“Clean, updated room - great front desk help”
Review of Islands Inn

Islands Inn
Ranked #6 of 9 Anacortes B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 21, 2008

My wife and I recently stayed at the Islands Inn with our 9 month old and our dog. The room had just been updated with new tiles and carpet. It was a spacious room with enough space for a king size bed, playpen, dog bed and room left over for our little guy to crawl around. The front desk was super helpful in co-ordinating doggy day care for our dog while we took the ferry out to San Juan Island for the day. And the jacuzzi/pool was an added bonus after carrying my son around in a backpack all day ;)

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank KelownaEspressoLover

Reviewed October 15, 2007

My wife and I recently needed a place to crash before heading to the San Juan's for a trip. We found the Islands Inn by searching on google and decided to make a reservation.

The room was run-down but clean and quiet. It featured the notorious "toilet phone" and I was actually happy that the bathroom had it's own heater as the room was pretty cold when we arrived. I wouldn't ever make this motel a tourist destination but if you are looking for a simple place to stay that is quite affordable than this is what you are looking for.

We were pleasantly surprised by a free breakfast in the morning. Not only was a it a free breakfast, it was actually good. As we sipped on tea and a decidedly Norwegian breakfast breakfast of breads, soft boiled eggs, cheese, and cold cuts, we could actually envision this Inn being in Northern Europe.

They could stand to update just about everything. A trip to Ikea could turn a 70s retro breakfast area into a trendy European breakfast spot.

But for the price it was an absolute delight!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mclanea
Reviewed September 11, 2007

We stayed in Anacortes only 1 night as a stopover from Victoria, BC to the Bellingham Airport. The Island Inn was the only thing that went well for us on this stopover. In fact their staff was our saving grace.

We arrived on the late ferry (8:30pm) no public transport available so we called a cab. The company tells us 15 min and shows up 45 min later. Why did we wait? We had no choice. At least the other taxi co. in town was honest and told it would be a 45 min wait.

So we arrived, tired and hungry. Tried pizza delivery, but found out that the restaurants had closed. The only one open and in reasonable walking distance was the Jack and the box. Their drive thru was open. So we walked up with dreams of hamburgers and fries...which they promptly dashed as they refused to serve us because we didn't' have a car!!!

Out of dining options, we luckily caught the local convenient store just before it closed and got some pringles and beer for what was going to be our dinner in Anacortes.

Needless to say, when we returned and told this story to the woman at the reception, she really felt our pain. She called the Jack and the box to complain, (which made me feel better) and then fixed us the most beautiful plate of ham/cheese for sandwiches. (which made our stomachs feel better)

The next day..well we had little time and even less enthusiasm to explore Anacortes. So we had a leisurely dutch breakfast (soft boiled egg, warm bread with butter and choclate sprinkles ) and asked for a late checkout which they gave us without any hesitation. We then enjoyed their spotless pool and hot tub before getting the heck out of town.

To summarize, the Island Inn holds to a far superior standard of service that the rest of Anacortes (at least the little that we experienced) cannot even dream to match. I would not even consider going back to that town without a confirmed reservation at the Island Inn.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank genkiyerba
Reviewed August 26, 2007

My family of 4 stayed here for 4 days during July and had a great time. The motel is not fancy but is very clean, comfortable and is a great value for the area. The furniture and decor in the room were dated but the beds were comfortable and furnishings were perfectly functional. The room also had a mini refrigerator but not a microwave. As noted in many other reviews, one of the best features of the hotel is the included Dutch breakfast that consists of a soft boiled egg served in an egg cup, a thin slice of ham, a slice of cheese, fresh baked bread, and coffee and tea. The waitress was very friendly and helpful. Check-in went smoothly and staff were very helpful when asked about area restaurants and events. There is a computer with free internet access and also a wireless "hotspot" in the lobby. They always have free coffee and tea available in the lobby area for guests. Several reviewers correctly noted that the small pool and hot tub are located in direct view of the restaurant. However, since the hotel only uses the restaurant for breakfast, this would only be an issue if you are swimming in the early morning. The hotel is located in Anacortes but not particularly close to the "downtown" area so you will need to drive about a mile to get to the popular shops and restaurants located in that area. However the drive is short and parking is free so this was not a big deal for us. I paid a total of $89.00 per night for my family of 4 to stay here. Considering we received a decently furnished and very clean room, free breakfast, free coffee and tea throughout the day, and good advice and service from the hotel staff, I would say that the Islands Inn is a great value for the price. I will stay here again when in Anacortes.

Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank AustinMan
Reviewed August 18, 2007

Islands inn is a great place to stay in Anacortes ... near everything, nice pool and hot tub. Great help from front desk, excellent breakfast, nice rooms.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank env11ca
Reviewed September 13, 2006

Having arrived in Anacortes spontaneously I asked and looked around and found the Islands Inn , choosing it because I was able to park in front of my room. The rooms were very clean. It isn't a brand new facility but then again the price was very reasonable for what I got: very sweet and helpful staff, a great nights sleep, and a tasty unique dutch style breakfast. Recommended for those on a budget who want a pleasant experience.

Stayed: August 2006
4  Thank reson8ingheart
Reviewed August 10, 2006

We decided to make a last minute trip to Anacortes but found most of the hotels had no vacancies or cost more than we cared to pay for a last minute trip. When I called Islands Inn, I was told that there was one room available but it was a smoking room. Because the clerk was so helpful and friendly, I decided to go ahead and take the room. I was dreading the smell of second hand smoke in the room but it really wasn't very noticeable. What was noticeable was the fact that the room was very clean despite the fact that it is an older hotel and was reasonable in price. In fact, it was cleaner than some hotels I've stayed in that cost a lot more.

I was very impressed with the staff's friendliness and helpfulness. A complimentary Dutchbreakfast is served along with the daily newspaper. Although the menu is limited to an egg, excellent homemade bread, chocolate sprinkles (which you put on buttered bread in Dutch tradition) and ham and cheese, it was certainly a great way to start the day.

It was a very hot weekend, and I was happy to see that the hotel had air-conditioning (and a fireplace... we chose not to use the fireplace on this trip <g>). We noticed that some of the other hotels did not have air-conditioning and were very thankful that Islands Inn had one that worked well.

We did not have a view of the bay but some of the other rooms do. However, all we had to do was walk outside and we could watch the ships in the bay. The pool and jacuzzi were very clean.

I loved Anacortes and plan to visit again. I will definitely stay at the Islands Inn when I do.

6  Thank rosiestar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anacortes
Anacortes Ship Harbor Inn
13 mi away
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#4 of 5 in Mount Vernon

Been to Islands Inn? Share your experiences!