“Fresh ingredients,meticulous preparation”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We've lived in Anacortes for about 13 years. We've seen restaurants come and go at this location, and can honestly say they are at their peek. Chef Dusty has brought in many more local fresh ingredients and adds a bit of a Southern flair while staying true to the Northwest style as well. I don't find many restaurants anymore where I actually stop talking to savor the flavors of the food. This one did it. Very good! Any foodie would be impressed!

Matt P, Manager at 5th Street Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

We truly appreciate your feedback. Chef Dusty has been with us for 6 months now and works every day to increase our usage of local purveyors to deliver the finest and freshest dining experience. Be on the watch for our upcoming menu change in March!

Reviewed February 14, 2013

My wife insisted that we should go to the 5th Street Bistro for Valentine's Day. I wanted to take her to Adrift but it was her call. I called for reservations a couple of days ago. They only had room at 7:30, which was fine since I work late. The woman taking the reservation informed me of their special Valentine's Dinner For Two, for $37 a person. It sounded fine but I asked if we could also choose from the regular menu, in case my particular wife was not attracted to the "special menu." The woman replied, "of course you may."

On Valentine's night, our waitress brought us the Valentine's Menu. I explained that we also would like the option of ordering from the regular menu. Our original waitress was very courteous but seemed a bit confused, so I explained what happened when I made the reservation. She left for what I thought would be the regular menus, but she returned with another waitress who told us in a rather scolding manner that if we wanted to order from the regular menu we would have to move to another part of the restaurant. I asked the original (courteous) waitress for the manager.

The manager listened, apologized, offered us a free beverage and brought us the regular menus. We actually ended up ordering the Valentine's Menu. The manager said that we could wait to order dessert until later. The food was excellent but after they picked the dishes up from the second course we were left alone for approximately 45 minutes. At first I figured everyone was busy, but after 15 minutes with nobody asking if we needed anything, not a drink, not water, not dessert, I started looking to flag someone down.

I really did not want to complain, but I could not even get a server to look at me for 45 minutes. I was about to get up and leave when a waitress came walking by and I mentioned that we had been waiting for service for 45 minutes. She apologized and left. The manager did not have the courage to face us at that point, so he sent the original (courteous) waitress to inform us that our dinner was on the house for our inconvenience. She did not offer us the dessert menu or the after dinner champagne toast until I asked if that would be included in our "free dinner."

The desserts we took home with us were poor.

Our Valentine's Day dinner was so horrible, that I am sure that we will remember it and laugh about it in the future, kind of like a truly horrific movie.

I am not interested in gratis dinners. This is a perfect example of how terrible service can ruin decent cuisine. We go out quite a lot in cities all over the world. It is embarrassing to have to admit that the worst service that we can remember experiencing was right here in our hometown.

Disgraceful and inexcusable.

Matt P, Owner at 5th Street Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Our business success depends on creating memorable experiences for our guests on such special occassions. We clearly missed the mark and this is unforgiveable. We served over 100 couples for this event and feedback has been fabulous. Your experience was far from "Majestic" and our goal is not 99 out of 100 satisfied - We demand and our guests deserve 100%!

I agree comping your dinner is not the point, which is you deserve to have a great evening. I would appreciate the opportunity to wipe this memory away with one you deserve and we can deliver.

Best Regards,
Russ Olivier
Director of Operations
360-299-1400 X108

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Had lunch there the other day with the girls. Steak salad was good, good, good as was the creme bruele. They are here to stay. I also learned my old gift certificate from the previous owners spa would be honored. Fantastic.

The steak salad is one of my favorites -- Excellent Choice. It was our pleasure to honor your gift certificate. We hope to see you again soon!!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

For the last couple of years this has been a favorite restaurant of ours. But the new chef has changed our favorite dishes to the point that we just don't want to eat there any more. We had rack of lamb ($30 each), friends had fish and chips ($17) and salmon ($30, I think). Nothing like it was with the old chef, and the changes were definitely not for the better--salty, oddly spiced, smaller servings. Very noisy in there so we could hardly talk. Waitress very friendly and efficient. But we won't be back.

Matt P, Guest Relations Manager at 5th Street Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

I sincerely apologize for your negative experience. We have addressed the concerns about the menu that you had brought to light, and always seek improvement. I would appreciate the opportunity to personally speak to you about your meal. Please feel free to give me a call, as I would enjoy having you as a guest again.
--Matt (360) 299-1400 ext. 111

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed and the Majestic during our trip and were pleasantly surprised that their new chef was very "into" gluten free. I am a celiac and he was very easy to talk to and had many menu choices I typically can't have. A really great restaurant (and bar!). I believe they are going to be expanding their gluten free menu in the near future.

Matt P, Guest Relations Manager at 5th Street Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Thank you for the review, Vicki. Executive Chef Dusty is always willing to cater to the guest's need, and we're glad you were able to find gluten-free options. Since your last visit, Chef has introduced gluten free options to all bread items on the menu. Hopefully we'll have you back soon!