“Do Not Stay Here If You Expect To Be Respected”
Review of San Juan Motel

San Juan Motel
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Anacortes
Los Angeles
“Do Not Stay Here If You Expect To Be Respected”
Reviewed October 13, 2009

I am still here (Tues) because I paid for another full week 2days ago on Sun. I'd been here the week prior also & am here as my company sent me Anacortes Wa as I work in refineries & must travel to stay working due to the econ... so cost/commute helped me pick this motel & the closer motel to work was already booked up with coworkers. When I pulled up there was not a car to be seen & I heard "shimmy" (sp?) an employee say that they were dead all week, but I was denied the 1st flr I reserved (due to tools, groc., etc.) for which no excuse or apology was given. Anyway, an extended stay or chain it is not.. it is worn around the edges for sure... peeling paint etc... but I was only looking for a place to sleep & eat after working the nightshift for 12+ hours... so my expectations were minimal & yet they failed!
They will not leave me alone during the day... entering my room while I am sleeping & when I am gone to fix a water heater that heats the room below me which the mngr Rhani says is her best room so she needs to rent it (don't I matter? I paid!)... Not every room has a water heater... the whole place is empty... I told her when I made the resv I worked nights & wanted to be undisturbed.. so why put me in a room with a crappy water heater that heats water for several rooms??? Idiots! I should have known when I asked for a Do Not Disturb sign at check in & was told they dont have them. I told them my shift hours last week & that I dont want to be disturbed to have my room cleaned in the morning or early afternoon as I am sleeping... but by 10am they are calling me every 15 min & banging on the door to come in... the mngr thought she was being real funny when she accused me of being a terrorist and asked me if "I was building something in there"... Today she barged into the room while while I was sleeping in my bed (undressed) & forced me from the room to let her worker fix the water heater again!! I was pushed out before I could take my meds (diabetes)... when I came back they were now cleaning & wouldn't leave... my belongings had been moved & rifled through including my laptop, magazines, unplugged my alarm clock, & touched my medications... And they told me they will come back in my room again when I leave against my wishes!!! I feel totally violated!!!
I have a physically demanding job that is extremely dangerous... I have made that clear & yet they will not let me sleep in peace... I have been dragging myself in to work tired because I need more that 2hours here & 3 hours there... especially being a diabetic.
I should also mention that the Wi-Fi went out last week... first they denied there was problem & then they called back a few days later to say it was fixed... it worked for a day & has been out since. I have a young son at home & we use Skype when I travel (homework/catching up on his day) & I cant see him because they fail to provide the services they advertise are included in the room rate... And the cable TV.... it sucks too.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank metal71

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Seattle, WA
Reviewed September 9, 2009

My partner and I were going to Victoria for the weekend and made the last-minute decision to spend the night closer to the ferry so we wouldn't have to wake up at 4am. After finding out Mount Vernon was giving a key to the city to Glenn Beck, we opted to stay in Anacortes.

Don't kid yourself. The vast majority of this place's business is made up of people who just need a place to sleep before catching the ferry the next day. The owners know this, and you should be aware of it as well.

The room was far from what I would consider "nice." The ceiling had some water damage, the paint on the wall was cracking, and the carpet could probably stand to be replaced. But for $80 and being much closer to the ferry terminal, it was worth it. The bed was clean and there was free wifi, though the signal reliability was spotty after about 11pm. We didn't shower because we wanted to maximize the amount of sleep we got while also getting to the terminal as early as possible, so I can't really comment on the bathroom quality. There was also a stove and microwave, but we had no use for either. There's a Safeway and another local market just a few blocks away, as well as what looked like a number of diners/restaurants along the main street (the motel is just one block off the main street).

Bottom line, this place is fine. It's decently priced and in a pretty good location for catching the ferry. It's not the best motel I've ever stayed in, but it's FAR from the worst.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tdogg241
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Coming to Anacortes, having read the reviews on this website, I stayed away from the San Juan and booked a reservation elsewhere. However, due to problems with our reservation at another hotel, we were forced to go elsewhere. The first place we drove by was the San Juan. It looked decent enough, so we decided to have a look. Walking into the front office, we could see it was a family-run place. We asked to have a look at a room before paying, and the front desk was more than happy to share. Our first impression was that the room was HUGE. The furniture was spaced. The walls were brick, and welcome. They gave us a cool feeling for the hot summers day. The kitchenette was there, but we had no use for it. There was nothing spectacular about the room. It was just a basic clean room, so we took it.

Our stay was eventless, other than my daughters walking across the street to the movie theater to watch Harry Potter. It is in downtown Anacortes, so the lack of a restaurant or continental breakfast was made up by its proximity to great affordable dining. The brewery was only 2 blocks away, with the Rock Fish Grill next door. We enjoyed breakfast at Calico Cupboard. Both restaurants were recommended by the friendly staff. The greatest joy of our trip was discovering the guest multi-purpose room. It has laundry facilities, which would be perfect, for families on road trips, and any clothes mishap for businesspeople, and an ice machine, perfect during the hot weather. The vending machine, in addition to cola's, also had orange juice, complimented with the free coffee in our room, and free reliable wifi was perfect after a long day.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank jess2216
Europa
Reviewed May 24, 2009

It's just disgusting: the furniture (worm out/ fatty), the blanket (with several big marks of blood etc. ...) etc. etc. ... Staying just one night here (just to catch the ferry to Vancouver Island in the morning) > was 1 night to much. We prefered our sleeping bags even the linen was clean. And: it's not a question of the stuff cleans here - they apparently did a good job. It's a question of the owner (not to replace the very old disgusting stuff...). The price is really bold for what you get for!
Read reviews - they are correct.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BiggiL

Travelers are raving about these Anacortes hotels

tadb
Reviewed August 24, 2008

The beds are old, doors don't close, walls are thin. Read reviews before you book. They are correct.

• Liked — They had mints in the check-in lobby.
  • Disliked — the noise leve.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank tadb
ranijee, Owner at San Juan Motel, responded to this review, November 14, 2008
At the time of this visitors stay, the beds are all under two years old. The walls between each room are made of concrete.

If the customer had notified us at the time of their stay that the beds were uncomfortable, we would have offered him another room.
harrison hot springs, B.C.
Reviewed July 11, 2008

Had a great stay, managment was excellant and looked after all my needs. will return for another visit soon.

• Liked — secutity
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank bradweiss
California
Reviewed June 26, 2008

Rooms are nice, reasonable size, clean, good condition with new kitchenettes, WiFi and HBOs, and the price is quite reasonable. New paint job outside and landscaping. Good location as well, just a few miles from the ferry terminal.

• Liked — WiFi
  • Disliked — No Frills
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business