“Great fishing experience for a non-fisherman”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Eagle Point Fishing Charters
Reviewed July 26, 2013

It's been 20 years since I gave up my sailboat, trips to the San Juans and fishing...and I never realized how much I missed it until a recent trip with friends and guide/Capt. Darrel. What an amazing day of fishing being on the water. Darrel not only set us up well and help tend our efforts, but explained what and why we were doing what we were. He's not just a great professional, but a fun guy to hang with on the water!

4  Thank TerryinWAandFL

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Thank you Darrel for the great day of King Salmon fishing. I have fished with eagle point charters with my family numerous times each and every time has been an amazing trip. This last time my family of six was on the boat and once again Darrel proved his skill as a veteran guide. He has been very patient with myself and my young daughter while we were both landing king salmon. In the begining I had never done this before and Darrell never lost his cool with me or my children. I do believe he's only guide in Anacortes that is capable of fishing 6 rods at a time. In fact most of the other guides from the other Harbor had the same amount of people on their boats but were only fishing 3 rods when they had 6 guests on their boats. It is truly amazing watching Darrel deploy 6 fishing poles so fast and handle every situation we put him in throughout the day. Be it from big Kings to an amazing 6 fish hook up at one time. He is a true professional and a great guy. My family will continue to book with Darrell every summer!!

4  Thank MissR73
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Salmon everywhere! I fished with Darrell and Eaglepoint Fishing Charters last Saturday and had a great fishing experience. Limits of salmon, brats on the BBQ, and a beautiful day in the San Juan Islands. I highly recommend fishing with Darrell.

4  Thank DPinBellingham
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was an absolutely terrible fishing experience. My family of 5 adults ranging in age from 40 - 57 set out on this long cod fishing excursion. We had varying degrees of fishing experience ranging from novice to very experienced. I personaly have never caught more than a brook trout and have never been on a guided fishing tour. I wish i could tell you the guide's name, but sadly he never even introduced himself to us, nor did he ever ask our names. My sister in law mentioned that it was my sisters birthday several times and he never said a single word.

So...as soon as we reach our destination, he tells the men that they will be fishing up front and the girls will stay with him. He said to wait to fish until we were all ready. Then he said...okay, you guys go ahead. We all thought this meant they could begin. They tossed out their lines and the man began yelling at them, saying they screwed everything up. It was horrible. He yelled at is every time we caught a hook on the bottom. I understand that tackle is costly but if we all knew what we were doing and exactly how to do it...we would have done it ourselves. We had crummy luck with the fish... but then...I hooked a really big one. I mean huge. Probably 4 or so feet and over 30 lbs. (Remember I'm the one who had never caught more than a brook trout.). I got the fish clear up to the side of the boat and the fish wouldn't fit in the guys net. This somehow translated into my fault. The fish started to run. I got scared because I didn't know what to do and the guy was yelling at me. My arms were wearing out, I was afraid I was going to lose the pole and I touched my line which apparently you're never supposed to do. The man screamed at me and reached out and back-handed me across the chest and arm. My brothers didn't see that as they were up front diligently trying not to make a mistake. Thank goodness because if they had witnessed that we probably would have had to drive ourselves home. I will give him credit that he did come apologize later when he saw that I was crying. Then, he got tired of losing his hooks on the rocks so he took us to a location where the ground was smooth and there was not so much ad a nibble for hours while we dutifully continued our pole management so as not to be chastised. For the entire part of that several hour bore fest, he chatted loudly on his cell phone nonstop the whole time so we felt like we couldn't even visit with one another lest we interrupt his phone conversations. In fact, at one point he was talking about some fishing event and said to his "friend" , "you guys think I'm aggressive? These guys are way worse....full contact fishing...I can get into that!"...CLEARLY. Well, my sister did catch a good one at the very end of the day. When we got back to the dock he didn't even offer all 2 of our fish to us...we had to ask. He said he'd fillet while we put our stuff away. We went to the bathroom, put things away, started making some lunch, and then went back and he hasn't even started. We all had money in our pockets with the intent of tipping him nicely bit we did not tip at all. The weather was beautiful, the boat was pretty clean for a fishing rig, but the guide was the worst ever and he made the whole experience memorable... because we will forever talk about the fateful fishing trip with the bully fishing guide. My brother had been on many fishing excursions and he said he's never seen anything like it. Just don't do it. He's just not nice at all and has zero customer focus.

9  Thank MKCrump
See more reviews
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I booked two trips with Eagle Point Charters in 2011 and the trips had everything I was looking for and then some.

My first trip was a halibut charter and barbecue lunch. We anchored up in Burrows Bay and went to work with the rods. Before long there was a fish on and after a memorable battle the halibut was on the deck of the boat.

I had such a great time, I booked a salmon fishing trip in August. Again, Captain Stacey put us right on the fish.

Normally, I would not write a review to be posted on the Internet, but I felt I must speak up for this young man.

I found his boat to be immaculate and extremely organized. His knowledge of fishing and his expertise is phenomenal. I whole heartedly endorse Eagle Point Charters and look forward to fishing with Captain Stacey again in 2012.

3  Thank Darla K