“A perfect 10”
Review of Lochaerie Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amanda Park
Lochaerie Resort
Reviewed February 11, 2012

This is one of those place you hate to review, since once you've visited there's a huge temptation to hope it will remain a well-kept secret. My husband and I have been visiting Locharie Resort a few times a year for the past couple of years. The cottages are pretty rustic - don't go if you're expecting the Four Season or something like that. But if you want a quiet weekend away from the 24/7 connected electronic world, this is the place to go. The view of Lake Quinalt is spectacular, the cabins and clean and charming, with wood burning stoves. The hosts, Chris and Tom are extremely friendly and helpful. In summary - a perfect 10 - even though I can only give is the official 5 stars

Room Tip: Sorry - that's one secret I'm going to keep for myself :)
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Sarah H
There are newer reviews for Lochaerie Resort

Reviewed August 22, 2011

I booked a cabin at Lochaerie Resort after looking at their website and reading some of the reviews on other sites. When I called to make my reservation the owner was extremely friendly and helpful. The stay was to be a birthday surprise for my wife so she agreed to contact me only by email in order not to ruin the surprise.
A day or so before we were to leave I went online to print out directions and while online I read some more reviews of the resort. I found several reviews that were quite negative, which, of course, caused me some concern. IGNORE THE BAD REVIEWS!
Lochaerie is a delightful place with well kept grounds and charming cabins. The cabins while quite old are clean and comfortable. If you are looking for T.V.s and soda machines and institutional decor I suggest you go elsewhere.
We stayed in Elinor which was perfect for the two of us. It had a small but well equipped kitchen, fireplace comfortable double bed and a porch with Adirondack Chairs.
My wife and I have stayed in quite a few Bed and Breaksfasts, lodges and resorts.
Lochaerie is now at the top of our list as a favorite. The owners were incredibly friendly and accomodating.
The location is wonderful with great views of the lake and mountains. I could go on for quite some time about how much we enjoyed our stay there but my main point was to let you know that whoever wrote those negative reviews (which are not recent by the way) is not playing with a full deck.
Go, stay and enjoy.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Joe F
Reviewed July 23, 2011

We stayed in the Elinor cabin for 2 nights. Although it is old, it is clean and well maintained and has everything you could need. The bedroom and bathroom are small, but overall it was quite comfortable for 2 people. This cabin does not require using the steps mentioned by previous reviewers, but it is less private since it is next to the parking lot. Nonetheless it has a comfortable porch with a beautiful view of the lake and certainly makes for a quiet and relaxing getaway. The owners were very friendly and helpful. We highly recommend Lochaerie to anyone looking for a peaceful time in a remote beautiful area.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NJtravelers613
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Lochaerie Resort - Storm King cabin was excellent and pretty much beyond words. Had we known what we know now, we would have stayed much longer than 2 nights.

As the location says, the Resort is within Olympic National Park on the north shore of Lake Quinault. This is a VERY remote area and it is highly suggested that you do your grocery shopping in one of the bigger cities that are about an hour away.

We stayed in the Storm King cabin, which is one of the closest cabins down by the lake. When staying in this cabin, beware that it is a little bit of a "hike" down uneven ground and stairs, so if you have trouble walking it is suggested that you stay at one of the cabins higher up the hill.

The cabin is about 75 years old and has enough bed space to sleep about 5 people. One of the beds (double) is in a loft area upstairs, which was pretty cool!

The cabin has full electrical service, heat and a wood burning fireplace. The kitchen comes fully stocked with dishes, pots and pans and silverware. You will need to bring your own food and drinks as this is not provided.

Fresh towels and linens were provided and also a few small bars of soap to use.

The owners, Chris and Tom, are extremely friendly and will provide you with tons of information about the area should you decide to venture out of your cabin to explore the Park.

Note that NONE of the cabins have television or phones, as the point of staying here is to enjoy nature and to "get away from it all". At first, I was apprehensive about this, but once I was there about 5 minutes and saw the VIEW from the cabin (you are literally ON the lake in Storm King!), I got over the no TV or phones!

Storm King has a full supply of books and even games that you can enjoy during your stay and you are provided with enough wood (a bundle) for one fire a day in the fireplace. Extra wood can be purchased directly from the office at a small cost if you want to have a longer burning fire each day.

Another nice thing is that they have several canoes and kayaks that you can check out and use on the Lake for no charge. Life jackets and oars/paddles are provided that you use with them.

Again, I can't say enough good things about Chris & Tom as well as Storm King itself. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND staying here, especially in Storm King.

