“What a great find in a little town!”

Frida's Gourmet Mexican Cuisine
Ranked #12 of 99 Restaurants in Anacortes
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Frida's Gourmet Mexican Cuisine has been named after the famous Mexican artist Frida Kahlo. She was the wife of another famous Mexican artist Diego Rivera. This marriage was an amalgamation of two artistic styles, the classical muralist Diego and the avant-garde Frida. This blend inspired us to produce a menu that offers both classical and gourmet Mexican dishes.
Reviewed April 15, 2019

The food was fantastic and includes many things that are not on the menu in most Mexican restaurants. (Maybe that's why the preceding review wasn't so happy, the writer was looking for Taco Bell-level food.) The decor is charming. The waitstaff were attentive and efficient, and my stuffed peppers were delicious, as was the Mezcal cocktail. My husband spent his early years in Mexico, and he was delighted by sopapillas for dessert. I'm looking forward to going back next time I'm in the area.

Date of visit: April 2019
1  Thank Carolyn G

Reviewed April 5, 2019 via mobile

Had been there before and service was better and food was also.
We were greeted by some scruffy red headed
Mexican with a terrible attitude.
Wanted to argue with everything we said.
Wouldn't help with the menu.
Almost just got up and left like 2 other couples did while we were there.
Food came, dried out rice, better burritos at taco bell and refried beans that looked and tasted like soup. Terrible!
Never came back to see if food was OK or if we needed anything else until it was time to go and he just dropped the bill on the table and walked away.
Don't know what his problem was but seemed to be rude to everyone.
You would have a better experience at taco bell with alot better price.
These people need to get better educated on how to run a restaurant.
Later we got sick from the food.
Wife was sick and was thinking about going to the ER but went to bed sick.
I had an upset stomach and wondered about the cleanliness of the kitchen and food.
We Will NEVER GO BACK!

THEY'RE PLENTY OF OTHER MEXICAN RESTAURANTS IN THE AREA.

WARNING!!!I WOULD AVOID THIS PLACE!!!!!!

Date of visit: April 2019
1  Thank Jimbo33333
Reviewed March 19, 2019

I like to read all of the negative reviews first which I did. I can't comment on the ones that talked about 'terrible service' I wasn't there. The other complaints questioned the authenticity of it being 'Mexican.' Somewhat true, it is not a "taqueria." It is a more upscale restaurant, with some unusual offerings. Just imagine if a bunch of us moved to say Ireland (since I was there on St. Patty's day) and each opened burger places, how different they would all be.

I found the service to be excellent. When we first walked in the person greeting us wanted to sit the two of us at a little table right at the front door next to the hostess stand, the place was not very busy so I asked for a different table... no problem.

Let me say I love Mole. It's my go to. It was some of the best Mole I have ever had. I'm sure there will be disagreement on that.

The menu is vast with many unusual offerings and some standard fare as well. I'm anxious to go back.

Besides "Frida" their taquilla offerings seem to be a big part of their theme, I'm not a taquilla drinker so can't comment on that but they seem to a have a huge selection.

My only complaint was the portion size was a bit skimpy, considering the price I would have liked more. Yet my wife had the steak tacos and she couldn't finish all three. Also, the bean were not like anything I've had before, very liquid, you can't eat them with a fork, but I poured them on the rice and I was fine with that.

The steak tacos were wonderful, not a bit of fat or gristle and very tender.

If you're looking for "antojitos" over sized burrito, etc you'll not be happy. If you're looking for something different and unusual it's worth a try.

Date of visit: March 2019
2  Thank SpencerM597
Reviewed March 11, 2019

Very nice discovery! I’ve been here several time now. No idea what “style” Mexican food this is but very yummy

Date of visit: February 2019
1  Thank Gloria_Seattle12
Reviewed February 25, 2019

Try the guacamole with taquitos and the coconut shrimp. Great margaritas. Friendly service. Pictures of Frida Kahlo on the wall.

Date of visit: February 2019