“Excellent service in a relaxed environment”
Review of Islands Inn

Islands Inn
Ranked #6 of 9 Anacortes B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Excellent service in a relaxed environment”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

We just finished our third visit to Islands Inn. The attention to detail and the courtesy with which they accommodated our mobility issues was wonderful. The best hotel breakfast in my experience features fresh baked bread.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jan P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Stayed just one night here last week on our way to Friday Harbor because of a Groupon deal and have to say what a great find this place was. Funky older motor motel turned modern day comfy. Great location on the main drag towards town. Nice big room (#222) with a blacony out back looking towards the water and the mill (paper plant?) far off in the distance which was lit up like a christmas tree. Pretty and disturbing view both at the same time. A hummus plate and 2 glasses of wine from the attached Petite Wine bar were included and were fantastic! They had a plentiful continential breakfast along with soft or hard boiled eggs and fresh baked french bread also included which was the perfect way to start our day. This is a gem of a place and would definately stay again on a an over night trip thru Anacortes.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank mazatlanbound
Federal Way, Washington
Reviewed April 6, 2012

My husband and I got a great deal for this place on Groupon. Two nights in a Fireplace room for $89, which included two desserts and two glasses of port at the wine bar.

Although the place looks like a motel on the outside, it is much cuter inside. The tv is a nice flat screen, the room clean, bathroom spacious.

The wine bar is located by the office and we went in there the first night. I ordered a bottle of Dolcetto and the spicy pork kabobs. The wine was okay but the kabobs were fabulous!!

In the morning, the inn offers a continental breakfast with homemade granola, cereal, juice, muffins, raisin bread, yogurt etc. It was very nice.

The second night we got our port and had dessert. My husband got the tiramisu and I had the marionberry crumble. Both were delicious.

I really loved the hominess of this place except, and this is a big one....the bed was awful. So hard and not comfy. It was like a bargain mattress and both nights I was unable to sleep and woke up with a backache. I would love to stay there again, but really couldn't take another night of that bed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Redmond
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We really liked this Inn. Our room (Executive King Suite) was suitable. Very large space with a comfortable couch and loveseat in front of the fireplace (Duralogs provided), table and chairs and even a jacuzzi jetted bathtub.
The morning offering for breakfast was charming. We had wine and appetizers our first evening and the wines were both very nice and the apps were tasty and with a lovely presentation. We will stay here again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JandJ18
Liverpool
Reviewed January 21, 2012

This is a very nice, clean motel. Staff were friendly and helpful. It's a bit far from the downtown but there seemed to be a nice restaurant onsite. We had a drink there but other people's food looked lovely and they seemed to be enjoying it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank NikkiandAndy
Concrete, Washington
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Being from the San Juan Islands just a Ferry ride away I have had the opportunity to stay at several of the hotels in Anacortes (Alas, one doesn't always catch the last Ferry home!) and I have to say that the Islands Inn is my choice for a play to stay! Since Anacortes is on the "tourist route" most hotels are very expensive but this property has extremely good rates and you will save a bundle of bucks.

I have stayed here several times over the last few years and have watched it change ... always for the better. Bela, the owner, is a wonderful host and puts a nice finishing touch on anybody's stay. The last time I stayed here was as I was returning from a trip to Panama, so I will address that stay in this review.

SERVICE: In one word: wonderful! Coming back from Colon, Panama I arrived in Anacortes after midnight and was planning just to hang around the ferry terminal until the early ferry, but it was very cold, raining, and blowing. So I decided to call the Islands Inn and Bela to see if I could get a room. Despite the late hour she came over from her home nearby and warmly greeted me despite the fact that I must have been quite the sight with my bedraggled, worn, and exhausted appearance and my large burden of luggage. Best of all she happily set me up in my favorite room! The next morning, after a late breakfast, she arranged for her son to take me and my 'collection' to the ferry terminal at no cost so I could finally complete my journey home! (I did give him a good tip and told him not to spend it all on wild women. LOL) Such service! FIVE STARS *****

VALUE: You get more than you pay for here, so: And if you are an Island resident you get a discount on your room rate! 4 STARS ****

SLEEP QUALITY: Pretty darn good overall. The beds are very comfortable and make a good night rest a sure thing. But shy away from the rooms on the very ends of the building since you get a lot of road noise in them. And as in any hotel: the 2nd floor rooms are quieter. 4 STARS ****

CLEANLINESS: Everytime I've stayed here it has been very clean. Absolutely no complaints. FIVE STARS *****

LOCATION: The hotel is located on the very south end of town which means you have to drive to go dine or hit any of the tourist traps, but it is really no big deal. It is still well located for anything that you need to do. It is easy to find as you enter town. FOUR STARS ****

ROOMS: The rooms I have stayed in were very nice for the money. Well decorated and clean. Bathrooms are nicely done and contain a wide variety of excellent toiletries. Nice TVs. There are 4 types of rooms available: Standard (2 queens), Family (3 queens), Fireplace (1 king and fireplace), and the 'Executive Suite' ( 1 king, fireplace, and jaccuzzi tub). Having stayed in both the Standard rooms and the Fireplace rooms (which cost exactly the same) my choice is definately the Fireplace room! The Standard rooms are a little more basic and I don't prefer them. FOUR STARS ****

BREAKFAST: Bela's breakfasts are wonderful and well presented! Nothing fancy mind you ... just very good and an excellent way to start the day! I just love the little 'chicken cozies' for the eggs! FIVE STARS *****

Be aware that the exterior of the building looks like it is stuck back in the 60's ... waaaay back. This might cause some folks to worry ...but don't let that put you off. Take a look at one of the Fireplace rooms and you will be sold for sure! (One sleeps IN the rooms ... not outside them! lol)

I think that my favorite part about this property is that it still has a few Smoking rooms. (or did) For those of us that are totally sick and tired of being banished out into the "leper colony" with the rain, wind, and cold just to have a cigarette: then this is the Hotel for us!!!!! Sit back in the arm chair with a pipe, a snifter of cognac, and watch Masterpiece Theater on PBS!

(For those that don't smoke you've still got the other 32 'smoke-free' rooms to choose from!)

Also I am glad to hear that Bela has finally got her "Wine Bar" up and running! She has been wanting to do that for years. Next time I head to the Mainland I will definately stop by for a nibble and support her latest endeavor.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the very outer ends of the building due to traffic noise.