“pretty view on a nice day but typical casino stuff”

Swinomish Casino & Lodge
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Anacortes
seattle and north
“pretty view on a nice day but typical casino stuff”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Liked:
big room
window opening onto fresh air overlooking bay
newer fixtures
fresh fruity water cooler in lobby
coffee maker in room
easy access to i-5 and anacortes
disliked:
smokey air- more and more intrusive as the weekend wore on
no lanaii- apparently it was an option of some kind but we didn't have a clue...
no refridgerator until we asked and asked and asked
shower was dull
no bathtub options
no pool or hot tub
no outdoor seating except on deck of restaurant and in entryway to lobby (for waiting for valet etc).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank toriadori

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed July 13, 2012

The Lodge has beautiful clean and modern rooms with all the amenities you could ask for (no fridges yet but coming soon). I was very happy with our front desk service and check-in process, however, the dining experience was a nightmare. We arrived late after driving 10 hours to get there and were starving. The 13 moons restaurant was closed (8pm on a Tues night??) so we ventured over to the restaurant/buffet. When we walked into the restaurant the hostess asked "can I help you?" which I thought was an odd question. Once seated our waitress Amanda was friendly enough at first until I ordered the buffet. I only had one plate at the buffet when Amanda came over and rudely asked, "can you please pay now so I can at least send my cashier home?". I didn't understand the rudeness, since there were several other customers in the restaurant and it was only 845pm. Then I saw a little sign on my table that said the buffet closed at 9pm. I paid her and didn't even get anything more to eat. What a waste of money. The manager on duty came over and told me Amanda left for the night and he would be available if we needed him. I think he felt bad about Amanda's behavior but I still left feeling like I was the inconvenience and I was still hungry. Like the reviewers below said there is nothing else around except a gas station and it was 9pm at night and I'd been driving for 10 hours. My daughter and I left the restaurant to crash into our beds exhausted and as we were walking a security guard starting running and chasing us while screaming at the top of her lungs that we needed to leave. My 4 year old daughter was scared half to death. I realize she was upset that we were walking through the casino to get to our rooms but that is the ONLY way to get to our rooms unless we went out side and walked all the way around the entire casino. I was so upset and my daughter was crying at this point so we ran outside and had to walk around the whole casino in the dark and pouring rain to get to the adjacent lodge.

I was completely flabbergasted that we were treated this way as guests at the lodge while attempting to get to our rooms from the only eatery in the building. This was entirely unacceptable and should never happened. If you don't want children in the casino then you need to make an access route for them so they don't have to walk in the dark in the rain (this is western WA and it rains daily) or else have your restaurant actually open for dinner for your hotel guests. On top of that your staff needs some lessons in customer service. I was very disappointed since I really enjoy this area of WA and the rooms were great. I want to like this place and recommend it but after the way we were treated I can't possibly recommend to anyone at this point.

Room Tip: Don't brings kids and be sure to eat early
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Jackie T
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Yeah, I know...it's a casino but we booked on expedia, saw the great rate & 'resort', we thought can't miss! Gamble, spa, pool. Only gambling is on the list; should have researched. Location is not within walking distance of anything (we're checking out Anacortes) and there is absolutely nothing for kids to do. I tried to change rooms & when I called the front desk I was told 'can't technically do anything b/c we booked thru expedia, have to check with supervisor'. Uh, ok..so check. Apparently actually checking was too strenuous. Dinner buffet was plentiful and cheap ($11) but food turnover was slow, people were complaining that food was drying out sitting for too long under the heat lamps. We received an invite to extend our stay for only $59 (std room only-we're in a bay view, thank god b/c my toddler could watch boats speed by; that's children's entertainment here). Um, no thanks. Yes the rooms are pretty and very spacious but this 'resort' is new so I'd expect that, however the service needs to be upgraded. I've stayed in far less pretty hotels and have had friendlier more helpful service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank tripgirl127
, General Manager at Swinomish Casino & Lodge, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thank you for your review of the Swinomish Casino & Lodge. We apologize that your experience did not match your expectation. Our property is not advertised as a resort nor lists spa or pool amenities on publications, websites, or booking channels. We are a Pacific Northwest Casino & Lodge property offering the best in gaming entertainment and upscale guest room accommodations which offer views of Padilla Bay, the San Juan Islands, and the Cascade Mountains. Without knowing the nature of your room move request, given you were in one of our bayview rooms, I cannot elaborate on why our desk staff was unable to immediately assist.

We have prided ourselves on providing helpful and friendly service at every opportunity as mentioned in other reviews, however I apologize this did not happen in your circumstance, no call back or follow up certainly does not meet our expected standards. Thank you again for your feedback, I assure you this will be shared with our staff and used to further improve the guest experience we strive to deliver.