If you do decide to stay in Storm King, don't forget to fill out the Journal that they provide - it's pretty neat to read about other's experiences over the years that have stayed in the same place you are!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank tazmaniandvl
Reviewed February 24, 2011

We stayed here on the spur of the moment after procrastinating about what to do for our kids' mid-winter break. Googling "Lake Quinault" and "cabins" brought up some gorgeous photos of Lochaerie, so we called. They had an opening and the lady who answered was so nice that we decided to book two nights.
The resort is small but very easy to find. On the way, we stopped in Aberdeen and bought groceries (naturally we forgot some stuff - more about that later) and headed up Hwy 101. By the time we got to Lake Quinault a sunny afternoon was turning cloudy, but our cabin - Colonel Bob - had a great view of the lake and a cozy, freestanding fireplace ready to light. The cabins come with a bundle of wood each day, but you can buy extra for $4.50 a bundle (on par with what you would pay at a store by the highway). Our cabin had forced air heat downstairs and baseboard heaters in every bedroom so we didn't NEED the fireplace but, you know, you have to build a fire when you're in a cabin. There are stairs down to the cabin so I wouldn't recommend this one to anyone with difficulty walking, but the stairs are good-sized and well-lit and not a problem for kids or minimally-fit adults.
There are canoes and kayaks available to use but it was too cold for us (it snowed) so we pretty much stayed inside. We drove partway around the lake and stopped for several short hikes, which were beautiful and not too hard for our 7-year-old, and visited the 'general store' of a more touristy resort on the South shore of the lake so we could get pickles and mustard and some other stuff I had forgotten to buy before.
The Colonel Bob cabin has no TV but we brought laptop and some DVDs for fun, and because the kids each finished reading the books they had brought. In case you want/need to stay in touch, we got excellent cell reception there.
The kitchen has every pot, pan or utensil you might need if you wanted to cook a meal or even bake a cake from scratch. The bathroom was efficient and spotless, with a nice fan and heat lamp and good water pressure in the shower. The beds and bedrooms were cozy, and we liked that each bed had a warm comforter folded up on its foot. Although this is the newest of the cabins it was filled with nice decorations and furniture so it felt classic, like its fellow cabins.
We had a lovely visit.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank La_Seattle100
Reviewed June 1, 2009

These renovated 1920s era cabins have everything you would want (hot water, toilet, fireplace, gas range, fridge) without losing their quaint lake-cabin feel. It provided a great family get away.
Although the price seemed a little steep, it was evident that the owners are pouring a lot of money into the resort in upkeep and renovation. We rented Christie and Storm King for two nights and split the price between 6 people, which made it pretty reasonable.
We had planty of wood for a roaring fire every morning and night, and I would definitely recommend taking the canoes out for a few hours!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank bikeseattle
Reviewed October 6, 2008

I booked my cabin after seeing a few photos online via the Lochaerie website. I made my reservations over the phone at which point I was told the terms of payment. 50% upfront and the rest due at check in. My confirmation was mailed to me as the manager does not email. My confirmation was recieved by mail within a week.

I was a bit nervous about staying here after reading the reviews of this place. There is no refund on cancelled stays, but you are offered a credit for one year. All of this is clearly stated on the website, and in the literature I was mailed.

Upon arrival I was given a tour of my cabin and instructions on using the fireplace and kitchen. Hot water is on demand and I was told to give the heater a few moments to warm up. I was given firewood for 2 days and had leftover in the cabin.

The cabin was very charming and spotlessly clean. The bed was comfortable and there were plenty of blankets to stay warm. The kitchen was stocked with a drip coffeemaker, pots, pans, and cutlery, stove and fridge. There were plenty of towels and soap. My bedroom looked directly out to to lake, and the cabin was totally private and quiet. The cabin settings are very lovely. The road the resort is on goes all the way around the lake and is spectacular, and you are within minutes of wonderful sights from the cabins both hiking and driving.

I was in the Angeles cabin, which is mid-way down stone stairs to the lake. The stairs were very dark at night. I had no issues with them, but older folks should be cautious. There is one light, but it does not shine on all the stairs.

My only minor complaint was the hot water. As the unit is on demand, the hot water pressure for the shower was low, but it was not the end of the world.

The upper cabins are less private, and look to be for multiple people or those who have issues with stairs. The lower cabins are very private and involve the stone stairs.

I recommend buying food in Aberdeen if you drive up from Tacoma. There are only 4 places close by to eat, and all just average. Cooking in the cabin was a pleasure.

I would recommend this place for couples, or for a single person wanting silence and solitude. Children might be a little bored here and would be better at the resorts on the other side of the lake, and older people may have issues with access to lower cabins and the lake. The price is comparable to the other places to stay around the lake. The payment policy is stiff, so make sure you can actually go when you reserve a cabin. There are no refunds.

For a more rustic experience at Lake Quinalt, I would recommend these cabins, and I hope I can stay here again. For privacy, beauty and quiet, this place can't be beat.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank Thedarwin
Moonstone Beach Motel
Moonstone Beach Motel
#1 of 3 in Moclips
Rain Forest Resort Village

Been to Lochaerie Resort? Share your experiences!