that in mind show up prepared wearing layers for the weather and prepare to have a great time.

Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Thanks for your review Jon!
I'm glad that you had a good time and I hope that you'll bring your family back again some time. We love to see young people enjoying some time outside.
Have a terrific summer!