“A Nice Little Restaurant with a Beautiful View...and Bicycles!”
Review of Anderson's General Store - CLOSED

Anderson's General Store
Description: This is a terrific general store, restaurant, gallery, and music venue, serving the community of Guemes Island. A five minute ferry ride from Anacortes, it is a great day trip for visitors. Their chef puts out amazing dinner specials on weekends, and their breakfasts are addicting.
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We decided to go for a bike ride on Guemes Island and had heard that the restaurant there had bicycles you could borrow. This seemed like a great idea because my wife had brought hers but I hadn't. It turns out the Skagit Land Trust offers the bicycles to keep motor traffic down on the island. There were four brand new bikes. After a couple of hours of riding we were more than ready for food and refreshment so after we returned the bike we enjoyed a very nice local green salad. The beer selection was small but good and included one of my favorite IPAs. My wife was very pleased about their selection of wines by the glass. If you're going, the ferry ride from Anacortes takes about eight minutes, and the restaurant is less than a five-minute walk from the ferry landing. Reservations are not necessary and the service was excellent.

Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

As an Guemes Islander, I used to enjoy a dinner or lunch here. Or, if I was I need of a lemon, a loaf of bread sour cream for a meal I was preparing, the store was always there for us. Now, the store has very little merchandise... And the quality in the food prepared and grocery items is less than before. It appears the new owners ( of less than one year) are trying to make a big splash on our little island t attack folks from off island.. And we as islanders don't really matter anymore. The music scene is nice for some....beer and hard liquor to go with! Pretty spendy, i might add...but what if we just want a really good hamburger or salad....customer service is not good...i believe they have lost all the really good employees..Hmmm., what does that tell you? They have also hired some not so good ones...oops, had to fire those! We all just wonder how long it will last...and when can we have our island general store /restaurant back...

7  Thank Marla H
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We were day tripping to Guemes, stopped in here to get some snacks and fancy Belgium beer, a good $20 or more. First they charged .25/ per paper cup. After spending a fair amount. Well, weak, but not all out obnoxious. But When I discovered needed the corkscrew, it was either buy one for $5 or charge me $5 corkage fee or some crap, to drink it out on the lawn. That WAS weak AND obnoxious.

7  Thank Johmo
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We spent Valentines weekend in Anacortes and took the ferry to Guemes Island one day. To kill a little time before heading back on the ferry, we popped into the General Store. OMG, it smelled so good, we decided to check out the menu in the little bistro. A couple with big grins said we wouldn't be sorry, so we sat down and ordered. We're vegetarians and could choose from Caesar salad, breaded tempeh with yakisoba, or a black bean burger. We both went with the burgers and got a side of home fries. The best black bean burger I've ever had, and I'm 70 yo. The home fries must've been russets cut in fifths lengthwise, deep fried, then baked so they were nice and dark. We got an extra order to take back to our cottage; they wouldn't sell us some uncooked bean burger patties (probably health code) but the chef came out and gave us the recipe. So, we missed going to a fave restaurant in Anacortes this trip but won big by discovering this hidden jewel across the water. Very friendly staff, too!

Reviewed March 8, 2013

were were staying on the island for 3 days, so we thought we'd stop in for lunch. this is more or less a general store, but it has a smallish dining area and bar.

Reuben was excellent... good size... great dark bread, excellent island fresh kraut, and lean pastrami. There was also a sauce on it that was great. It came with a side of fries, but I subbed out a cup of clam chowder, which was very good, and different. It was $15 bucks for that, but being the quality and portion size was good.. I can't complain due to the location.

They serve dinner and breakfast as well... and also have a good supply of beer and wine and a decent assortment of other food items.

service was good.. although, for breakfast and lunch, you just order at the counter... and they bring it out.