Dallas Widmark - Lodge General Manager
dwidmark@swinomishcasino.com
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We have stayed at the new Swinomish Lodge three times since it has opened and have enjoyed each trip so much that we will be going up for a fourth stay later this month.

Over the years, we have driven up from Seattle for an afternoon of gaming at the casino from time to time but with the addition of the Lodge, it has become a true destination.

Although the Lodge is obviously not on a par with the top hotels in Las Vegas, it is very comfortable and inviting. The beautiful lobby is very welcoming with its two sided fireplace and complementary coffee and fruit infused water.

The rooms are well designed and nicely furnished including large flat screen HD televisions and a Keurig coffee maker with a generous supply of complimentary K-cups and bottled water. I especially like the large stone tiled bathroom and glass enclosed shower.

The staff are exceptionally friendly and Paula was especially helpful.

Any petty complaints I have (plastic water glasses, lack of make-up mirror) have been addressed in previous reviews and it sounds like improvements are on the way.

We used to drive down to Reno at least once a year but with such a great place in our own area, who needs them?

3 Thank dennisc637
Justin S, Marketing Coordinator, Swinomish Casino & Lodge at Swinomish Casino & Lodge, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. It is exciting to hear that we’ve become a favorite destination for you to travel. The fruit infused water has been a big hit in the lobby along with the coffee service. I will be sure to share your complements with Paula, thank you! Multipurpose glass tumblers were recently added to all the rooms and make-up mirrors may be the next improvement. Thanks again!

Bremerton, Washington
Reviewed July 5, 2012

A beautiful facility. Fabulous room, bed was very comfortable great place. We went with another couple and their room was right next to ours and just as great....however they had a refrigerator and we did not. Asked for a refrigerator and was told they didn't have anymore. Also we had a loud constant noise outside our room that kept us awake. It sounded like a huge air handler. Make sure if you stay it is not near room 1336.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Justin S, Marketing Coordinator, Swinomish Casino & Lodge at Swinomish Casino & Lodge, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for your review. We have recently installed refrigerators in all the rooms and the noise was reported to our engineering team to look at and try to remedy. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay and help us improve the experience for all our guests. Hope to see you again soon!

Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed July 1, 2012

If you aren’t looking for a total gambling stay, then you could have fun during a short stay at this casino.
The lobby and hotel interior are well appointed and the rooms are nice and clean with flat screen TV’s, a coffee maker and free Wi -Fi, but hold nothing special over a standard hotel room found at other gambling destination hotels. If you pay a little extra for your room, you get a room with a view of Padilla Bay in the distance and there is no extra charge for the expansive view of travel trailers and motor homes parked on the hotel property. The casino is a reasonable size and divided with a smoking side and a smaller no smoking area with the standard array of slots and table games.
The main floor buffet / restaurant serves a reasonable assortment of food items at fair prices for the gambler on the go. The “13 moons” dining room serves a more trendy (not inexpensive) cuisine including the standard steak and seafood entrees, however the menu pricing can be considered high for this venue and is not reflected in the decor which is somewhat plain and restrictive in charm. The ambiance is further hampered by the lack of table linen and stark interior design.
Now for the good stuff. If you choose to gamble a little in the evening and spend your day sight-seeing by car, walking, or biking, the “Swinomish Casino” is located close to Anacortes and La Conner Washington where you can spent the day walking the old town areas with its many antique shops, restaurants, and boutique’s. A drive of the local area is also worth the time.

1 Thank Dufferinhouse
Thank you for taking the time to write such a complete review. We take great pride in the beauty of our region and are happy to assist with any questions guests may have about additional “Things To Do” in the area. The expansive views from our Bayside Rooms and 13moons Restaurant are quite breathtaking. The menu for 13moons has recently been updated with new pricing, new items, and will continue to focus on fresh and local product while making it more accessible for a casual dining experience with an upscale atmosphere. Thanks again for your review!

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I was truly impressed with the hotel and the casino. Room were clean. The fitness room had up to date equipment. Rooms had coffee maker and some bottle water. Nice touch.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the view. They have a great view of the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Justin S, jshank@swinomishcasino.com at Swinomish Casino & Lodge, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. All the rooms include refrigerators and Keurig Coffee makers. Bay View rooms have an excellent view of Padilla Bay. You can also enjoy the view while dining at 13moons Restaurant. Hope to see you again soon!

jshank@swinomishcasino.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anacortes
The Marina Inn
#2 of 3 in La Conner
Fidalgo Country Inn
Fidalgo Country Inn
#7 of 10 in Anacortes

Been to Swinomish Casino & Lodge? Share your experiences!