All reviewsstorm kingadirondack chairslake quinaultnice fireplaceeasy accesscabinangeleshostsfirewood
Reviewed October 6, 2008

I booked my cabin after seeing a few photos online via the Lochaerie website. I made my reservations over the phone at which point I was told the terms of payment. 50% upfront and the rest due at check in. My confirmation was mailed to me as the manager does not email. My confirmation was recieved by mail within a week.

I was a bit nervous about staying here after reading the reviews of this place. There is no refund on cancelled stays, but you are offered a credit for one year. All of this is clearly stated on the website, and in the literature I was mailed.

Upon arrival I was given a tour of my cabin and instructions on using the fireplace and kitchen. Hot water is on demand and I was told to give the heater a few moments to warm up. I was given firewood for 2 days and had leftover in the cabin.

The cabin was very charming and spotlessly clean. The bed was comfortable and there were plenty of blankets to stay warm. The kitchen was stocked with a drip coffeemaker, pots, pans, and cutlery, stove and fridge. There were plenty of towels and soap. My bedroom looked directly out to to lake, and the cabin was totally private and quiet. The cabin settings are very lovely. The road the resort is on goes all the way around the lake and is spectacular, and you are within minutes of wonderful sights from the cabins both hiking and driving.

I was in the Angeles cabin, which is mid-way down stone stairs to the lake. The stairs were very dark at night. I had no issues with them, but older folks should be cautious. There is one light, but it does not shine on all the stairs.

My only minor complaint was the hot water. As the unit is on demand, the hot water pressure for the shower was low, but it was not the end of the world.

The upper cabins are less private, and look to be for multiple people or those who have issues with stairs. The lower cabins are very private and involve the stone stairs.

I recommend buying food in Aberdeen if you drive up from Tacoma. There are only 4 places close by to eat, and all just average. Cooking in the cabin was a pleasure.

I would recommend this place for couples, or for a single person wanting silence and solitude. Children might be a little bored here and would be better at the resorts on the other side of the lake, and older people may have issues with access to lower cabins and the lake. The price is comparable to the other places to stay around the lake. The payment policy is stiff, so make sure you can actually go when you reserve a cabin. There are no refunds.

For a more rustic experience at Lake Quinalt, I would recommend these cabins, and I hope I can stay here again. For privacy, beauty and quiet, this place can't be beat.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
6  Thank Thedarwin
Reviewed August 26, 2008

Good to know the owner, Tim loves his resort.
Otherwise beware of bad management, bad manners and way overpriced.
Use to be reasonable and quaint. Now it is overpriced and not even adored by the Yuppies who can afford it.
Too bad. Could be a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank MommieDearest_8
Reviewed May 20, 2008

We just had the very best weekend get-a-way - we stayed in the Olympus and it was lovely. Nice little kitchen - forest and lake views from each of the ample windows. Fireplace and plenty of wood. The area is sublime. We loved walking in the forest and saw lots of critters including; bear, elk, raccoon (fat coons) frogs and lot's of birds. We booked the cabin before reading the reviews in trip advisor, so we were a little nervous. We could not have been more pleased. The cabins are rustic, but not run down and everything was perfect in every way. We will stay in the Lochaerie again. Very soon, I hope.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TimCrowley
Reviewed October 15, 2007

A group of friends rented 3 cabins for New Year's weekend. Getting down to the Storm King was a pain in the * but not insurmountable. The Elinor & Olympus were easy entry, adjacent to gravel parking lot. Rates were $100 per night, steep for a rustic cabin that has the tiniest bathrooms in the world! I did not have any "cat pee" problems, the fireplaces were great, the kitchens had everything we needed. Bring your own firewood if you like a roaring blaze, they used to have a policy of charging you for extra wood. We were planning on renting 4 cabins for New Year's weekend in a few months but it sounds like greatly increased prices, a harsh no cancellation policy and a 3-day minimum it may be the beach instead.

Stayed: January 2006
2  Thank jrebel
Reviewed August 27, 2007

The first time we stayed, it was a spur of the moment thing, and the cabin we stayed in was like a dream cabin. Christy.
The managers, and older couple, were new to the place and very nice, although I noticed they had a lot of cats.
The cabin was $50 per night. Rustic but so much fun.
We ended up staying several nights it was so romantic and peaceful.

I talked about the place so much my whole family decided to go the next year instead of Chelan, although my elderly parents stayed at the lodge, Lake Quinalt, across the lake.

I should have changed our plans when we were told we had to pay the whole week in advance with NO REFUNDS.
But I insisted, and will never live down how treacherous it was getting my mother down to the cabin my brother rented, she fell and hit her head on the staircase.

Then the cat pee on everything was totally unbearable. Rustic I can live with, I love it, even the hike to the lower cabins was well worth it.
But the smell of cat pee on the furniture and the bedding was gagging to say the least.

For 50$ a night the place is worth it, but the horribly inflated prices now are outrageous.

I believe the owner is from Bellevue and a Microsoftie. Tom, his last name escapes me. But you can find the real owner through tax records for that property on line.

• Stayed: July 2003, traveled with family