“Frida's proves gourmet Mexican food is possible!”

Frida's - Anacortes
Ranked #10 of 91 Restaurants in Anacortes
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was skeptical about "gourmet" mexican food-and I was wrong!
The decor and atmosphere of Frida's is delightful. When I looked at the menu prices I was rather surprised as they are a bit higher than your typical mexican restaurant prices. The delicousness of the food is alot higher than the typical mexican fare so this made it well worth it to me! The flavors are richer and much more interesting than any mexican food I have eaten before.

2  Thank Yiddo1
There are newer reviews for Frida's - Anacortes

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Was told by a friend to try this place for a different take on Mexican food -- which I love. Coming from California, there are tons of places to eat Mexican food but not as many places available since moving to Whidbey Island, Washington. Love this place and the menu selections are very different - food is delicious, service always good and atmosphere is cozy -- dark wood, rich colors and paintings of Frida. There was even soft, lovely spanish music in the background last time I was there - nice touch. The food presentation is beautiful - colors are vibrant. Try Frida's fried tacos. Prices are a bit higher at dinner so lunch is always when I go -- and the movie theatre is located right behind the restaurant. Lunch and a movie!!

1  Thank Tiztaz
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We found this Mexican restaurant on Trip Advisor and it is a classic. The decor is outstanding. Lots of dark wood, curtained booths and interesting artwork on the walls , We were there in the early afternoon just in time for the happy hour menu. We ordered quesadilla and tacos de carne asada. What could go wrong with that? The surprise was they took these ordinary offerings and infused them with flavors that were totally delightful. And the service was excellent.The restaurant is located in Old Town Anacortes, a tad difficult to find on Commercial Ave. but well worth the effort.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We lived in New Mexico most of our lives and I've never experienced such exceptional cuisine. I'm a celiac and was a little wary of trying a "mexican" restaurant, but this was far from anything I could have imagined. The waiter was very knowledgeable about celiac's disease and suggested many entree choices. The food was outstanding. There was only one "bad" thing; we found this restaurant on our very last day in Anacortes, or we'd have gone back several more times! Great food, great ambiance, great staff and celiac friendly!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

This restaurant was recommended to us and we were excited to try it. Service was really lukewarm. Atmosphere was cozy and we had a nice table. We were a bit late but still well within the "open" hours, maybe our server was tired? I exclaimed to the person pouring our water how interesting the menu looked, and he replied that "scary" might be a better description. Dinner was served swiftly - within about 2 minutes of ordering? I ordered fish tacos and found them to be kind of sweet, with lots of pineapple and mandarin orange slices, and drizzled in balsamic vinegar. Gummy tortillas. My plate had a big greasy handprint on it that I was having trouble getting past. My husband's dinner of stuffed peppers was interesting, with cranberries and nuts. For me, not sure if the unusual ingredients worked, but they are clearly described on the menu, so you can choose something more traditional.