“Surprisingly high quality, diverse menu, authentic”

Frida's - Anacortes
Ranked #11 of 94 Restaurants in Anacortes
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2014

What a surprise for a Mexican restaurant. We had been to one across the street a year ago that was ho-hum. Stopped here on a whim for a late lunch with a friend after scrubbing a boat interior and was delighted and surprised with the high quality of the margaritias (Yay! not from a MIX!), the menu choices (not your usual Mexican restaurant, and truly "gourmet" Mexican as their ad at Fridasgourmet.com states), the waiter (seriously attentive and professional), the size of the portions (no dinner for me after such a lunch!), the atmosphere and decor (colorful Frida Kahlo portraits everywhere). The restaurant was not crowded in such an off hour but should have been, and would be in a larger city. Classical dishes, regional favorites and a well-stocked bar.
Live music every Friday at 6. This will give the Brown Lantern and Greek Island some serious competition as a favorite place to dine in Anacortes. I wish it were in Portland, where I live.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

A friend recommended I try Frida's and after being disappointed time and time again by Mexican restaurants that served ridiculously greasy and overly cheesy food, I was skeptical. I was instantly chagrined to find out how wrong I had been about this place though. The ambiance is fantastic with perfect lighting, great little tables and an awesome bar in the back. The wine and bear selection was great, but the tequila and margarita selections were out of this world! And then the food! A varied menu offering someone for everyone--from vegetarian me to my meat-loving boyfriend and everything in between. The food was beyond delicious; perfectly seasoned and prepared with just the right amount of oil, cheese and flavor! The only downfall was the service, which was was passable but not amazing.

I can't believe I waited so long to try this place! Don't make the same mistake I did!

1  Thank Frodesen
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We've eaten here before and loved it but I guess over time I had forgotten how good it is. When I took my first bite I was over come by the richness and breadth of flavor. My significant other had the same experience and in fact we enjoyed our individual dishes so much we opted not to share with each other (other than a taste). Owner (when he's there) is a wonder fellow!

Reviewed December 8, 2013

This is another nice surprise in Anacortes. Might be a bit too gourmet for people looking for basic mexican food. The back bar area is cool.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We were there on a quiet Sunday afternoon/evening. Lovely place with the Frida art and dark decor. Server was okay, could benefit from being a bit more friendly. Not that he was unfriendly, just kind of blah. I'm not sure there was any alcohol in my margarita. I'm what I call a cheap drunk, and I didn't feel a thing from that huge glass of stuff. Not the best tasting margarita either. The food was good, my burrito was the best item. I really liked the side of slaw or salad or whatever it was. Not impressed by the rice. Desserts looked yummy, but my burnt creme, despite the nice show of flaming the sugar top tableside, did not impress me either. Prices higher than usual Mexican fare, so I expected more of a gourmet level. Missed the mark in my opinion. Overall, okay. Would not go back and pay higher prices for okay food.

1  Thank melgrieves